• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3DS Nintendo 3DS Uses Friend Code System

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

Famitsu has published details earlier this week which suggest the use the dreaded friend code system on the Nintendo 3DS. Adriasang gave us the scoop on the article which reveals the use of friend codes in the launch-title Super Street Fighter IV 3D. It is unclear however if these friend codes will be system-wide or change with each game.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Online Play Detailed [Adriasang[...]

Continue reading: [Rumor] Nintendo 3DS Uses Friend Code System...

Riorio99

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just for the system. It's just the same as PSN or Gamertags, but with random numbers. Some sort of screen name would be superior.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just for the system. It's just the same as PSN or Gamertags, but with random numbers. Some sort of screen name would be superior.

The problem with friend codes is that it's nearly impossible to remember the code (unless you use it all the time, which you really don't). It's like memorizing your cell number the first time you get it. You often need to look it up and it's a nuisance compared to a simple username scheme

Adiuvo

Each time another announcement about the 3DS comes out it looks less and less attractive.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Sounds like online on 3DS will be a total bust then :( Haaate the friend codes system. You'd think Nintendo would have learned by now.

Each time another announcement about the 3DS comes out it looks less and less attractive.

I feel this way too. I'm more excited about the PSP2 at this point..

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Sounds like online on 3DS will be a total bust then :( Haaate the friend codes system. You'd think Nintendo would have learned by now.

Was thinking the same thing. Since I'm always tight on money I might just skip by the 3DS and await the PSP2's release. Money just doesn't grow on trees for me anymore

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Was thinking the same thing. Since I'm always tight on money I might just skip by the 3DS and await the PSP2's release. Money just doesn't grow on trees for me anymore

Technically it still does, it's just unprocessed :p

I'd still be getting a 3DS I reckon, just not right away at launch and possibly wait for a hardware revision to a matt finish :\

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
WHAT ARE YOU THINKING NINTENDO?
Seriously, is there a single upside to friend codes apart from "ooooh waahhh someone took the name I wanted"...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I would rather my 6 year nephew use a friend code than have an online username for pedos to follow around.

Yeah, but they could mask usernames based on parental control settings. Don't see why everyone has to be forced into using friend codes.

Deathrow

The more news I read about the 3DS, the more I think about getting one. My nostalgia senses are tingling for playing rehashes and most likely a lot of new originals. Sadly, I want a 3DS and PSP2. Here gaming industry, just take my money lulz

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I also kind of view this as Nintendo refusing to buy into the whole achievement/trophy tracking thing.

Riorio99

I think I'll wait for a price drop and/or the re-hash, my DS Lite is in working order (kinda) and there's plenty of stuff still coming out for it. I'll not be missing out.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

I agree with both of you, but I don't know if I'm willing to risk a Sony portable again... The PSP is good and has great games, but it doesn't have as much as it could have.

TanKwonShinobi

First region lock, now this friend code garbage. The reasons not to get a 3DS keep piling up and i was actually looking forward to it o.o