• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Shutting Off in the Middle of Posting

Noriyuke

Ok, this is kind of an emergency, i was taking the HDD out to see if it would work for the xbox and soon after replacing the HDD, i tried turning it on and it immediatly shuts off in the middle of posting, then it turns on and shuts off, at least the fans do, and keeps doing so until i disconnect the power.

Is tha Mobo Dead? or is there something i can do, please let me know soon, im freaking out here, its my stepdads pc and hes gonna throw me a good shitfit.

mohaas05

Try resetting the CMOS. There is a jumper in there (the mobo documentation will tell you where) that will let you wipe it.

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't start up if they weren't.
Well there is a 12(?)volt 4pin cable that you have to connect on the mobo or else it will boot, but will just hang in the post screen.
If I remember correctly it is white, may be diffrent with you.

twelve

I'm not dead
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't start up if they weren't.

It doesn't start up tho.

Couple of things it could be:

Knackered power supply (altho generally you'd make it to windows before it would turn off/crash)
CPU overheating (check the fan is connected)
Loose power connections (this would make it appear as if the power supply was knackered)
Corrupted BIOS (clearing cmos won't help this, you need a way to reflash the BIOS or replace the chip)

Or it could be something really trivial that we're all failing to see.

Noriyuke

OK, i tried everything you guys recommended except the CMOS thing, i dont have the documentation for the mobo and i will be looking for it online in a little bit, what im going to do now, is unplug everything and replug it together from scratch and see if that works. Now a few of these ideas dont really seem to be the problem, mainly because the issue is that its not turning on at all really. It doesnt seem like its even getting to start posting. Why?

Well basically, when i press the power button to turn it on, i know its turning on because i have 2 LED Multicolor fans that light up, but immediatly shut off and then start up again, this is without pressing the power button again, and it keeps doing that until i shut off the power supply or disconnect it altogether. Even after disconnecting it, the LED's light up and shut off again one last time.

SO, ill let you guys know if plugging it altogether again works. But any other ideas would be helpful.

Additional Comment:
This Might be an unnecessary bump, but i unplugged everything and replugged from scratch, same problem.

Now, if it is the power supply, on a scale from 1-10 how easy are those things to repair? I mean, i have decent understanding of electronics, and i used to just always trash messed up PSU's but im willing to give it a shot and fix it due to my money situation.

Hardrive

Contributor
I remember reading somewhere that opening up a power supply can be dangerous because they can store a charge for quite some time. I don't know if this is true, but if I were you, I would just replace the power supply.

You said that you didn't know about the CMOS stuff. It can be tricky to jump it, but there's an easier way. Look for a small watch-sized battery on your motherboard. Pop it out, wait a bit, and pop it back in. This has the same effect.

LocutusEstBorg

Well basically, when i press the power button to turn it on, i know its turning on because i have 2 LED Multicolor fans that light up, but immediatly shut off and then start up again, this is without pressing the power button again, and it keeps doing that until i shut off the power supply or disconnect it altogether. Even after disconnecting it, the LED's light up and shut off again one last time.

Most modern motherboards cycle the fans once, then boot. Its most probably your PSU (or its connectors), and I wouldn't recommend you open it to fix it yourself.

Noriyuke

Ok, well how about this little bit of info, when i unplug the 4pin psu to mobo cable, the pc turns on and stays on until i remove the power, but when i plug it in, it does the whole turn on and off constantly thing.

Suggestions?

LocutusEstBorg

Might I recommend the Corsair HX420 as the minimum you should get for a mid spec PC with a graphics card.

Edit. Looks like that isn't available anymore. HX520 it is.