• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

OSX86, Thinking of giving it another go.

Serideth

Never had a decent OSX installation working but I'm assuming by now it's a lot more stable. I don't have any complaints with Windows 7 but I want to try something different. The thing is I can't really see any pros with using OSX on a PC over W7 besides a nicer interface.

So what's the general opinion these days on it?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Never had a decent OSX installation working but I'm assuming by now it's a lot more stable. I don't have any complaints with Windows 7 but I want to try something different. The thing is I can't really see any pros with using OSX on a PC over W7 besides a nicer interface.

So what's the general opinion these days on it?

I was running it on my MSI Wind clone (Advent 4211C, UK version) for a while but just switched back to Windows 7 for it. It wasn't that there was anything majorly lacking, maybe just games. Emulators and whatnot tended to perform a tiny bit worse on Mac OS X compared to Windows 7. Even if it was the same emulators like snes9x. The smaller screen put me off too as well though on my netbook since it cut off apps like Photobooth. If I had a compatible system for Mac OS X, I may consider installing it again to try it out but I think my audio chipset doesn't have any drivers (kexts) available for it.

You may as well try it out again, you've nothing to lose if you back everything up.

Serideth

Thanks for the post, one thing though, what did you mean by a "smaller screen"? I'm also thinking of installing a linux distro as an alternative to play around on.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Thanks for the post, one thing though, what did you mean by a "smaller screen"? I'm also thinking of installing a linux distro as an alternative to play around on.

Well, my netbook only has a resolution of 1024x600. The proper mac that my gf's family owns has a 1680x1050 screen which works pretty well.

Another annoyance with Mac OS X is the way that hitting Enter/Return when a file is selected will prompt you to rename the file, not open it in a default program. That's one major issue I have with it. Nothing else I can think of atm.

Serideth

Ah, yeah that could get annoying, but it's bearable. I can see resolution being an issue with my monitor as it's a bit finiky.

I might just try it anyway and if I like it get a mac book.

Well, my netbook only has a resolution of 1024x600. The proper mac that my gf's family owns has a 1680x1050 screen which works pretty well.

Another annoyance with Mac OS X is the way that hitting Enter/Return when a file is selected will prompt you to rename the file, not open it in a default program. That's one major issue I have with it. Nothing else I can think of atm.

I keep doing the reverse in Windows :argh:

Also OS X overwrites folders where Windows merges them. Apart from that, there really isn't that much of a striking change between the OSs.

I say go for it. You can always go back anyway, and now's the best time to do it.