• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Piracy

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Pirating PC software is a bit different than games. You can find free alternatives to all the software you have listed. You don't "have" to pirate any of that software, you want it and you pirated it, simple as that.

I do not enjoy pirating games, when I find a good game that is coming out I would buy it and I am very tight on money (that's why my 360 game library is small but titles like COD4 can keep me occupied until my next game purchase). When it comes to PC piracy I generally would pirate a game just to try it out (take Demigod for example, I wanted to try it out and after trying it out I decided it was bad so I stopped playing it within an hour). I've also downloaded PURE for the computer and found that it was an excellent game and enjoyed it very much, I would have no problem paying for that game.

Paying for your games also adds more value to the game IMO. Whenever I've pirated a game I tend not to play it as long as I might play a game I've paid for. I won't beat the game, I just have no incentive to do so.

There is no way to justify piracy. [HIGHLIGHT]Be conservative with your money and pay for games you know you will enjoy and will get your money's worth.[/HIGHLIGHT] I would love to own several games but am unable to right now, so what am I doing? I'm waiting until they come down in price to make a purchase. There is no law saying that you must buy a game when it comes out. There is no law stating that you must play all AAA titles that come out for a console.

Be a smart gamer, not a pirate.
How would you possibly know that before playing it.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
How would you possibly know that before playing it.

Easy - Demoes, reviews, videos and rentals will generally give you more then enough of a good idea on how good the game is.

As for music, there's enough free music initiatives to give you a good idea on whether a song (or even an album) is good enough - Spotify, Last.fm, Playlist.com and Youtube have more then enough music for you to satisfy your music cravings.

As for movies, generally video trailers and movie reviews give you a good enough of an idea. Plus, Cinemas are fairly cheap anyway, and so are DVDs. Movie rentals are even cheaper again.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Easy - Demoes, reviews, videos and rentals will generally give you more then enough of a good idea on how good the game is.

As for music, there's enough free music initiatives to give you a good idea on whether a song (or even an album) is good enough - Spotify, Last.fm, Playlist.com and Youtube have more then enough music for you to satisfy your music cravings.

As for movies, generally video trailers and movie reviews give you a good enough of an idea. Plus, Cinemas are fairly cheap anyway, and so are DVDs. Movie rentals are even cheaper again.

Demos: Not every game has one, And some of the ones that do, don't give you an good enough representation of what the game is like. Dead rising is probably the only game I can name in recent memory, that I brought (and liked) based on the demo.

Reviews: The opinion of somebody that gets paid to rush through a game, and make a snap judgment. is not an opinion I'd make a purchase based on.

Video: The least valid option out of all the ones you listed.

Rentals: I haven't seen a blockbuster store in almost 4 years. Hollywood video is an hour and a half away, And gamefly tried to sue me when the fucking mailman stole burnout revenge, so they can eat a dick.

And I'm not giving reasons to pirate. Cause I buy a lot of games, I still buy Cd's and blu rays.
I'm just pointing how what works for one person does not work for all.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Demos: Not every game has one, And some of the ones that do, don't give you an good enough representation of what the game is like. Dead rising is probably the only game I can name in recent memory, that I brought (and liked) based on the demo.

Reviews: The opinion of somebody that gets paid to rush through a game, and make a snap judgment. is not an opinion I'd make a purchase based on.

Video: The least valid option out of all the ones you listed.

Rentals: I haven't seen a blockbuster store in almost 4 years. Hollywood video is an hour and a half away, And gamefly tried to sue me when the fucking mailman stole burnout revenge, so they can eat a dick.

And I'm not giving reasons to pirate. Cause I buy a lot of games, I still buy Cd's and blu rays.
I'm just pointing how what works for one person does not work for all.

It's easy to tell if a game is worth buying: Find a reviewer or site that shows similar tastes and reviews to yourself. I myself enjoy reading 1up's reviews and only read their reviews. Lately some sites have been also releasing video reviews in which they show you the gameplay and describe the game's pros and cons. Just based off of those two sources I am generally able to out if a game is worth buying.

Demos - After playing Call of Duty 4's Multiplayer Beta I decided that it was a game I had to own (and i disliked most of the previous COD game settings so this was a fresh face). I've also played the Red Faction demo and must say, blowing up shit is fun - I'm definitely going to get that game

Video - Shows gameplay mechanics - just look at the upcoming batman game - I already want that game based off of the videos and opinions that have been released so far.

Usually blogs such as Kotaku, Joystiq and some 1UP articles hype games they like up, generally those are games that most hardcore gamers would enjoy. Also just ask for opinions from other gamers, I'm sure they'll be willing to give their take on a game

Alien

Sorry but in my opinion even if iso does promote piracy and make Sony stop making PSP games its mostly there fault anyway for having a bad marketing stratdgey.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Sorry but in my opinion even if iso does promote piracy and make Sony stop making PSP games its mostly there fault anyway for having a bad marketing stratdgey.

What are you talking about? It's the pirates fault for pirating rather than buying the game.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
It's easy to tell if a game is worth buying: Find a reviewer or site that shows similar tastes and reviews to yourself. I myself enjoy reading 1up's reviews and only read their reviews. Lately some sites have been also releasing video reviews in which they show you the gameplay and describe the game's pros and cons. Just based off of those two sources I am generally able to out if a game is worth buying.

Demos - After playing Call of Duty 4's Multiplayer Beta I decided that it was a game I had to own (and i disliked most of the previous COD game settings so this was a fresh face). I've also played the Red Faction demo and must say, blowing up shit is fun - I'm definitely going to get that game

Video - Shows gameplay mechanics - just look at the upcoming batman game - I already want that game based off of the videos and opinions that have been released so far.

Usually blogs such as Kotaku, Joystiq and some 1UP articles hype games they like up, generally those are games that most hardcore gamers would enjoy. Also just ask for opinions from other gamers, I'm sure they'll be willing to give their take on a game

I still don't think video is Something that could get me to buy a game. Only impression I get from videos is how nice a game looks.
But I will acknowledge that you are right, and if somebody can find a site where they generally agree with the reviewers, then that could be a viable option.

And then again. I'm a very picky gamer due to the fact that I've purchased so many games I wasn't happy with using the aforementioned options to determine what I should buy.

It's funny you mentioned Call of Duty 4, cause I hated the beta, but loved the full game :p
Kind of a bad example though, cause Call of Duty betas are closed. And you can't try a game if you can't play it, but I get the gist of what you're saying.

Atnas

I dont think it was so much their marketing stratedgy. I think it had to with the fact that they thought the homebrew scene would never reach what it has, and once it did start how were they ever able to keep up. Now Apple has made them look like fools with the Iphone, because it has become what they PSP should have been ( in the sense of becoming an handheld ICON ). Thats why its sooo surprising to me atleast that SONYbrought out the 3000, amd then turn around an put all the attention on the PSP2. to reclaim the #1 as electronic powerhouse. Think of it from SONY's POV....we got owned by kids..and thats how they see us....cause they cant see us.

Alien

What are you talking about? It's the pirates fault for pirating rather than buying the game.

I was talking about Sony Marketing stratagdey.I was not relating piracy to Sony at all:huh:.

I dont think it was so much their marketing stratedgy. I think it had to with the fact that they thought the homebrew scene would never reach what it has, and once it did start how were they ever able to keep up. Now Apple has made them look like fools with the Iphone, because it has become what they PSP should have been ( in the sense of becoming an handheld ICON ). Thats why its sooo surprising to me atleast that SONYbrought out the 3000, amd then turn around an put all the attention on the PSP2. to reclaim the #1 as electronic powerhouse. Think of it from SONY's POV....we got owned by kids..and thats how they see us....cause they cant see us.

Thats not a bad point, but the Iphone has just as much pirating, if not more for the Iphone, as you can download games free on the spot from the system itself, and the developers lose more money from this then Apple. The PSP 3000 wasnt an attempt by any means to bring back the PSP, it was just a minor hardware revision, all companies do it. All systems have piraters, it just depends on how many of them pirate and steal games, its not at all because of pirates that the PSP has not had a decent flow of good games. Sony is an 8 billion dollar corporation, they arent losing any more money from PSP games as they are from PS3s sold. Its just the PSP was a clear victim of its enviroment, when it was released in 2005, Sony knew they had to release it soon before the market would have been gulped up by Nintendo's DS. And they did a good job, the PSP had one of the best software launched I have ever seen. But I feel as if after the launch, they had a PS3 to focus on to get released and then once it was released, they had to focus on games for it. Now its four years later, and they are finally buckling down and giving the PSP the software it needs.

I really dont feel like Sony really doesnt give a crap about homebrew users. They patch the mistakes in there firmwares sure, but only because game developers would be pissed if Sony did nothing to stop piraters, they show some effort. But its not like they all sit in a room with each other planning out what they shall do in the next firmware to stop hackers.

Aragorn38

Mature User :)
That is a point of view excellently argumented. That sounds really right too.

Atnas

Thats not a bad point, but the Iphone has just as much pirating, if not more for the Iphone, as you can download games free on the spot from the system itself, and the developers lose more money from this then Apple. The PSP 3000 wasnt an attempt by any means to bring back the PSP, it was just a minor hardware revision, all companies do it. All systems have piraters, it just depends on how many of them pirate and steal games, its not at all because of pirates that the PSP has not had a decent flow of good games. Sony is an 8 billion dollar corporation, they arent losing any more money from PSP games as they are from PS3s sold. Its just the PSP was a clear victim of its enviroment, when it was released in 2005, Sony knew they had to release it soon before the market would have been gulped up by Nintendo's DS. And they did a good job, the PSP had one of the best software launched I have ever seen. But I feel as if after the launch, they had a PS3 to focus on to get released and then once it was released, they had to focus on games for it. Now its four years later, and they are finally buckling down and giving the PSP the software it needs.

I really dont feel like Sony really doesnt give a crap about homebrew users. They patch the mistakes in there firmwares sure, but only because game developers would be pissed if Sony did nothing to stop piraters, they show some effort. But its not like they all sit in a room with each other planning out what they shall do in the next firmware to stop hackers.

Have you read that article about on the MFM homepage, about how Sony believes that the piracy of the PSP is sickening?Is Apple not encouraging homebrew with the AppStore?With every update/model revision Sony thinks they have cured their "sickness", but when infact alot of the innovations of hombrew are better than the features they slowly give us. I agree when someone says that you should not be able to download a UMD and play it, but I should be able to play all the backups of the legit PSX games I have. The system is capable of doing so. So why can't I have it? I'll tell you, because SCEA isn't recieving any royalties from it. So what they focused on the PS3! if they didnt have the time to make games for it they should have encouraged the homebrew to make some more money off it. Now its four years later and its too little too late

Thirstycow

I think that the reviews are written by people who have very high standards also, so they aren't really reliable for us everyday gamers...

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
My stance on piracy: buy your top 3 games over the year for handhelds and do whatever to the rest (God of War: COO, assassin's creed, daxter are mine for the year)

Vee

Why dont developers release "demos" that are restricted by time and not the amount of levels.

For instance, the Skate demos are limited to 30 minutes. Do as much as you can. Where as the Killzone demo was half a level, finish it and its done.

Thats way, you get to play enough of a game to base a decision on it. When i got that oppertunity with Skate, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword, i then went onto buy the games.

Just an idea.

I have to say that anybody who honestly believes that it's ok to pirate something because they, individually, are not harming the business have completely deluded themselves. Individuals are not important, the problem is that many people are doing it! When so many people do it then everything suffers.

The game is pirated by the fans. The company makes less money. The company can't afford to make a sequel. The fans are dissapointed and desperately try to find out why another one isn't being made. They fail to realise that the mess is caused by their selfishness. They continue to pirate. The cycle continues.

Piracy is stealing, it doesn't matter if you can't afford the real thing. It doesn't matter if you're just checking the album. It's illegal. It belongs to somebody else, at no point should you assume that you have a right to it!

dudericious

I'm so sick and tired of reading the word piracy.
How sanctimonious are you people?
You basically make it a hobby to break DRM which is just as bad as piracy.
And then you type things like filthy pirates.

If people buy a PSP ...
Then only run Homebrew on it ...
It still kills Sony's business model.
It's just as bad as stealing the PSPs off of the shelf.

hacker == pirate

Joasis

I'm so sick and tired of reading the word piracy.
How sanctimonious are you people?
You basically make it a hobby to break DRM which is just as bad as piracy.
And then you type things like filthy pirates.

If people buy a PSP ...

hacker == pirate

No it's not the same. It is possible to enjoy homebrew applications like pspradio and irshell etc and still buy psp games. The developers deserve to have their games bought. Enabling homebrew is nothing like stealing PSPs off the shelf.

Tampo

If people buy a PSP ...

hacker == pirate

Come on you cant really believe that! Sony can have there "business model", it dose not mean that they can control how you use their product. The PSP is a piece of hardware that the user/owner should be able to do with as they please.

There is a big difference buddy, Copying/downloading games that you do not own is very different this is like "stealing the PSPs off of the shelf" and would kill Sony's "business model"

This is off topic any way and should be talked about on the piracy thread.

Good work team keep it up, there's no rush when you done your done.