• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC gaming is not dead

MenaceInc

Staff Member
http://www.pcgamingisnotdead.com/

Have many people here seen this? Setup by Razer so I wonder what they have up their sleeve. The whole speech has a bit of a V for Vendetta style to it. There's going to be a big announcement on the 26th of August apparently.

Thoughts on what it may be? A new product line? Mice, keyboard, something motion controller related?

Also, there was this full page advert put into the Wall Street Journal today apparently.

yAgYg.jpg

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Really not sure what they have up their sleeve. They have a few professional teams under their wings so I'm expecting it'll be something along those lines instead of their product division. They really don't have any new products that they can come out with, they just revealed a new headset earlier this year as well as the Xbox 360 controller. A simple accessory/peripheral will not be enough to warrant such a viral campaign.

EDIT: Well it may be a peripheral of some sort, Min-Liang Tan from Razer retweeted someones comment about spending money and added a smiley face...so it may be a product launch

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Are you sure this isn't an anon thing? xD

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Was thinking it was something similar to the Razer Switchblade. Don't know why they would do something like this though for a product like the switchblade. It doesn't exactly show that PC gaming isn't dead to me.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I heard something around the water cooler about a new keyboard from them which supposedly features LCD touch screen keys which can auto detect and/or be configured to be optimized for a particular game.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I heard something around the water cooler about a new keyboard from them which supposedly features LCD touch screen keys which can auto detect and/or be configured to be optimized for a particular game.

The concept sounds awesome but I don't I cannot picture it in "motion".

MenaceInc

Staff Member

Sounds like the Switchblade but without the screen. Fairly sure this has been done before though.

Yep, the Optimus Maximus.

[video=youtube;GBDBRg3HJqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBDBRg3HJqA[/video]

MenaceInc

Staff Member
So, seems that Razer's answer to PC gaming 'dying' is to bring out an outrageously overpriced laptop.
Yep, because that'll help convince people who use the price point of hardware as a reason for not playing PC games.

RRP I believe is around the $2800 mark.
17" 1920x1080 screen, Intel i7-2640M dual core, 8GB of DDR2-1333, integrated graphics for 'mobile mode' and a GT 555M for dedicated graphics.
Apparently will weight about 7lb.

http://www.razerzone.com/blade

The most unique feature it has is a trackpad with a small screen builtin so it can change icons or whatever but it's still waaaaay too high a price to bring PC gaming back from the dead. Utterly ridiculous.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Totally not worth the hype they gave it. I'm not very impressed. Still a very large laptop regardless of weight and thin profile (it's still very large). I'd much rather have an Alienware M11x. Trackpad concept is cool but I never look down at my keyboard when playing a game nor would I want to.

El Diablo

That laptop is way over priced for those specs. You could get an Alienware m17x or even an m18x with same processor, ram and better video card for less and they always seem to be considered the most over priced computers. Sure it will be a little bulkier and not have that little screen but is that worth almost 1000 dollars extra?

And I must say the m11x is seriously an amazing computer, I love mine and it's just an R1 I'd kill for one of the newer ones.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'll never understand the appeal in gaming on a laptop.

El Diablo

It's not my primary machine, but there are times I am at work (or just anywhere without my desktop/want to lay in bed) and have nothing to do so I want to play a little CS or some other game, it's nice to have a laptop that can play games when you want it to, especially one as portable as the m11x.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Gaming on a laptop is going to bring back PC gaming? I didn't even know it was gone really.

Moose

Meta Moose
Gaming on a laptop can only ever be a satisfactory experience if you have a gaming mouse (which automatically reduces the portability of the laptop as gaming hardware)... and a mains charger so that you can play for more than an hour without worrying that it'll go to sleep at a crucial moment... oh, and a desk, because gaming on your lap is too uncomfortable to be considered fun.

El Diablo

That's debatable. It all depends on the side of the laptop, what types of games you're playing etc. I have no problem laying propped up in my bed with my laptop on my lap and a mouse on the side of me on a mousepad on my bed, although certain games are noticeably harder to play.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Ridiculously overpriced, almost as ridiculous as their claim of it being "the world's first gaming laptop".