• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, any good?

blirt

Could this graphics card last 5 years? Im scared that this graphics card sucks more then the ATI Raedon 5870 series.
Is that true that it sucks? BTW, its 3D

Adiuvo

The GTS 250 will not last for 5 years if you want later games to run on high. The 5870 is leagues better than the 250 as well, and the 5870 is only topped by the GTX 480 and 5970.

Adiuvo

I'd imagine so. Can't really know for sure since nobody knows what future games will employ, but chances are it will.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The GTS250 is somewhat underpowered for today's titles, it will struggle running Crysis at max. The HD5870 is several times more powerful.

elite

Oldie moldie
Well I just bought one from inno3d with a POV 400W power supply. It runs everything at max, save what x3sphere referred to. Crysis at max lags a little bit. It is the best budget GPU ($150).

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It's not the best budget GPU in terms of price/performance. I'd give that honor to the HD4870, which can be had for the same price and competes with a GTX260.

Right now, ATI dominates Nvidia for price/performance in every market segment.

elite

Oldie moldie
Well it depends on where you live Trigun. Here, there is a %10 VAT. The original price is $137. I think there is also other taxes on the shown price, such as shipping.

Yeah, I saw the benchmark yesterday. Around 1000 is the difference, not a big margin.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
oh well that sucks. In oregon we have no tax on buying things (other than a house I think). And the shipping is usually very cheap from Newegg.

elite

Oldie moldie
Well that's what you get if you live in the Middle East. :) What I mostly love now is that the PC has no noise! My old PSU and GPU made sounds similar to washing machines.

LocutusEstBorg

Right now, ATI dominates Nvidia for price/performance in every market segment.

The new GTX 460 is quite superior in price/performance. $199 & almost as fast as a 5850. Hopefully what will happen now is ATi will drop prices back to the 5xxx series launch prices ($259 and $369) or less for the 5850 and 5870 and the 5970 will drop to its original price of $599 or less. The GTX 480 will then be obsolete and the GTX 485 based on the GF104 core has to be released.

Adiuvo

It's weaker than the 5850? I was under the impression it was slightly better and that the cards traded blows on most games.

I'm glad Nvidia has started being more competitive. ATI has had market lead for too long.

LocutusEstBorg

It's weaker than the 5850? I was under the impression it was slightly better and that the cards traded blows on most games.

I'm glad Nvidia has started being more competitive. ATI has had market lead for too long.

'Almost' gave the wrong impression. Its within low single digit percentages of the 5850. Better in some titles, but those are the same titles where the Fermi cards in general have a big lead like Far Cry 2. However when overclocked the 5850 beats the GTX 470 by a sizable margin and slightly surpasses the 5870 as well.

ATi has always fared much better than nVidia despite having slower cards every single generation.