• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi New to consoles, please help.

sirfkartik

I want to buy either an Xbox360, or a PS3. Please tell me which one I should buy, as my only concerns are-
1. Hackability of console (Can I play downloaded? Can I still use the Hard Disk? and so forth about how advanced the hacks are.);
2. Availability of game downloads; &
3. Number of games.

elite

Oldie moldie
The PS3 graphics is slightly better than the Xbox 360 imo. However, it mainly depends on how the game is developed. The exclusives are few. It has Blu-ray, built-in Wireless adapter, free subscription in PSN and internet. Unlike the Xbox360, which requires an extra 100$ for wireless adapter, extra 50$ for internet subscription, and extra money if you want to get blue-tooth working. The PS3 already has blue-tooth. It can stand up to 7 wireless devices. 2 USB ports which can be increased by connecting a hub. It isn't a washing machine (very quiet), unlike the Xbox360.

PS3 wireless controllers are rechargeable. The Xbox360's wireless controllers has replacable batteries. You have to spend extra money if you want to get rechargeable batteries.

The PS2 controllers are supported on the PS3 via a normal adapter that can be used on PC.

As for you main concern, atm the Xbox360 can play backed up games while the PS3 can't. However, you can check the recent hack by Geohot for the PS3. It is no where near normal users though.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
the xbox 360 is currently the only of the two that you can pirate games on although it is a tricky and risky process

Riorio99

If you're just in it for Piracy, 360 is easily the best bet, as it could be months before a properly stable, user-friendly PS3 ISO loader is out, and even then, it will take ages to download some of the games, as they can reach around 35gb for games like Metal Gear Solid 4. And then you have to factor in the relative expense of buying a Blu-Ray burner and blank Blu-Rays over the DVD alternatives.

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
Sirfkartik, I recommend a PS3 if you want the exclusive quality of games like uncharted 2 and free online and featues that elite mentioned. But this depends on whether you are willing to shell out for games which i would because a lot of the games produced now and so far have been good and worth my money. Plus PS3 piracy just isn't practical, Blu ray discs are expensive plus the games can be 4 or 5 times as large as an xbox 360 game and you would need a blu ray burner so it really just isn't worth the effort.

Let's put it this way: PS3 won't be hacked and ISO loading in the near future and even when the PS4 comes out, the ps3 probably won't be fully hacked (slim and phat ISO Loading)

If you are just in it for free games, buy a prehacked Xbox 360 and you can download games but if they are too tedious and large to donwload, you can buy these downloaded copies pre-burned and ready to play for cheap online (about 10-20% retail price). I won't mention any sites though.

P.S, I have a PS3 but am pretty neutral when it comes to the debate between the two.