• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

opinions on a new router

Deathrow

I recently had to upgrade my router. Ill tell you a little story, last week, I bought a Netgear router. The hard wiring worked with the ports to get internet, but no device could connect via wifi. Me and my Pops thought, Hmmm what is the issue? Our ISP is Comcast which is only an internet provider. We called Netgear and Tech support, he asked us for our ISP; we said Comcast. His response was:

"I'm sorry, but we no longer support Comcast users due to a recent disagreement between the two companies. You'll have to call Comcast support"

He hung up. The problem was nothing to do with Comcast, our modem worked fine. All in all, shitty tech support from Netgear. We went back to Fry's Electronics and bought ourselves another Cisco Linksys router. Everything is working better and supports N.

I think it goes A,B,G,N and all routers are backwards compatible. The latest is N and supports high frequencies.

I suggest in your case is D-Link, Netgear, or Linksys. Ive used all in the past with no issue (except this one slip up with Netgear LOL). The main problem is that they all die out roughly near their one year warranty, or so that what happens to us lol.

Also be sure to know what the range is on the router you are buying. Some cannot support 300,000 square feet so if you live a two story house with a lot walls, I suggest something with long range.

Hope this story/advice helps :)

eh so I Google about this router and man a lot of people have problems with this...$150 is a bit too much for trouble

$150 for a router seems like way too much. I just recently got the Netgear WNDR3300 Rangemax Dual band Wireless -N router and I'm loving it. It lets you set up two different access points(one for N and the other for G), has around a 1600 ft range, supports ddwrt firmware, and Im gettting 270mbs on my wireless N laptop. I bought it for $35 plus shipping from newegg recertified.

Newegg.com - Recertified: NETGEAR WNDR3300-100NAR IEEE 802.11a/b/g ...

wow that's not bad deal, what version of DD-WRT you using? you just use Special WNDR3300 image for initial flashing?

I'm a DD-WRT Fan on my WRT54G but its time for a upgrade!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
WNDR3300 is great, I have one as well. The default firmware is terrible though - very prone to connection dropouts in my experience. So if you get it save yourself the headache and install DD-WRT right away. It is as easy as just loading the custom firmware image on the router upgrade page, no need to telnet in or anything.

Thanks.

is the ports just regular 100MB? I be using all 4 Ports with CAT5 & gigabyte ethernet ports...

Edit: I might get 1 or 2 more for this big house.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I recently had to upgrade my router. Ill tell you a little story, last week, I bought a Netgear router. The hard wiring worked with the ports to get internet, but no device could connect via wifi. Me and my Pops thought, Hmmm what is the issue? Our ISP is Comcast which is only an internet provider. We called Netgear and Tech support, he asked us for our ISP; we said Comcast. His response was:

"I'm sorry, but we no longer support Comcast users due to a recent disagreement between the two companies. You'll have to call Comcast support"

He hung up. The problem was nothing to do with Comcast, our modem worked fine. All in all, shitty tech support from Netgear. We went back to Fry's Electronics and bought ourselves another Cisco Linksys router. Everything is working better and supports N.

I think it goes A,B,G,N and all routers are backwards compatible. The latest is N and supports high frequencies.

I suggest in your case is D-Link, Netgear, or Linksys. Ive used all in the past with no issue (except this one slip up with Netgear LOL). The main problem is that they all die out roughly near their one year warranty, or so that what happens to us lol.

Also be sure to know what the range is on the router you are buying. [HIGHLIGHT]Some cannot support 300,000 square feet so if you live a two story house with a lot walls, I suggest something with long range.[/HIGHLIGHT]

Hope this story/advice helps :)

Do you know how big 300,000 square feet is? That's so big it doesn't exist.

Just to give you an idea, this house is 31,000 square feet and on the market for 50 million dollars.

What about this... D-Link DIR-655
Newegg.com - D-Link DIR-655 IEEE 802.33u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Xtreme N Gigabit Wireless Router - Wireless Routers

or just tell me to stfu and go with WNDR3300... DD-WRT firmware should play well with my WRT54G DD-WRT right? (WDS)

Do you know how big 300,000 square feet is? That's so big it doesn't exist.

Just to give you an idea, this house is 31,000 square feet and on the market for 50 million dollars.

well i do own 10 Acres of flat land here but its not like I going surf the web and go fishing. or can i? LOL

Bill

Why buy N when it's completely useless? Unless you live in Japan, you'll never cap out G.

And if you need to go 300,000 feet away..... a whimpy home router with stock antenna won't do. Build a repeater bridge midway?

Why buy N when it's completely useless? Unless you live in Japan, you'll never cap out G.

Actually I want more speed on Local Network, not my internet. so I can game COD4 PC every night upstairs and not glitch every 5 mins or so. I want the ability to watch movies that's store on my other computer instead of copy and paste everytime.

I also want to system link wireless my 2 xbox 360. can WNDR3300 and WRT54G can do this on G mode?

And if you need to go 300,000 feet away..... a whimpy home router with stock antenna won't do. Build a repeater bridge midway?

I don't really care for distance as long as it covers all rooms in my house and outside garage which is over 200 feet and my WRT54G can only do that with 1 bar or no bars.

I just want a good router thats all!

I going to put this on hold and decided to purchase on something else.

until then I stick with my WRT54G until it probably dies. friend of mine give a 24 port ethernet switch. I might as well just wire my whole house with this.