• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Opera 10 Alpha 1

EvilSeph

Administrator
opera_logo3.gif

Opera Software ASA recently released an Alpha version of their next generation browser, Opera 10. Along with a few widely requested features, this new browser sports an updated engine that - though some may find it incredibly difficult to believe - make Opera significantly faster. Where pages used to actually seem like they load, now they just seem to "blink" into existence.

For the specification savvy out there, this new version of Opera is fully capable of passing the Acid3 test (100/100 - I've tested it myself), contains a few new technologies for developers to use and adds a few new features for the normal people out there that just use a browser to surf the web.

Despite this being an Alpha, I have not had any issues with Opera 10 Alpha 1 and judging by their timeline, this browser is just going to get better and better.

For more information, check out this blog post by the Desktop Team, this development article and Opera's "Next" page that can usually be relied upon to detail all the changes in their latest browser in plain English.

Changelog:
  • Presto 2.2 Engine
  • Performance boost
  • 100/100 and pixel-perfect on the Acid3 test
  • Auto-update
  • Inline spelling checker
  • Opera Mail improvements, including rich text composition and delete after X days
  • Widget Improvements on Linux

Full Changelogs:
Windows
Macintosh
Unix

Download:
Windows
Windows (Classic Installer)
Macintosh
Macintosh (Intel Only)
Unix

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
yay! I love opera 10. cant wait for the official release, because by then that 30% will prob be 50%

Seth

MD Party Room
The results of Computerworld's Acid3 browser test
Opera 10-- 100
Webkit -- 100
Firefox 3.1, nightly build (XP) -- 92
Firefox 3.1, Beta 1 (XP) -- 88
Opera 9.6.2 (XP) -- 85
Chrome 0.4.154.31 (XP) -- 79
Safari 3.2.1 (XP/Mac) -- 75
Firefox 3.0.4 (XP) -- 71
Firefox 2.0.018 (XP) -- 52
IE8 Beta 2 (XP) -- 21
IE7 (XP) -- 12

Opera 10 alpha aces Acid3 browser test

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
downloading right now....
edit- wow, finish already....
omg its so much faster!
waay better then firefox so far.
Its slim, nice look to it for the desktop meh like!

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
a few info bits for you:

1. focus on search bar is ctrl e, not ctrl k like ff
2. get adblock for opera here:Fanboy's AdBlock List
3. if you want noscript go into preferences > advanced > content > uncheck javascript, java, and plugins. you can re enable them on a site by site basis by editing site preferences by right clicking on a page. not as good as noscript, but better than nothing

EvilSeph

Administrator
Fullscreen works fine over here.

This should probably be in the Opera 10 Alpha 1 thread if that is the version you are using. Please remember to specify what version of Opera you are using when asking for help with it.

Edit: posts moved.

eighty4

10:15 - Gets Opera
10:25 - Enjoys Opera
10:30 - Finds Disabilities in Opera
10:31 - Goes back to Camino

eighty4

Wouldn't properly download my torrents and open them, then I found otu it wasn't downloading any torrents from any laces that require accounts to use such as what.cd etc.

It would not allow me use my scrollwheel within it nor would it allow me to move the URL bar where I liked it back in Opera 9.

I'll wait till the final release to judge.