• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

NVIDIA Driver Update Causing Video Cards To Overheat In Games

After a group of StarCraft II beta testers reported technical difficulties following the installation of NVIDIA driver update 196.75, Blizzard tech support found that the update introduced fan control problems that were causing video cards to overheat in 3D applications. "This means every single 3D application (i.e. games) running these drivers is going to be exposed to overheating and in some extreme cases it will cause video card, motherboard and/or processor damage. If said motherboard, processor or graphic card is not under warranty, some gamers are in serious trouble playing intensive games such as Prototype, World of Warcraft, Farcry 3, Crysis and many other games with realistic graphics." NVIDIA said they were investigating the problem, took down links to the new drivers, and advised users to revert to 196.21 until the problem can be fixed.

Source Slashdot Games Story | NVIDIA Driver Update Causing Video Cards To Overheat In Games

Thank god I didnt update.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It's easy to go back to older drivers.

I'm using 195.62. For various reasons, I disabled automatic updating, and until they fix it, I'm not updating.

It doesn't overheat in Linux though. Whichever the latest driver is for it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Also if your card supplier/manufacturer has it's own fan control/gpu overclocking program than I suggest using that. I'm using EVGA Precision to control the fan speed (manual, 70%) and it's been holding up fine.

Hmm speeding up the fan sounds like a good idea, I use RivaTuner and set it to like 70 like frozenipaq suggested.

Thanks but I don't notice anything different? fan noise wise.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Yeah, I use that too, it's OC'd to something that keeps it fairly cool. My 9800 GTX+ maxes fairly low, so I don't usually have to turn the fan up.