• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Other OS Discussion

mohaas05

This is a thread to discuss some of the more obscure OSes (BeOS, Plan 9, Rhapsody, Amiga, DOS, etc.) like troubleshooting, applications, emulating, virtualization since there isn't really a place for it anyways.

Noriyuke

Uhm, im really out there when it comes to these OS's would you mind throwing around some links to some of these? I'm rather lazy when it comes to googling.

Like i didnt know Rhapsody has an OS. what the fuck for? music?

Oh wait, i just wikied it. I feel stupid. I definitely used that OS in school in Miami, when i was like 5th grade all the way through 7th.
it was neat at the time.

Colm

Rhapsody is a Mac OS afaik, and has nothing to do with anything else by that name.

Seth

MD Party Room
Mr. Beefy said:
Does anyone use Open Solaris?
cant afford the dam hardware to support it..I cant really find a benefit of learning it unless I work for a company who wished to waste money on buying hardware from sun..Tho I have downloaded Nexenta OS witch I found kinda nice... but have no real use as a desktop OS for me.

THo the only non usix based os I ever might use is ReactOS...

Seth

MD Party Room
I also feel this thread isent really need since most people who run these OSes know what there doing..

mohaas05

I have Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris LiveCD. They don't support my gfx card by default and when I try to install it in Virtualbox an error pops up telling me that the virtual machine ran out of memory, even though i gave it 512MB.

Rhapsody is Mac OS...and it isn't. It's based off of NEXTStep and is basically the precursor to Mac OS X. I've gotten it to run fine in VirtualBox.

I also keep Mac OS 9 in SheepShaver, mostly for nostalgia:)

Most people running these OSes natively probably do know what they're doing, but it could be helpful for a new user trying to set up say an emulated environment such as Basilisk for Mac OS classic.