• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi No next gen consoles in till 2015

blirt

Because if you think about it, back then, cpu and gpus were getting huge upgrades. But now, if you were to make a playstation 4, why upgrade the graphics when todays graphics are at 1080p. Why upgrade the cpu when most of the computers today still dont match that same ghz speed. Also, think econommically. Next gen consoles always costmore money to produce. And i dont think game developers are ready yet to start developing next gen. Even Sony and Microsoft said they expect xbox 360 and ps3 to be a 10 year product before developing another console. The only one that could have a whole new upgrade is wii. As its poccessor is a bit out dated and could use upgrading to HD. Nevertheless, i expect next gen consoles to come in 2015.

P.S, Since Sony and Microsoft released their Playstation Move and Kinect, that gives even more of a console lifespan.

Summary; Their is really nothing to improve at this time. The current console capabilitys are great. Please dont say like omg, what about 4ghz proccessor n00b! or crap like that.
Looks like im going to go buy myself a desktop.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Desktops where all the fun is anyways ;D

*says the guy with 146 games on Steam*

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I don't think it will be that late, I'm guessing we'll see new console launches in 2012.

Adiuvo

Consoles do have a lot to improve on tech wise. Very few games can go to 1080P native, and even 720P games have hardly any anti-aliasing, if they have it at all. Frames are also usually in the 25-30 range, rather than the optimal 60+.

As for when they'll come around, I'm guessing around 2013, with a 2011 or 2012 announcement.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Majority of console titles suffer from low-res textures and jaggies due to a lack of AA.

Also, the average high-end PC is way faster than the current crop of consoles. Metro 2033 on PC looks a generation ahead compared to its Xbox 360 counterpart.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
PC games will always be ahead of consoles graphically, that is just how it works.

The life span of consoles are a major selling point to me, I don't want to spend $400 on something that will be due for a replacement in 2-3 years. Not that I don't enjoy PC gaming occasionally. My computer tower right now serves as a stand-in for my late xbox 360 (provided the game supports controllers).

eldiablov

Contributor
The life span of consoles are a major selling point to me, I don't want to spend $400 on something that will be due for a replacement in 2-3 years.

Although I'm slightly ignorant in this department, I'm pretty sure the development of multi core processors has made this gap significantly larger.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I don't think it will be that late, I'm guessing we'll see new console launches in 2012.

That would be too early to launch a new console, I think an announcement in 2012 is more suitable. With the launch of new consoles late 2013.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
That would be too early to launch a new console, I think an announcement in 2012 is more suitable. With the launch of new consoles late 2013.

I'm expecting us to see a late 2012 launch. However with Kinect and Move "extending" the life cycles of the consoles than it's more likely that a 2013 launch is more suitable. If these "extensions" don't do much to help the product lifecycle of the systems then 2012 is more likely.

I forgot about Kinect and Move with my 2012 estimate

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Most developers are expecting a 2012 or 2013 rollout for new consoles. The only way this generation could drag on longer is if Kinect and Move are a HUGE hit. Let's be honest, though, there's no chance of that happening. I can't see the majority of Wii owners switching over.

LocutusEstBorg

I don't have a TV, I've only played the 360 and PS3 on a monitor while sitting at a desk. I don't like any of the Xbox (both the original Xbox and the 360) exclusives and I looked forward to the Playstation exclusives so my only choice was the PS3. However each year after launch I kept thinking "PS3 isn't mature yet, just a little while more until we see loads of quality games". Now 5 years down the line there are maybe 6 or 7 games I want to play on the PS3 and the graphics look like a fucking turd on my monitor. I just borrowed my friends PS3 to play GoW III and stuff.

During the PS2's time, PC graphics couldn't even come close it. There was almost no use of owning a GPU as everything worked maxed out on onboard graphics and still looked like shit as nothing made use of a GPU's abilities. I played and finished over a hundred PS2 games and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. That experience is simply not present on the current generation of consoles.

Consoles have been reduced to a poor man's gaming rig instead of being a luxury high quality entertainment system.

Unless they put a modern GPU in the new consoles, I don't see them as a worthy purchase. I mean come on, a 7800GTX after the 8800GTX has launched? It was instantly obsoleted by something 5 times as powerful as soon as it launched. They have to put a GTX580 or 6870 or whatever for it to last as long as the PS2.

Seth

MD Party Room
Other than games like Metro 2033 and Drarksiders that I feel look like crap there nothing that I am not blown away with even the arcade games look really good. Are you sure it not just your shit ass monitor that your more disappointed with? GOW3 and uncharted 2 looks way way better than I ever thought possible on my 720p tv.

LocutusEstBorg

I've played the PS3 on four different screens, all monitors at a desk though. Primarily on a Dell 19" WFP Ultrasharp which had high quality scaling compared to any other monitor I've seen. Then my 16:10 AOC 22", another 16:9 AOC 24" and a 32" 1920x1200 Viewsonic. Image quality was the best on the Dell, but the graphics themselves was unacceptably crappy. Low-res textures, no AA, no AF, low poly models; all a bloody eyesore. The AOC monitors had cheap pixellated scaling to add to the mix. The Viewsonic was so massive that it was just a smeared turd on the screen.

Killzone 2 and GoW III were the only games worthy of being called next gen and they looked good on the small Dell monitor. However next gen simply means the gameplay elements were modern. The graphics were just about what I'd have expected from my 5 year old 7800GTX. If you are blown away by a 7800GTX in 2010...well I dunno what to say.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The thing is, most people sit at a distance of at least 3-4 feet from their TV while playing console games. As a result shoddy texture detail and lack of AA is less perceptible than it is close-up on a monitor.

LocutusEstBorg

The thing is, most people sit at a distance of at least 3-4 feet from their TV while playing console games. As a result shoddy texture detail and lack of AA is less perceptible than it is close-up on a monitor.

Now that HD has come to India my dad might finally buy an LCD TV. If he does I'll probably try to squeeze a PS3 in the budget saying we need a BluRay player.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
eh, i thought RE 5, and RDR, as well as ME 2, all 3 are amazing graphically imo, and all 3 i only played on a 360, and each looked quite amazing, in fact, i didn't realize the quality of RE 5 the first time i played through it, it was only until i played it again recently that i realized it was quite amazing graphically, RDR just is amazing imo, but i guess i'm also not picky about my graphics either, i'd rather have an excellent and fun gameplay, then worry that a game is truely outputting in 720p, or has the highest quality models in game play, which is probably why i love games like fallout 3, and oblivion, not the greatest graphics, but the capability to do w/e u want is much funner than worry about the fact that they are breathtaking(although having both is always nice).

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Bah, spoiled the lot of ye's. I remember back in the day playing Goldeneye and counting myself lucky that I was playing at 320x240 and getting about 20fps. This was on a tiny 14inch tv through an RF cable as well so there was extra blurriness. No worrying about textures or AA.