• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Piracy

It IS stealing if you can afford to buy it, but you choose to pirate it. But not if you REALLY would never blow that amount of money on it, in which case you can look at it as only making a copy which doesn't hurt anyone else.

Assume a hobbyist developer downloaded Visual Studio. Do you think he would actually blow 2000$ on it?? It seems Microsoft realizes that anyone who has the cash to buy it will buy it and the rest WILL pirate it, so there is absolutely no protection in Visual Studio.

Whattt?? Visual Studio isn't free?? I swear I downloaded the full version from Microsoft. :bored:

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
You kids are fucking delusional if you think piracy isn't stealing. Rationalize it however you want, but at the end of the day, if you didn't pay for it and it's now in your possession, it's theft.

Just because you want to call it sharing doesn't make it that.

Idiots.

eldiablov

Contributor
It IS stealing if you can afford to buy it, but you choose to pirate it. But not if you REALLY would never blow that amount of money on it,

That makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Ok, I would NEVER buy this million dollar plasma tv, so im gonna take it. It isn't stealing though?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You kids are fucking delusional if you think piracy isn't stealing. Rationalize it however you want, but at the end of the day, if you didn't pay for it and it's now in your possession, it's theft.

Idiots.

QFT (Quoted for Truth)

Piracy is piracy, regardless of whether you can afford it. One really can't argue in favor of piracy even if they are poor. The real argument should be "why". Why do people pirate. Many say it's because they don't have the money to afford the games, while others attribute it to how easy it is to do so. Why do I do it? Well that's a combination of both reasons. I have no money lying around to buy games that are $60 - I wait for the price to drop to at least half that. If it is out on the PC and I'm bored at the time I might look up a good game and see if I can pirate it. It's not because I would've bought that game originally but because it is a game that interests me and I just want to see how it plays. Most games I pirate I never finish since I have no sense of ownership or that I even put my money into the game (because I didn't).

Buy your games people, you are more likely to enjoy them at that point ;) I still buy console games, although as of lately I can't afford to get every game I want (next console purchase may be Prototype and then Modern Warfare 2 for the entire remainder of this year). I just have other things I need/want to invest in, and college is one of them. So why do I pirate? It's because I'm bored!

Clint

Clintoris

Idiots.

I'm glad you decided to take the mature approach...

When you're pirating something like Creative Suite, it doesn't really matter. Adobe wouldn't be making a sale from you if you didn't pirate it. They make money from businesses that purchase licenses to use, not individuals.

Pirating Visual Studio though is definitely stupid, you have no excuse. Either get a job that uses Visual Studio and could provide you with a company laptop or something, or if you're a student, get it from DreamSpark...

You might not agree with piracy, but there's no need to be so immature about it.

Joey

When you're pirating something like Creative Suite, it doesn't really matter. Adobe wouldn't be making a sale from you if you didn't pirate it. They make money from businesses that purchase licenses to use, not individuals.

Pirating Visual Studio though is definitely stupid, you have no excuse. Either get a job that uses Visual Studio and could provide you with a company laptop or something, or if you're a student, get it from DreamSpark...

You might not agree with piracy, but there's no need to be so immature about it.
I love the kids who use the "Abrasive language equals immaturity" argument.

Some times you have to be abrasive when you're taking to morons. Clearly it got through to you.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team

Because clearly the armed robber of the convenience store wouldn't have ever been in possession of the tender he was about to grab by pointing a gun at the clerks head, therefore it's OK. Maybe he was just a student and needed to pay some bills or buy some beer.

I pirate shit, but I don't think it's ever not exactly what it is, theft.

Like I said previously, you can rationalize it however you want. At the end of day it's theft and you are the one doing it and the one potentially responsible for your actions if you get caught, just like every other crime.

From my perspective, it's all you rationalize-ers that are being immature about it and not manning up to your actions by calling it sharing in some roundabout way or form.

Call a spade a spade.

Edit - A little language never hurt anyone. My original post is exactly what I would verbally say to anyone in this thread in a real life conversation. Anybody who has ever gamed with me online knows I average about 6 f-bombs per minute.

LocutusEstBorg

That makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Ok, I would NEVER buy this million dollar plasma tv, so im gonna take it. It isn't stealing though?

If you stole the TV which you would NEVER buy, you cause the store a million dollar loss. You don't hurt any one if you pirate something that you REALLY would NEVER buy. (Of course most people pirate affordable software as well but that's a different story. There's no excuse for pirating a 10$ or 20$ piece of software that is worth the money.)

Idiots.

Of course its illegal and you can get busted. No one's arguing that. My point is like I stated above. I'd 'steal' it because it doesn't hurt anyone and I know for a fact that I'd never buy it anyway.
EDIT: And I don't call it 'sharing' either, that's just bullshit, a lame attempt to make it seem morally right regardless of whether you would have bought it or not.

Joey

If you stole the TV which you would NEVER buy, you cause the store a million dollar loss. You don't hurt any one if you pirate something that you REALLY would NEVER buy. (Of course most people pirate affordable software as well but that's a different story. There's no excuse for pirating a 10$ or 20$ piece of software that is worth the money.)

Of course its illegal and you can get busted. No one's arguing that. My point is like I stated above. I'd 'steal' it because it doesn't hurt anyone and I know for a fact that I'd never buy it anyway.
EDIT: And I don't call it 'sharing' either, that's just bullshit, trying to make it seem morally right regardless of whether you would have bought it or not.
So you're basically saying stealing an expensive TV is ok, because nobody "get's hurt"?

Gutya

Read his post, he said that stealing a TV is worse than pirating software because the store loses the TV and never gets it back but when you pirate you're just making a copy so the original is never lost and can still be sold.

Joey

Read his post, he said that stealing a TV is worse than pirating software because the store loses the TV and never gets it back but when you pirate you're just making a copy so the original is never lost and can still be sold.

Sorry, it's hard to read. Bad grammar is bad.

Cryox

Bro.
I shouldn't have to put forth more of an effort just because he's a lazy writer. Plus, I have a headache. Just looking at this screen is painful.

that is true, as i have seen posts that have two meanings depending on whether a comma is there or not.
btw, take a pain reliever :w00t:;)

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.

Idiots.

Just because you want to call it stealing it doesn't make it that.
i'd be no different if a friend bought a cd and you listened and liked it so he make a copy on a cd-r for you. is that stealing? or only your point of view?
i'm just trying to look at this from a different perspective,

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Just because you want to call it stealing it doesn't make it that.
i'd be no different if a friend bought a cd and you listened and liked it so he make a copy on a cd-r for you. is that stealing? or only your point of view?
i'm just trying to look at this from a different perspective,

That's stealing (your CD example) and also piracy is stealing regardless of how much you do it or how little the price on the product was