• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC freezes and lags on graphics manipulation

elite

Oldie moldie
I hope this won't be a long story. Anyways,

I bought this PC in late 2008. Current specs :

• Motherboard: Intel DG41RQ
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2664 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logical Processors
  • System type: 32 bit
  • Physical memory (RAM): 4 gigabyte
  • VGA: Nvidia Gforce 8500 GT
  • HDD: 320 gigabyte
  • Additional cards installed: USrobotics wireless adapter, Sound Blaster 5.1
  • PSU: 300 Watt.

I bought this computer with Windows XP. It was great when first purchased. Launched it regularly, installed a game (Heroes of Might & Magic 5), and played it with no lagging nor freezing. The next day, I installed MOH: Airborne. It freezed on start. Restarted computer, then launched the game. It didn't freeze. After that, we installed Generals: Zero Hour. It freezes much on that game. So we called the shop keeper, and told him what is going on. He replaced our VGA, which was 512 Mbyte, to the current one (see spec). He then told us that there might be a problem with the RAM, but Generals ran fine after we installed the new VGA. Once he went on his way, it started freezing* again wtf.

Freezing*: Either I can get to the desktop to terminate the game, or I have to puch the reset button or hold the power button to fully restart/shutoff the computer. Sound lags when it freezes - The same sound gets repeated. Sometimes, it shows a blue screen and that physical dump process.

We then lived with it. We some how accommodated this circumstance. For example, if I want to start a game with minimal chance of freezing, I have to restart the computer and launch the game afterwards. Videos freeze sometimes or lag (screen starts to fade out and in quickly). It became a usual habit to restart the computer to play the game. We thought it was a problem with the PSU. It was 250 Watt. We then replaced it by a 300 Watt one, but nothing changed. We calculated power usage so we could know that the PSU isn't the problem here.

After several months. The computer started freezing vigorously even after a restart (80%). It is so tentative. I then tried to format the computer and installed Windows XP SP3. It did decrease the chance of freezing/lag, but it didn't disappear. After a month or two, I tried to install Vista. A blue screen appeared stating that my motherboard isn't ACPI complaint. That made me think that the motherboard is the one that is developing all this dilemma. Searching through Google, I found out that a BIOS update might remove that ACPI complaint error. After executing the update, computer restarts, install the update (Update Successful), restarts afterwards, then boom. No screen. Just blackness.

Of course I bought the new motherboard (see specs), and everything ran fine. Win7 was released, so I head out to install it. After installing it, I tried out a game/video. Unfortunately, still freezing. But this time, it takes me out to desktop and gives me an error "Nvidia kernel mode driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered", or gives me a blue screen with physical dump, or just perma-freezes (minimal chance though). This OS is awesome, but it doesn't fully remove the perma-freeze. If the computer perma-freezes, only way to recovery is by resetting, or fully shutting down via holding power button.

After 1 year of this Mayhem, I am sick of it. Which PC component is protruding all this? It might be the CPU or RAM, but is there any testing tool? I am afraid to go out, buy a new CPU or RAM, replace it, and the problem still perpetuates.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
wtf man... I'd go the GPU or the HDD =\

MenaceInc

Staff Member
This is the big clue
"Nvidia kernel mode driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Have you updated your graphics drivers from the nvidia site?
Also, it could be issues with the graphics card itself.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This is the big clue

Also, it could be issues with the graphics card itself.

I've looked at that also... But it seems too obvious...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
What makes you think it's the HDD?

Corrupted sectors screwing up... Happened to me in the past. It'd also mess with my GPU drivers... I changed the HDD and I never had any issues ever again (while I had that desktop, obviously)

elite

Oldie moldie
At first, the Nvidia driver was installed within Win7 installation. WHQL certified. Then updated to 194. something and it didn't influence anything. I don't have the latest driver, but I don't think that would change anything. :S I stated also that I even changed the GPU, but my efforts were in vain.

I searched for this error too in Google. It lead me to threads where people saying something about watchdog and toggling in registry. However, I am mostly certain that this is a hardware problem. Also, posters there said to them to update to the latest driver, but it didn't turn out well.

Corrupted sectors screwing up... Happened to me in the past. It'd also mess with my GPU drivers... I changed the HDD and I never had any issues ever again (while I had that desktop, obviously)
I forgot to mention that the shop owner also tried to fix the HDD sectors. It didn't detect any bad sectors though. I tried updating my PC to 64-bit since my CPU is capable of that, but nothing changed.

Btw, I have two sticks of RAM 2Gb. So that makes it 4 Gbyte.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
At first, the Nvidia driver was installed within Win7 installation. WHQL certified. Then updated to 194. something and it didn't influence anything. I don't have the latest driver, but I don't think that would change anything. :S I stated also that I even changed the GPU, but my efforts were in vain.

I searched for this error too in Google. It lead me to threads where people saying something about watchdog and toggling in registry. However, I am mostly certain that this is a hardware problem. Also, posters there said to them to update to the latest driver, but it didn't turn out well.

I forgot to mention that the shop owner also tried to fix the HDD sectors. It didn't detect any bad sectors though. I tried updating my PC to 64-bit since my CPU is capable of that, but nothing changed.

Btw, I have two sticks of RAM 2Gb. So that makes it 4 Gbyte.

The latest drivers are 195.62. Just try updating to it from their site (NVIDIA DRIVERS 195.62 WHQL).

elite

Oldie moldie
I will try it once I get a free internet access. :( I have limited quota, and shitty internet speed (30 Kbytes/s).

Anyways, I don't see it a driver flaw. It should have been working perfectly fine when I first purchased it. As at that moment I had the latest specs and Win XP. The same driver I am using works with Nvidia 9400 GT, which my friend has it.

I am going to send the PC to a nearby expert to test it and identify the solution.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
NVIDIA is very open about flaws and when one is found, they fix it.

Doing so allows them to do stuff that other vendors can't. The driver has a LOT to do with it, and has a semi-high chance of being the problem.

elite

Oldie moldie
nathu, well. It isn't only in Win7. XP too.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Just as I expected! It did nothing. :Z

I downloaded it and installed it. Same as the previous drivers. It has nothing to do with the drivers. So, what's next?

elite

Oldie moldie
Call customer support.
Nvidia corporation you mean? It isn't a problem in the GPU, as I did replace it one time.

I am talking about what hardware should I replace if that would solve the problem. It seems that this isn't a software problem.

nathu

i forgot to mention ..............

i did a BIOS update and then a clean installation of windows 7 :cool:

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Yeah, next in line would be a bios update I suppose.

They're only like 1MB or so.

If you can't run your things bios updating tool (I couldn't run HP's tool as it was only for windows vista and XP), I'll help you out with flashing it (It's rather easy).

If you're 100% sure it's the correct bios, all you have to do is extract the .exe (Most installers have all their files like that, and you can extract it in Linux, more specifically "File Roller" which comes with GNOME usually, or using some archive managers in Windows I think). There's usually a SOMETHING.ROM that's like a megabyte which can be flashing using the AFUWIN utility (Worked on 7 for me).

If the going gets tough, go ghetto. It was either that or no Intel-VT on my quad..which wasn't going to fly.

I however cannot see how a windows 7 reinstall would help with that though..

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Try stress testing your computer with LinPack or Prime95. This should at l east rule out the CPU.

elite

Oldie moldie
NoEffex, I don't think that would be useful. Running a new mobo is just as updating to a newer BIOS. I am also afraid to brick it as what happened in the old mobo.

I know that there is different processes to update the BIOS. I tried the executable file. It restarted my computer, went into a black screen, started installation with text printing on the PC, at the end (Update successful). After restart, it bricked. :S

x3sphere, I'll try that. Thanks.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
NoEffex, I don't think that would be useful. Running a new mobo is just as updating to a newer BIOS. I am also afraid to brick it as what happened in the old mobo.

I know that there is different processes to update the BIOS. I tried the executable file. It restarted my computer, went into a black screen, started installation with text printing on the PC, at the end (Update successful). After restart, it bricked. :S

x3sphere, I'll try that. Thanks.

I would heartedly recommend Prime95 for stressing out the CPU. Whats great is that you can also use it for the RAM (Although Memtest86 would be better) as there's different tests like the Small FFTs test which really focuses on just the CPU with code that fits into the L2 cache while there's the Blend test that tests everything including lots of your RAM.

elite

Oldie moldie
At last guys, it was the RAM.

I downloaded Prime95. Made the Blend test. Waited 10 mins, and it didn't finish. I said oh well, and closed it. I tried the other tests. Benchmark finished correctly with no errors. I then tried an other program for CPU stability, no errors.

After that, I downloaded a stability and benchmark test for the GPU. Talking to my brother, I realized that we didn't actually change the GPU. When the program ran, computer recovered from freeze, and I ran the test. It said test failed and told me to restart computer. Upon restart, executed the program, and the test went on. After 30 mins, it didn't finish. I exited it noticing that there might be a chance for the GPU to not be the prime foul here.

After a while, I called up my friend to bring his computer. It has a Geforce 9400 GT with an upgraded CPU and 4 GB RAM. Then, I replaced his Graphics card with mine. Guess what? It was still freezing in games! That phased out the GPU, since his card works perfectly on his comp. Second, it was the RAM turn. Upon replacing them, no freeze! Launched the game several times, and it still didn't freeze. :)

That made me happy to know the truth since 2008. xD

Thanks you guys for helping me out here. Just 2 more questions. What would you suggest to upgrade? Is 4Gb good? 32-bit OS can use as a maximum 3.2 Gbyte of RAM. So would I benefit from expanding it?

Second, should I upgrade my GPU or the CPU for better gaming experience?