• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Piracy

LocutusEstBorg

So you're basically saying stealing an expensive TV is ok, because nobody "get's hurt"?

Yes. That would be equivalent to finding the TV randomly lying outside your doorstep. Just because you can't afford to buy it from a store, doesn't mean you wouldn't take it.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Yes, it's theft. You didn't pay the original creator for it.
hmm, i concede that this is true. interesting indeed

Slasher

Suck It
Yes. That would be equivalent to finding the TV randomly lying outside your doorstep. Just because you can't afford to buy it from a store, doesn't mean you wouldn't take it.

Uhm, if a TV was out on public property, or even better, my property; Fucking right I would take it if its owner wasn't there. Your original post and your little equivalency test here shares nothing in common, unless I'm reading this wrong here. There's a big difference between something being in possession of someone else (eg. A TV inside of a retailer store, or a song that somebody else bought), and something just being out and about. Going based on pure moral instinct, I would never steal something from a retailer store. I pirate software/music though because I would rather not spend my money on it, I know it's stealing but I don't really care because I can't afford it being a student and all. It hurts the music industry and the artists because I no longer buy their music. I know it's wrong, but I'm a dirty stinkin pirate, right?

If it's something you would NEVER buy, then you don't deserve to have it. Simple as that. I know I don't deserve all of the music I have on my PC here. You're stealing it so you can use it and enjoy it, but that doesn't mean you deserve to have it. Whether somebody gets hurt (financially or even physically) or not is irrelevant, because somebody IS getting hurt indirectly - the most obvious thing being less sales. In some cases for example games, you might want to test it out before buying it which is alright I guess if there is no demo available, but you're walking a thin line by doing this and bypassing the act of buying it. You're stealing it, and then technically 'returning' it by deleting it after you're done testing it out. But we all know most people just end up keeping it and never buying the real thing.

Basically, if you steal something because you know you would never buy it, then you don't deserve to listen to that song or play that game or test that software in the first place. It's stealing whether you like it or not. I think you're making your point from a pirates point of view but failing to look at it from any others. You ARE hurting the seller of whatever it is you are pirating even if it's indirectly.

Chathurga

I never try and justify my piracy. There shit out there I can either a) pay for or b) get for free.

I get that shit for free.

Lampworker

I'm a thief. Oh noez!

Heh people get so defensive... why? Called a name you don't like? Pfft. Don't be silly, your a thief and are stealing. Deal with the reality and you will feel better. I sure do!

Why try to justify it in different terms? Instead, blame the system itself for making you a thief. (You had no choice, it forced the issue. It would have raped your momma otherwise)

Really it's the broken and outdated system I object to. We have the ability to distribute so many things at a reduced cost. No packaging, no production, etc related cost in terms the distribution. Along with this fact, if we were allowed to MORE DIRECTLY contribute to the creators of the content, wouldn't we all be more likely to do so?

It's the system that's broken and I refuse to use it. Let me contribute to the creators more directly. Let me pay less for a product because you don't have to pay any distribution costs. This... is only reasonable. The system has made me a thief.

As noted, bands that distribute their music for free are on the right track to making a killing in concert sales. Why can't this apply to other areas? I don't want to be forced to go to a theater for a movie, I want to sit at home and eat my own dam popcorn and drink and smoke while I watch it. I should not only have this right, but should have it at a reduced cost. I am not using the unwanted theaters services.

Same goes with software. How much do the actual developers get of a retail sale? If we could contribute to them more directly and cut out the unwanted and unneeded shit, we could give them more and hope to get more in return.

Broken system doesn't want to admit it's broken. Oh well, then get next to nothing from me. I WANT to support people that produce the content, but putting most of the money into this beast of a system I can't get behind. Besides, it tried to rape my momma.

Whisper

Logic :(
Heh people get so defensive... why? Called a name you don't like? Pfft. Don't be silly, your a thief and are stealing. Deal with the reality and you will feel better. I sure do!

Why try to justify it in different terms? Instead, blame the system itself for making you a thief. (You had no choice, it forced the issue. It would have raped your momma otherwise)

Really it's the broken and outdated system I object to. We have the ability to distribute so many things at a reduced cost. No packaging, no production, etc related cost in terms the distribution. Along with this fact, if we were allowed to MORE DIRECTLY contribute to the creators of the content, wouldn't we all be more likely to do so?

It's the system that's broken and I refuse to use it. Let me contribute to the creators more directly. Let me pay less for a product because you don't have to pay any distribution costs. This... is only reasonable. The system has made me a thief.

As noted, bands that distribute their music for free are on the right track to making a killing in concert sales. Why can't this apply to other areas? I don't want to be forced to go to a theater for a movie, I want to sit at home and eat my own dam popcorn and drink and smoke while I watch it. I should not only have this right, but should have it at a reduced cost. I am not using the unwanted theaters services.

Same goes with software. How much do the actual developers get of a retail sale? If we could contribute to them more directly and cut out the unwanted and unneeded shit, we could give them more and hope to get more in return.

Broken system doesn't want to admit it's broken. Oh well, then get next to nothing from me. I WANT to support people that produce the content, but putting most of the money into this beast of a system I can't get behind. Besides, it tried to rape my momma.

That is probably one of the most twisted and contradictory excuses posted so far.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
That is probably one of the most twisted and contradictory excuses posted so far.

no, it makes sense. $7 direct to an artist for an album is MUCH better than $20 for an album where the artist see's $1.50, with WAY to much going to a grotesque middleman that hates its consumer base enough to sue for values in excess of 500000% retail value, and which is resisting change every step of the way.

january39

eXo Staff
This thread is odd, seemingly numerous reasons why piracy is ok.

Because it is difficult to buy the original?? Too much packaging?? Hmmmmm

I can't get a copy of a EUR Final Fantasy dissidia for PSP (until July 09) which i am desperate for, so might as well pirate me a copy as it is too hard to get hold of in the UK is kinda what i am picking up reading this thread.

Half the reason albums cost alot, software costs a lot is down to the fact producers of said material need to recoup cost's that pirates have taken through illegal copies, same applies to any console game/s.

Piracy is wrong, whatever format and only contributes to a lack of choice and smaller software houses and artists going bust.

Just my view and why i always buy my own - Plus you get the cases and instructions :)

xist

The justification for elevated prices based upon piracy is hugely flawed though....what proportion of those pirated albums/movies/games would actually have worked out as sales anyway, and how much revenue has really been lost? I'd argue very little and that high prices are down to historical and greed based reasons, plus disdain of the consumer. How many of those clamouring kids actually download with purpose instead of purchasing, and how many download just because it's a habit?

Many of the people who actually do buy their media will use the opportunity to try stuff out via download as a test to see whether it's worth the outlay. Why should we be conned by clever advertising, when that money could have been invested into making a decent product? Whilst i understand that software piracy to avoid import delays is wrong, why should us Europeans get shafted on Portable release dates? And why the hell did Lik-Sang have to pay the price they did.

It's lazy and wrong, and whilst i personally always prefer to have the real thing (

madsoul

But the point is, what right do you have to deserve everything?

no right. but its there, a few clicks away. i usually try before i buy.

however, now i dont dear to download with the new law here in sweden. when the movie and music industry etc have all the rights to track down individuals and claim a massive amount of money for downloading one album, just for the lulz. to scare everyone els from doing it. well well.

january39

eXo Staff
The justification for elevated prices based upon piracy is hugely flawed though....what proportion of those pirated albums/movies/games would actually have worked out as sales anyway, and how much revenue has really been lost? I'd argue very little and that high prices are down to historical and greed based reasons, plus disdain of the consumer. How many of those clamouring kids actually download with purpose instead of purchasing, and how many download just because it's a habit?

Many of the people who actually do buy their media will use the opportunity to try stuff out via download as a test to see whether it's worth the outlay. Why should we be conned by clever advertising, when that money could have been invested into making a decent product? Whilst i understand that software piracy to avoid import delays is wrong, why should us Europeans get shafted on Portable release dates? And why the hell did Lik-Sang have to pay the price they did.

It's lazy and wrong, and whilst i personally always prefer to have the real thing (

xist

One download does not, and never will, equate to one sale....whilst it's no justification for piracy if consumers were actually given something that was worth having many more would purchase. I'll always buy an album when some efforts have been gone into making it desirable. My last purchase was the Amon Amarth 3 disc TotTG album....all they did was produce a nicer booklet and include a live CD and DVD (which would have cost very little to add) but making it desirable to consumers is half the battle.

If you package up crap and expect it not to turn people off buying again in the future, who's ultimately to blame for falling sales?

january39

eXo Staff
Well, in theory it should though; and it onlys differs to that because it can be easily copied/Downloaded etc although the software houses & Music companies have to acknowledge that in part they create the problem i spse

I hear what you say on the packaging of crap though, it's widespread. :(

Colm

OK, I've covered music piracy a bit earlier, let's head on to software.
I'm not going to justify pirating software.

I spent quite a bit of cash building this PC. Buying Windows genuine etc. would only force me to wait another year, possibly two. Yes, I've stolen Windows, stolen ESET Smart Security, stolen WinRAR, mIRC...
It's illegal. It's immoral. But the only reason I have is that I required that software. I don't have any proper source of income, and getting the physical parts of the computer took some time.
I'm also not going to say that it's software that I'd never buy, because I would buy it. Maybe about two years later...

Pirating games: a similar story. I buy good PC games. I buy PS3 games. Anything else, I pirate, because I don't have money to buy them. Mirror's Edge is good, but is about 5 hours worth

ilyace

OK, I've covered music piracy a bit earlier, let's head on to software.
I'm not going to justify pirating software.

I spent quite a bit of cash building this PC. Buying Windows genuine etc. would only force me to wait another year, possibly two. Yes, I've stolen Windows, stolen ESET Smart Security, stolen WinRAR, mIRC...
It's illegal. It's immoral. But the only reason I have is that I required that software. I don't have any proper source of income, and getting the physical parts of the computer took some time.
I'm also not going to say that it's software that I'd never buy, because I would buy it. Maybe about two years later...

Pirating games: a similar story. I buy good PC games. I buy PS3 games. Anything else, I pirate, because I don't have money to buy them. Mirror's Edge is good, but is about 5 hours worth

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Pirating PC software is a bit different than games. You can find free alternatives to all the software you have listed. You don't "have" to pirate any of that software, you want it and you pirated it, simple as that.

I do not enjoy pirating games, when I find a good game that is coming out I would buy it and I am very tight on money (that's why my 360 game library is small but titles like COD4 can keep me occupied until my next game purchase). When it comes to PC piracy I generally would pirate a game just to try it out (take Demigod for example, I wanted to try it out and after trying it out I decided it was bad so I stopped playing it within an hour). I've also downloaded PURE for the computer and found that it was an excellent game and enjoyed it very much, I would have no problem paying for that game.

Paying for your games also adds more value to the game IMO. Whenever I've pirated a game I tend not to play it as long as I might play a game I've paid for. I won't beat the game, I just have no incentive to do so.

There is no way to justify piracy. Be conservative with your money and pay for games you know you will enjoy and will get your money's worth. I would love to own several games but am unable to right now, so what am I doing? I'm waiting until they come down in price to make a purchase. There is no law saying that you must buy a game when it comes out. There is no law stating that you must play all AAA titles that come out for a console.

Be a smart gamer, not a pirate.