• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Original xbox hack?

Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar
ok, Ive made-up my mind, a friend of mine is going to give me his original xbox for my birthday (2/19, so, no rush) but I searched the web and nothing came up so I figured I would ask the pros (you):
Is there an easy way to hack the originals?
Easy as in, hopefully, NOT taking it apart, idk, I guess I figure its been plenty of time since its release & was hoping they would have found a way to firmware hack it from, maybe, downloading a program off the internet, burning it to disc and running it in the console to have it.... ...I guess, pretty much, hack itself or, Im not sure if the originals have USB ports or not, but a program to run from a USB pen-drive or maybe even connecting an ethernet cable and doing the hack from the computer through that?
I know some/all of this may sound stupid but I am not tech-savvy, I hacked my PSP/iTouch myself cause I had step-by-step instructions, 1st off, and it didnt require me to take them apart, 2ndly, if its this easy, by now, for the originals, then I dont have to seem like such an ignorant-noob to my friend, AGAIN, that being the same friend who hacked mine & my dad's 360s!
Thank you for any & all help anyone can give me, ahead of time, its very much appreciated, even if I turn out to be that ignorant-noob, again.

Seth

MD Party Room
If you can get a originally copy of 007 Agent Under Fire, Meccahsult, or Splintercell we can help you with the rest

Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar
That's what I was afraid of but if that's the only way then so be it, I'll manage to get one of those, I may even ask my friend if he has one & I'll just give it back afterwards, considering I don't want it for the XBox games I want it for NES, SNES, Sega Genesis & maybe even Sega CD games!
....And, maybe even some homebrew games, if you can suggest any that are actually worth it, thank you, I'll let you know when I'm ready to "break it in" as to say.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

That's what I was afraid of but if that's the only way then so be it, I'll manage to get one of those, I may even ask my friend if he has one & I'll just give it back afterwards, considering I don't want it for the XBox games I want it for NES, SNES, Sega Genesis & maybe even Sega CD games!
....And, maybe even some homebrew games, if you can suggest any that are actually worth it, thank you, I'll let you know when I'm ready to "break it in" as to say.

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

Sorry about the double post, my Internet is on the fritz, idk what's going on

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I didnt even know hacking was in back in those days

are you serious?

The OG Xbox is incredibly easy to softmod as long as you have one of a few compatible games and a USB drive with a USB drive-Xbox memory card connector and Action replay software for PC(If you can find AR for Xbox with the memory unit, that's even easier)

Just google "Xbox Softmoding"
There are tons of guides out there.
After you do it, you can even go so far as to burn a DVD with one of the AID discs to install emulators/applications or even change your softmod configuration.

Otherwise you have to FTP things on to your HDD after you download off of the Xbins IRC channel (Which is a pain IMO lol)

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
are you serious?

The OG Xbox is incredibly easy to softmod as long as you have one of a few compatible games and a USB drive with a USB drive-Xbox memory card connector and Action replay software for PC(If you can find AR for Xbox with the memory unit, that's even easier)

Just google "Xbox Softmoding"
There are tons of guides out there.
After you do it, you can even go so far as to burn a DVD with one of the AID discs to install emulators/applications or even change your softmod configuration.

Otherwise you have to FTP things on to your HDD after you download off of the Xbins IRC channel (Which is a pain IMO lol)

In my defense when XBox first came out I had long discovered pot and Vicodin... so hacking wasnt really on my mind.

Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar
I have the XBox but I have a few problems- 1st: the original Splinter Cell freezes when I try to skip the intro & go straight to the main menu screen, if I go through the intro it just freezes while trying to load the main menu, I say it's on account of the scratches, I bought it in a pawn shop, go figure. 2nd: I don't have a memory unit or pro action replay kit & every GameStop I called says they have nothing to do w/ the originals anymore & non of the pawn shops have the memory units or PAR kits. I have a firmware hacked (iXtreme) 360 but I doubt that would do any good. Seeing as to how Splinter Cell isn't working, I'll wait till Monday & run back to the pawn shop to see if I can't get 1 of the other 2 or a WORKING Splinter Cell. The MFG date on the XBox is 6-6-2002, could just do some soldering to the motherboard if I can't get the things needed? Sorry to make this hard for you all.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Did you copy the Hacked Splinter Cell Saves(Which is the Softmod installer)
to your Xbox Hard drive?

Just wondering.

Also, Look on places like Ebay for an action replay that comes with a USB adapter for the memory card slot.
I got mine when I bought a USB keyboard for my PS2 to use with RPGMaker 2 back in the day (It was by datel, and it had an adapter for Xbox)

Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar
Idk how I would be able to copy the hacked SC saves to the hard drive when I can't get them off my USB pen drive to the hard drive, I wish these dated consoles had a USB port but no, I have nothing on it, when he gave it to me the first thing I did was delete everything off it (Game save data & music) $ set it up my way, which really wasn't much for customizations, I'm realizing how different they are from the 360s now.
Looks like I'm going to eBay next, ty all for ur help but for now I need more parts, later

spbfatherof3

hello?

Okay so it looks as if this thread has been dead for a while but I thought I'd give it a try anyways. Been trying to softmod my xbox for a while unsuccessfully. I've got the original splinter cell and I've successfully tricked Action Replay into thinking my usb drive is an xbox memory card. I've also been able to try several different exploits all having the same results. It freezes when I try to load the linux installer. Every time I've deleted all the other files from the hard drive so it's the only one. I was successful in logging into xbins but my ftp couldn't download any of the listed files. My kernel is 5101 and my dash is 5960. Anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? BIG THANKS TO THOSE WHO ATTEMPT TO HELP ME OUT!!!!!:biggrin:

Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar
Could I attach the xbox hard drive to my laptop (theres this cable I found onlin that I can order which attaches a SATA port to a computer through a USB) and manually rewrite the firmware/OS/Dashboard/(whatever you want to call it) Its only like 19 & some change, 20, tops, bucks (I'm sure there will be S&H) but do you think this may work?

http://www.geeks.com/largePic_All.asp?InvtId=2020&Pic=2020-unit.jpg

If so, can you direct me to some instructions about what to do after its connected & is it true that in order to attach the hard drive to my computer, the xbox has to be running a game at the time of disconnecting the hard drive otherwise when its connected it will do some sort of a "lock" where it automatically lock itself so you can't do anything with it afterwards? I don't know, I read that somewhere.

explosions

You can use a desktop with an IDE controller to do a hotswap softmod. The success of the USB/IDE bridge would rely upon whether or not the boot CD you used had drivers for it. But any slightly out of date desktop has an IDE controller that will almost definitely work. I've used Kingroach's installer before with no problems.

You have to be booted up to the dashboard for a v1.0-1.4 xbox to be unlocked. For v1.5-1.6 there's a simple audio CD trick used to unlock them.

Xeno Templar

Xeno Templar
What might that trick be? Cause you see, I've already taken it apart & removed the hard drive but that's all I took out of it, I was going to order that piece I put the link to above & then reconnect the HD and, based off what I read a few months ago, run a game, any game (put it into actual play mode, not just go to the main menu, say, for example, Halo, start the game & have it going as in: if I push a button, Master Chief will do the corresponding action, just for example, that's what I read but, again, this was quite some time ago) then while the game is in play, remove the HD, thus puting it into an unlocked state even after connecting it to my computer, the problem is: I am running a laptop, my parents both have a newer model tower (actually, my mother has one of those newer HP Touchsmart, I want it, my dad has an eMachine, I don't know & don't care) now, with that done & said, what would I do to do this audio CD trick & would it stay in the unlocked state for a long period of time, just long enough for me to start my new job & order this piece? Oh, and lastly, how would I find out what version mine is?

explosions

Here's a guide to help determine what revision you have: here

And a (very complete) guide to using the installer: here
(If there's a problem linking to X-S, someone let me know.)

The only problem I could see happening is that XboxHDM is too old to support a USB-IDE bridge. But it may work.