• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Other OS supported in PS3 Slim Geohot

DarkGamer

PRo GaMeR
Posted by geohotz

Here is a video demoing my "custom firmware". It's not any sort of version string change; I would have added something showing off the new features of 3.21, but oh wait, there aren't any.

This can be installed without having to open up your PS3, just by restoring a custom generated PUP file, but only from 3.15 or previous. It's possible this CFW will also work on the slim to actually *enable* OtherOS; I'll know when my infectus gets here.

No release date yet, use the proxy hack to play online with 3.15

Note to the people who removed OtherOS, you are potentially turning 100000+ legit users into "hackers." There was a huge(20x) traffic spike to this blog after the announcement of 3.21. If I had ads on this site I guess I'd be thanking you.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
hmmm... I guess I'll wait for now... I'm curious about what he trying to do..

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I updated last night, but I don't use Other OS at all. Would have been good to try out whatever he did though.

TeamOverload

whats this mean for the guys on 3.21? they will or wont be able to get this suported.

I suppose its good news :D

The guys on 3.21 will at least for now be stuck on 3.21. That's what a blog post was published by him before saying don't update as he will have a custom firmware with OtherOS support coming as well as PSN support.

Frozty

its like he bought a ps3 from sony with a button thats says "Press this to hack this fast as $*%@".

Adiuvo

I'm wondering how he did this personally. I thought updates were uneditable since it broke the encryption, like the PSP?

rileysnotz

Damn he's quick. How the hell he did it we'll not know anytime soon. Bet Sony's banging their heads on the walls. :p

Crank

Crank it up!
I wonder if this has anything to do with the supposedly leaked signing keys... Who knows :p

I wonder if this has anything to do with the supposedly leaked signing keys... Who knows :p

If he has the encryption keys, well, the system would be practically fully compromised. He would be able sign executables, and run them as legitimate ones.

Bran

Yell
Shit will explode if the PS3 starts getting custom firmwares. And if that guy's got encryption keys... fuck!

Spiros

Maiki
Does anyone have any guesses to how he`s able to update without opening the ps3, did he find another software exploit? and anyone know what a PUP file is?
nevermind, quick google search says it's the PS3 update's file format(duh) but also an executable format for Puppy linux.