• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Overclocking GPU

dennis96411

I successfully overclocked my GPU [NVIDIA GeForce 310M] from 625 Mhz to 651 Mhz with EVGA Precision, and am concerned... Do I need more cooling for it to run good? The temperature seemed to stay the same, 60* C when not playing games. What is the safest way to overclock? Do I need to get a laptop fan? Help me out :p Trying to play games faster.

Default:
Clock: 625 Mhz
Memory: 790 Mhz
Shader: 1530 Mhz

Current:
Clock: 651 Mhz
Memory: 790 Mhz
Shader: 1594 Mhz

Should I increase more? Can I increase the memory Mhz? Should I get a laptop fan? Please help :p

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Have your clock speed increases made any measurable performance impact? Overclocking a laptop GPU, and a rather low end one at that, seems counter productive to me. You're eating up precious battery life for only marginal gains, not to mention risking stability.

Having said that, at 60 C you should still have room to push it further on stock cooling. I wouldn't go beyond 70 C, though. The EVGA tool should be safe, it's basically the standard for Nvidia overclocking.

dennis96411

So should I get like a fan for it? Is it safe to just clock it higher and higher? I know that when it's over the limit it freezes up the system, I think that's NVIDIA's way of protecting the GPU. Is it safe to use EVGA Precision? LOL I'm a noob at overclocking, so I need a lot of safety tips :p Oh, can I increase the memory clock too? Which clock speed determines the most performance?

So, what I do is, clock it higher and higher until it freezes up?

Update! Now it runs at:
Core: 709 Mhz
Memory: 810 Mhz
Shader: 1735 Mhz

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So should I get like a fan for it? Is it safe to just clock it higher and higher? I know that when it's over the limit it freezes up the system, I think that's NVIDIA's way of protecting the GPU. Is it safe to use EVGA Precision? LOL I'm a noob at overclocking, so I need a lot of safety tips :p Oh, can I increase the memory clock too? Which clock speed determines the most performance?

So, what I do is, clock it higher and higher until it freezes up?

Update! Now it runs at:
Core: 709 Mhz
Shader: 1735 Mhz

The tool itself is safe, EVGA is an official Nvidia AIB partner. That's not to say you can't wreck your card with it, even with protections in place. Have to play it safe with the settings. Increase Core and Memory in 5 MHz increments and check for stability each time, preferably with a demanding game or stress test like Furmark. If you notice any graphical corruption or artifacts then that is a warning sign to back down on your overclock.

Both settings will increase performance - I wouldn't say one will do more for you than the other. Chances are, you'll be able to get more mileage out of the Clock clock than Memory.

dennis96411

The tool itself is safe, EVGA is an official Nvidia AIB partner. That's not to say you can't wreck your card with it, even with protections in place. Have to play it safe with the settings. Increase Core and Memory in 5 MHz increments and check for stability each time, preferably with a demanding game or stress test like Furmark. If you notice any graphical corruption or artifacts then that is a warning sign to back down on your overclock.

Both settings will increase performance - I wouldn't say one will do more for you than the other. Chances are, you'll be able to get more mileage out of the Clock clock than Memory.

It's stabilized at:
Core: 675 Mhz
Shader: 1649 Mhz

Last time [see last post] when I ran a game it froze the whole system. So I'm thinking to stay at this. Do I need to know any more precautionary?

Darkchild

The Doctor
if you start seeing random black artifacts, lower the frequency.
if you start seeing stretched objects, its too hot.

just sayin'

and yes, get a cooling pad for your laptop! <--- I cannot emphasize more on this

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
As a rule of thumb I would back down on clocks by 5 MHz once you are stable - just to be 100 % sure as some games will stress the hardware more than others.

SiNiST3R

I picked up a laptop with the same specs. I spent a day adjusting the speed to get the max out of the 310m. Here are the MAX stable speeds, the spike temps around 70 degreese while gaming & keep at stock temps at all other times. Going faster (while it will run) will actually slow it down even though the speed is higher. Kinda like overloading the cards ability or a type of "bottlenecking"

Max Speeds
Clock speed 700
Memory speed 924
Shader speed 1652

Thes will max it out and shouldn't crash the driver or cause any abnormal behaviour.