• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

New Contributor perks, improved features (waterslides, sharks, etc.)

EvilSeph

Administrator
Some of you may have noticed that I've been more quiet than usual lately. Fear not, it is not because we are slowing down with the improvements and what we have to offer - in fact, it is the exact opposite. If all the things we have done were a pile of papers that could be placed on my desk and you came to visit me in my "office", you'd probably think that I've made some pillars out of paper. :w00t: We have a lot of things done and now it falls to me to choose which ones to announce and go live with.

While being a Contributor itself is a great honour and usually enough thanks for the hard-working people in our Contributor program, we are always looking for cool things and more ways to show our gratitude to those that have given so much to M for Mature and are a crucial piece of the puzzle that is the M for Mature you see today. Without these hardworking individuals, we definitely would not be where we are today.

That being said, it is my absolute pleasure to be unveiling a few changes we're making to our Contributor program:

A long sought after feature for anyone that has used vBulletin is the ability for members of a special group to "endlessly" edit their thread titles (this is especially useful for Developers or guide writers). For a normal member there is a 30 minute grace period where you may edit your thread title after posting (either through editing the first post in your thread or by double clicking on the title of your thread in the thread list).

Thanks very much (and once again) to Hellcat, we can now offer "unlimited" thread title editing to our hardworking Contributors. For those out there, like Copacetic, who believe that we are only offering Contributors features that can be found in vBulletin, here's one you can't find anywhere else (to my knowledge) - or at least is not included in vBulletin by default.

Along with lifting this limit, we thought, why stop there? People in our Contributor program are helpful, well behaved, dedicated and loyal individuals that would greatly benefit from several other limits being lifted and so, that is what we are doing. We've decided to remove every limit we, reasonably, can for Contributors - this means that Contributors will no longer have to wait 30 seconds to post a new thread or start a new search, etc.

For those of you who aren't Contributors (yet!), we've not forgotten about you!

Every time I come across one of those "I agree" blocks that we use for YouTube videos, I have to click I agree just to see what the video name is. Well, no more! I got sick and tired of doing that, so I decided to develop an Enhanced YouTube bbcode.

This new and improved YouTube bbcode that I've created enables you to do a lot of things and removes the need to click through the video to see a better quality version of it. That's right guys, our YouTube bbcode now supports HD and HQ youtube videos, read on to find out how ;)

Being the crazy perfectionist that I am, I like to make sure improvements we make on things are as special and cool as they can be, to the very best of my ability. That being said, I am really proud of my Enhanced YouTube bbcode and hope you guys like it as much as I enjoyed making it :)

Where to start? Well, I think the best part of the Enhanced YouTube BBcode is that is automagically(!) grabs the video's title from the YouTube URL and displays it next to the "I agree" button. That's right, automagically. Now all you have to do is browse a thread and skim over the I agree box that you're all familiar with and you'll know exactly what video someone has decided to post.

Next, I've added the ability to specify what quality the video should be embedded with. Since YouTube can support normal, high quality and hi-definition. We now allow you to embed videos that support normal, high quality or hi-definition.

No more do you have to view game trailers or movie trailers in pixilated goodness or be forced to click through to see the trailer as it was intended to be seen. Just embed the video using the proper parameters/options and you'll be able to view it as it was intended to be viewed. Crisp, great looking graphics that make you wonder if what you see is real or not and make you want to touch your screen. :p

Wouldn't it be great if you could point someone to an exact point in the YouTube video you want them to watch or highlight in your post? Well, now you can. I've been doing a little (obsessive :blush:) research into what YouTube embeds are capable of and came across this little gem: the ability to specify how many seconds you would like the video to skip when embedding it.

Naturally, I thought it would be really great to give you guys this functionality but since I don't believe anyone can convert large numbers of seconds into minutes I wasn't satisfied with the feature only allowing you to specify the time to skip in seconds. To remedy this, I made the Enhanced bbcode accept minutes:seconds as the parameter for the time skipping feature.

Lastly, I just had to include a much requested feature and something that just makes sense anyway: you can now embed YouTube videos by specifying the YouTube video URL. That's right, URL, not just the ID (although they both work).

So, how do we start using all these new features? Simple, you just follow these guidelines:

The bbcode generally looks like this:
[noparse][yt=quality;time_to_skip_in_minutes:seconds]youtube_video_url[/yt][/noparse]

You basically replace quality with either "normal", "hq" or "hd" depending on what quality you'd like the embedded video to be. NOTE: Please be sure that the video you are embedding supports the quality mode you'd like to use or else the video will NOT work.

Where it says "time_to_skip_in_minutes:seconds" you simple put the time you wish to skip ahead in the video. NOTE: Please don't try and specify a skip time past the length of the video. The world will implode. Although, as I test this right now...YouTube doesn't seem to support their own feature...hopefully this is temporary (or because I'm using Opera or something...:()

Still don't get it? Here are some examples, complete with sharks and waterslides for those in the know ;). Lasers will be coming soon :cool:.

High Quality video:
[noparse][yt=hq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQILJ4VLpEc[/yt][/noparse]
[yt=hq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQILJ4VLpEc[/yt]

High Quality video, 30 seconds in:
[noparse][yt=hq;0:30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2FInaOCqoo[/yt][/noparse]
[yt=hq;0:30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2FInaOCqoo[/yt]

Hi-Definition video:
[noparse][yt=hd]euwBiiiWcYE[/yt][/noparse]
[yt=hd]euwBiiiWcYE[/yt]

Hi-Definition video, 1 minute in:
[noparse][yt=hd;1:00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwBiiiWcYE[/yt][/noparse]
[yt=hd;1:00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwBiiiWcYE[/yt]

Hi-Definition video, 30 seconds in:
[noparse][yt=hd;0:30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwBiiiWcYE[/yt][/noparse]
[yt=hd;0:30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwBiiiWcYE[/yt]

Of course, the basically functionality remains the same as the YouTube tag you're so familiar with and any parameters can be omitted (which would make them use their defaults):
[noparse][yt=normal;1:00]videoid[yt] is the same as [yt=;1:00]videoid[/yt]
[yt=normal;1:00]videoid[yt] is the same as [yt=;1:00]videoid[/yt]
[yt]videoid[/yt] is the same as [yt=normal]videoid[/yt]
And so on.[/noparse]

Oh and, one more thing, I wasn't really satisfied with the double post prevention system as it wasn't informative enough, so I've changed that too. Instead of the "Additional comment:" separator, we now have a more visible, more informative separator that looks something like this:
---------- Post added at 12:04 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM EST ----------

Usually, I'd be posting a draft of this in the Contributor forum as they get to see and know about everything we're working on first, but since this time it involves them, I thought we'd surprise them ;)

Hope you guys enjoy the new features! As always, if you have any ideas or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know!

birdman

i was not surprised (you told me xD).

Its amazing stuff tho, I noticed the double post addition thing when we were testing in off topic.

MForMature has some of the best features on the internet. I know that this is something you constantly strive for when you (and the staff, and the contributors) give us new fun features.

When I say the contributors try to make content for the site as informative and useful as possible, I don't mean to brag. (well, yes i do) Ive seen hours of work go into the smallest detail, because in the end, its the details that make a site like this great.

So, I encourage you (the members) to bring everyone you can. The members of any site are the true contributors. You are the backbone on which a civilization can be built or destroyed.

[this is not a site sponsored announcement, i just got caught up in my rambling]

twelve

I'm not dead
Something that hasn't been announced is that if you are getting friends to sign up then get them to use your referral link. The link can be found in your UserCP:
M for Mature Forums

Currently you get nothing but a big ego from this. But in the future there could be some sort of reward for the highest referrers.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Amazing work.

Slasher

Suck It
Just a heads up, but I can't edit my thread titles, and I also still have a 15 second search waiting time?

Seth

MD Party Room
Very nice and welcome changes..Thanks..