• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Opinion needed for game in development

phoenixgs

Hey guys, Me and my friends are finishing a game which will be released on Xbox Live Indie Games next month. It is called T.E.C. 3001 (Tesla Energy Collector) and it is third person, 3D action arcade game. You are guiding a robot through virtual space to collect energy for human kind. It will have 20 levels with many different obstacles. It

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Wow, really surprised by that. It looks really good so far and reminds me somewhat of a Sonic game (which can be a good thing ;) ). Definitely have something here, and looks like it could even be implemented on a mobile platform (swipe gestures on-screen for character movement).

One thing that does irk me a bit is the robot's torso - it doesn't seem to move at all..it's just static (noticeable on slow speeds). Don't know if it is possible or not but it would look a lot better if the torso moved when the feet did. So say the robot's left foot goes forward when running, the left shoulder portion will move forward and right will move backward (or vice-versa). Other than that it looks great so far

phoenixgs

Thx for reply,
We are currently working on that running animation so it should be better. We don't have official artist but we all learn drawing, modeling, animation and programming at the same time :)
The game was first developed for Windows Phone 7 platform and it should be expected on mobile if xbox version goes well. Steering of robot was planned to be with accelerometer on mobile device.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
2nd on the impressive visuals. Nicely done. Not so sure about controlling it with an accelerometer though. There's very few games play great with accelerometer controls if I was honest. Not that it's impossible, just difficult. Good to see efforts like this from indie devs, keep up the good work.

phoenixgs

We tried it once on mobile with accelerometer but it was very hard so when the time comes the levels need to be made simpler.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
pretty awesome, the graphics look really good, other than what frozen pointed out about the robot's movement, their isn't anything graphically that i can say is wrong.

the only thing that i did notice is that some of the gameplay seems like it'd require more of memorizing the level, then of being able to see what's coming(for example at 1:42-1:50 you began doing alot of different moves, but i personally wouldn't have been able to tell when to slide, verse when to jump without having played the level several times.)

january39

eXo Staff
The sense of speed was good but the robot doesn't look like he is keeping up. It seems a bit rigid to me in its motion.

Pretty good from what i have seen.

phoenixgs

Yeah, latter levels require memorizing to get to the end, not the whole level but most of the part. We will see how that goes on test play

phoenixgs

Hi again.

Here is new video showing statistics screen at the end of the level. There is ranking system
based on collected batteries, time and broken objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBnZxlGAdY

If you have a spare time, and you are willing to help us,
and participate in our project, you can suggest to us your idea for 5 rank names.
Here is our list of top 5 starting from the lowest:

1. Noob can
2. Running toster
3. Steam locomotive
4. Mr. speedy
5. Lamborghini robot

Post your ideas here on forum or on youtube. Thx everybody for help.

phoenixgs

Here are the ranks we chose to include in game. Thanks to all who suggested ranks which are included.
We opened twitter account so if you like you can follow us

http://twitter.com/#!/phoenixgamess

I group

1. Noob Can
2. Running Toster
3. Steam Train
4. Mr. Speedy
5. Lamborghini Robot

II group

1. 56 kbit
2. Rusty Antique
3. Hybrid Car
4. Iron Giant
5. supersonic Jet

III group

1. Infinite Lag
2. Slow Bot
3. Paranoid Androbot
4. Acceletron
5. Thunder Bolt

IV group

1. Liquid Metal
2. Subsonic
3. T.E.C.minator
4. Blade Runner
5. Twisted Metal

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

january39

eXo Staff
The animation seems much faster, it now looks like the robot is giving the speed - seems much smoother to me, although i would not use Lamborghini as rank (granted, you have asked for rank selections).

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Very impressive, I might just have to buy it when it comes out on XBLIG. Haven't looked much at the Indie games in a while but you've done a nice job here so it's worth checking out

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
looks great, robot animation is very smooth, still think the some of games speedier levels will be more about memorizing than skill, but nonetheless, looks good=-)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
looks great, robot animation is very smooth, still think the some of games speedier levels will be more about memorizing than skill, but nonetheless, looks good=-)

There's nothing wrong with memorization in a game like this, that's a lot of what speed games are and what makes them fun -> trial and error

phoenixgs

Glad to hear that! Thx
As for memorization yes, harder levels have some but not all parts which need memorization. But we are trying now to figure out playtest reaction to that - is is good or bad