• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Outrageous Religious Beliefs

explosions

This is why I've realized that trying to enlighten people is like throwing pearls before swines.

I just saw queer and I left.

FreePlay

homosexuals?
...... No ... it's the old meaning of queer. strange, bizarre, weird, etc.

Something else:

Our consciousness only exists at this "grander" level. We're made up of billions (if not trillions) of cells, each completely unaware of "us" and almost certainly unaware of each other beyond the intermittent interactions they have with each other. Even our individual neurons are not conscious, and their 'concern' is only that they are able to survive within their environment (i.e. the larger ecosystem of cells that comprise our bodies). "We" exist only as the result of individual cells doing what they do for their own purposes, but in large enough numbers that something else entirely arises out of it. Our minds are exactly the same thing as slime molds, which form complex structures and perform complicated functions even though they're nothing more than colonies of monocellular organisms that have no idea what surrounds them.

FreePlay

the pinkie's good. alcohol, again, helps.

as for editing for a living: I do :) I keep submarines from sinking and/or exploding. it's demanding work, but it's not that hard (for me) and I enjoy it.

2zxqamx.gif

Joey

The alcohol helps? Let's not kid our selves... You run on alcohol. You're like Bender, except you dispense knowledge and wisdom, rather than snarky insults.

hollygrove17

I realize we already have a "God Talk" thread, but I thought we could get into some heated debates in here (while trying to be as little offensive as you can).
I came across this site earlier and thought that you guys would like to have a laugh at all the completely ridiculous things that people say about other religions. Granted, some of the quotes on this site are taken out of context, but the majority show how conceded some people can be.

I'm not trying to stir up a heated debate over religions, but the people that give the religion a bad name.
For instance, I don't mind Christian people, but when I see that Daniel Joseph Min said the fallowing statement, it kinda makes me wanna burn his house down.

Your thoughts?

~

[HIGHLIGHT]Slasher Edit -[/HIGHLIGHT]

Well, first off, to each his own. But as I've grown up, I've come to an understanding that the more 'religious' someone is, the less human they are. If believing in "god" means discriminating against race, sexuality, etc. then i want nothing to do with it.
Furthermore, christians should really re-read their editted bible. I believe it says god is mericful. But the members of his cult arent.
Just because "Atheists hate god" (Although the words 'hate' and 'belief' have very different definitons?) DOES NOT mean they hate their family. Or country? and what does death have to do with your so called god?
anyways, I respect your beliefs. Like i said, to each his own. Just watch what you say.

Adiuvo

I don't see many Christians who are as radical as you make them seem. They do exist, but so do people in every group, including atheists.

Adiuvo

Depends on if you include radical anti-theists to be atheists. If that's the case, there are numerous examples you can find from Google or viewing any religious debate forum.

http://chicago.gopride.com/news/article.cfm/articleid/3187600

Find me a single Atheist who's as nutty as the protesters in this story.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1905974/posts

Saying that believing in a moderate form of any religion takes the same amount of effort as convincing yourself to become a suicide bomber is pretty nutty.

Joey

Depends on if you include radical anti-theists to be atheists. If that's the case, there are numerous examples you can find from Google or viewing any religious debate forum.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1905974/posts

Saying that believing in a moderate form of any religion takes the same amount of effort as convincing yourself to become a suicide bomber is pretty nutty.

It's kind of nutty, but it's not disgraceful to a soldier who sacrificed his life for your rights. It's not derogatory toward any particular minority.

First, let me say, that I find militant atheism to be as equally misguided as any religious sect. Personally, I think perpetuating beliefs (as in non-proven facts) of any kind is immoral, and quite frankly illegal, if the Constitution is interpreted by anybody with a half functioning brain. Let me also add, that while I'm not an Atheist, I'm much more sympathetic to their ideals, since we both have central issues with dogma. I don't agree that existing science is void of room for a god to exist, but I do agree that current religions are both completely wrong, and absolutely dangerous to society as a whole.

Now, you point out one Atheist expressing his beliefs. The difference, there is no doctrine that dictate that he act upon those beliefs in a violent fashion. This doctrine exists in the Christian, Catholic, and Muslim religions. Atheism is also not a religion, thus acting upon your beliefs is inherently more difficult, since you don't have the blind devotion, and support of millions of people who cling to their beliefs like it's a precious resource.

The other difference comes to legislation. Often times, Christian legislation leads to adding religious tenets into society and even laws. Non-believers, on the other hand, try to remove it from said aspects of life. Not the world as a whole, but from the common areas of life we all have to share. I would never begrudge any religious faction from having the right to practice privately, as long as the pay taxes on the land they posses, and they follow the laws we all have to follow (as it stands, they don't).

Now, if you only attribute radicalism to violence, then sure, Christians have been far less "radical" since about 1965. But their insistance on injecting their beliefs into every aspect of our lives is easily as agregious an offence as simply killing someone who disagrees with them.

I can provide you with a few examples, but for the sake of brevity, let's start small... With say, John Shimkus, a high ranking House member (IE, a person who makes pretty big dicision for this country), denies the existance of Climate change, citing the Bible as basis for his reasoning.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/13/john-shimkus-climate-change_n_782664.html

Mr. Shimkus said:
First, he noted God's post-Flood promise to Noah in Genesis 8:21-22.

"Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though all inclinations of his heart are evil from childhood and never again will I destroy all living creatures as I have done.

"As long as the earth endures, seed time and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, will never cease."

"I believe that's the infallible word of God, and that's the way it's going to be for his creation," Shimkus said.

Then he quoted Matthew 24:31.

"And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds from one end of the heavens to the other."

"The Earth will end only when God declares it's time to be over. Man will not destroy this Earth. This Earth will not be destroyed by a Flood," Shimkus asserted. "I do believe that God's word is infallible, unchanging, perfect."

This is a man who is making major decision about the future of our country, and the world, and he's being guided by the Bible. Did he Behead anybody? No. But when my testicles are boiling in the pacific ocean as I sit on my beach front property in Las Vegas, NV, I'll be thinking less about the cave dwelling imbeciles plotting America's doom, and more about the Bible thumping imbeciles who are destroying our planet from a place of power.

Sorry for any typos, grammatical errors, and incomplete thoughts, It's early, and I don't really care.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i personally believe, that were beginning to enter an era where religion well no longer have a place, in the past without many explanations, it was easier to go on blind faith that there was someone/something causing everything, but today, even if we don't understand something, we know their is some process that causes it, no longer is it always attributed to sometype of god, but to some type of scientific and explanable process, at least, i hope most people can accept that not understanding something doesn't make it magical, although, that is, this is only the beginning, it's still going to be several century's before i believe religion would ever disappear, not to say i don't accept the belief's of other's, but personally i can't understand how people can put faith in an being which has the power to stop all suffering in the world, but instead, causes the suffering in many cases.

ilyace

i personally believe, that were beginning to enter an era where religion well no longer have a place, in the past without many explanations, it was easier to go on blind faith that there was someone/something causing everything, but today, even if we don't understand something, we know their is some process that causes it, no longer is it always attributed to sometype of god, but to some type of scientific and explanable process, at least, i hope most people can accept that not understanding something doesn't make it magical, although, that is, this is only the beginning, it's still going to be several century's before i believe religion would ever disappear, not to say i don't accept the belief's of other's, but personally i can't understand how people can put faith in an being which has the power to stop all suffering in the world, but instead, causes the suffering in many cases.

You're pretty blind to believe any of that.

ilyace

what am i blind to believe, that humanity is beginning to accept things arn't just magically done?

Yeah exactly that actually. Humanity is a pretty broad term, and you've got a good part of the human population that literally do believe that things just happen magically. I totally understand what you're saying, but you're really overestimating people's ability to open up to something that isn't in their constricted set of beliefs.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Yeah exactly that actually. Humanity is a pretty broad term, and you've got a good part of the human population that literally do believe that things just happen magically. I totally understand what you're saying, but you're really overestimating people's ability to open up to something that isn't in their constricted set of beliefs.

perhaps the reason i overestimate is because the people i surround myself with are people whom don't just believe things magically happen, you are right, which is unfortunate, but my hope is that in the coming decades, as technology, and access to information becomes more prominent, that things well change, like i said though, i don't expect it to happen overnight, but over the next several century's.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I don't think you're wrong, but I hope you're not expecting to see this happen in any tangible way in your life time.

nah, the most i expect to see is many more debates like these across the internet, or even in other forms of media, i don't expect anything like the future i envision well ever be achieved within my lifetime(assuming technology doesn't extend our life's for a few century's, even then, that may still fall short of the timeframe i expect for anything to truly come about), but i do believe we are living in the very early beginning of such an era

madsoul

Religion will sadly never die out. Since it is basic instinct for us wanting to know why we are here. And there will allways be stuborn idiots and traditions to block human progress.

And people have rebelled against religion many times before. Maybe not with our knowledge etc, and not strictly traditional atheistic believes. Didnt the founders of America hate the church and how religion controlled people? And later America became one of the most religious countries heh.

So yeah, I doubt anything amazing will happen in my lifetime atleast. But atleadt more people will stop believing in crap.

Scorned

Religion will sadly never die out. Since it is basic instinct for us wanting to know why we are here. And there will allways be stuborn idiots and traditions to block human progress.

I find this a bit hypocritical.

And people have rebelled against religion many times before. Maybe not with our knowledge etc, and not strictly traditional atheistic believes. Didnt the founders of America hate the church and how religion controlled people? And later America became one of the most religious countries heh. .

No. America has always been "religiously charged", they just never wanted to label themselves religious because they were advertising a free country (and some of the founders, such as Ben Franklin, weren't very religious). It all has to do with appearances.