• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3DS Nintendo Region Locks 3DS

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Mushrooms.jpg

Bad news for importers: a rep on Nintendo of Japan's tech support line has confirmed that the 3DS is indeed region locked. While Nintendo handhelds have traditionally been region-free in the spirit of portability, the company broke that long-standing tradition with the advent of the DSi and DSi XL. Both allow carts with DSi-specific features and DSiWare titles to be played only on units that match the target region.

The effects of region locking are more detrimental in the 3DS' case, given that releases of DSi-specific carts were few and far between[...]

Continue reading: Nintendo Region Locks 3DS...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Ninty, region-lock is SO 1999... xD

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Doesn't matter, flashcarts will come out pretty fast then it won't matter :p

TanKwonShinobi

Wait so... I won't be able to play japanese games now... I'll beforced to play games dubbed. I have to wait 2 years to play street fighter 3DS. I have to resort to pirac? Nintendo you're pissing me off and you're forcing me to pirate your handheld. I planned on buying all my games legitmately but nooooo. I hope they read this....

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Just dropped in to say that the 3DS is apparently going to be region unlocked.

Good news for those who want it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just dropped in to say that the 3DS is apparently going to be region unlocked.

Good news for those who want it.

Where did you hear this? Reports indicate it's region free for old DS games, locked for 3DS ones. Nothing unexpected.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Where did you hear this? Reports indicate it's region free for old DS games, locked for 3DS ones. Nothing unexpected.

Yeah I meant for DS. Sorry.

Was it known? I had no idea xD