• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Piracy

xist

Anyone sensible? I import games when they're not available in my country, to me that's sensible. I paid the equivalent of about $144 (USD) when Final Fantasy Tactics was released on the Playstation since it never got a PAL release and i needed to import it. There's no excuse for piracy in shops not having games when it's so easy to import using the internet. Anyone sensible would understand that!

rileysnotz

i've already mentioned its not possible for me to buy it from psn, it asks for a billing address and India is not listed in it, not just in psn , i am not able download e books from sony's website because again it needs valid billing address in which my country is not listed,,,,,,,, i have no reason to lie, i earn well, i am an architect and i since i am very choosy which games i play, i dont usually all games hence i can afford to purchase them provided they are avaliable to me,,,,,,,,

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM EST ----------

ferris thank you for understanding, most people think evrybody lies just because they do it. All total hypocrites.

Dude I'm from India too. I agree that it is very very difficult to get the game that you want in this country (Hell sony officially released the PS2 in India when the PS3 was launched worldwide :laugh: ). But is it really necessary to engage in piracy? Not really. If you can not have something it doesn't mean you steal it. I'm very choosy about the games I play too but then I'll just have to drool till it's available here or like Xist pointed out the internet is a wonderful place.

silkthreads

alredy mentioned it

xist please read everything i have written so far, it's not sensible to import all unavaliable games, its sheer stupidity,,,,,,, its like getting cheated, like i mentioned i'd rather cheat than get cheated and how many games can i go on getting cheated for ????????
and did i mention i also imported my sony ebook reader and paid nearly double for it, its worth every penny though, if sony wants to avoid piracy then they to make sure averybody gets it, i dont get why you fight for companies that dont give a shit. and ril3y you can sit and drool at stuff in this world while the rest of the world moves on, you'll never get any where like that, sorry i think its sad ............

Technically i am not stealing anything, like you said the internet is a wonderful place its out there for me to take what i want, its not like am going stealthily and stealing from someone else, somebody puts it up for sharing and i take it, dont ever tell me you've never borrowed a book, movie, songs or any games from any of your friends????????? Are you worried that you're pirating then i guess no simply because you are taking it from a friend, the loss still takes place for the maker, funny how that becomes sharing and if you take it from someone you dont know personally it becomes piracy.

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM EST ----------

xist and ril3y are you guys seriously telling me that you dont own even one illegal copy of any software running on your systems right now, i bet that at least there will be one program running that's pirated, dont deny it, and again dont tell me that doesnt effect the makers, may be does/doesnt but we are talking about piracy, if one is wrong they'r all wrong, no matter who makes the losses,

like i said you'r all bunch of hypocrites. :angry::angry::angry:

xist

You think i enjoy paying three times the price of a game to import it? No i import it because i want to play the game. If i wasn't prepared to i'd either never have bought the system in the first place or simply not play the game until it became available. You can't justify piracy just because you don't want to pay more to get a game, and until you can come to terms with exactly what you're entitled to you'll receive little sympathy.

No one's whiter than white, but until you admit to yourself that it's not justified or right you're kidding yourself into believing Sony is in the wrong and not you. I'm not trying to justify piracy but you are....

silkthreads

rill3y heck, am sure you would not have bought all your text books while studing for exams , you most probably would have borrowed them friends and seniors, well i think that is also a kind of piracy, because if you dont buy the publishers make a loss on you, and since its you have a need and still dont buy can i consider it stealing information a publisher, i cant,,,,,, the only time we all buy books is only in school.... and dont tell me you use college library since most dont use it,,,, this is thinking you are a clg student.

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 AM EST ----------

look dude you can order one or two games not all, thats when i feel cheated upon, and let me tell you when i buy these games in my country i am still paying more for them beacuse of my country taxes, no problem thats what i am entitled to , out there patapon 1 is like 17.50$ or so on amazon and its more than 25$ here, so per game if i more the total for all games will sum to more. That is still fine, ....

But i am not ok getting cheated, you go and buy one game not all that's where it makes a hell of difference,,,,,, like i said sony doesnt give a shit , if they did i would not be having this discussion, and the only reason i am writing is that if some sony personal is monitoring [which i think they have people to monitor such sites] they would do something about it,,,,,,,

xist

Bah, you're deluding yourself into thinking that you're in the right. If you really are an "architect" (a well paid job) then $8 here or there would mean very little if you really wanted to play the games.

silkthreads

bursts out laughing lolz,,,, seriously dude, am not deluding my self its you guys actually, you're ready to get ripped off by companies, if i overcharge unduly for my designs nobody will give me a shit, everything has a value in this world, and yes 8 $ doesnt make much difference but when i buy around 25 games that would be what 200$ more,,,,, and i said that's not the issue here, the problem is unavaliablity.

xist

You're right of course....the problem is your lack of internet access to import the games. Oh, wait.....Play-Asia and similar sites are amazing resources and until you realize that you're the one setting the price for what you feel is fair and that it's not a basis to justify piracy then this'll go no further. Europeans have been ripped off for years with release dates and pricing....import or don't expect to play the games. It's certainly no-one's right to have loads of games.

silkthreads

lolz, dude am not the one setting the prices its the developers who set the price there is nothing about fair and unfair here and i dont need to pay a single penny extra cause the price set is by the developer they know its worth, if people like you are willing to pay more for something that's not worth the amount that's your affair not mine, but i think you simply dont have a right to tell me to pay more for something that is avaliable for less...., i know play-asia, its worse buying it there, they charge a lot more, a third person makes a profit, its neither the buyer nor the seller, its someone else. And i recentlly shipped a game for my nitendo wii form a uk seller and guess what the cd was crushed and i didnt have any insurence on it, so it was a total waste of money, and to send it back would only cost me more,,,,,,,, irony of shipping things home

---------- Post added at 04:36 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 AM EST ----------

sorry to say, you dont seem to be very intelligent, you're ready to get ripped off and willing to pay a middle person for what shipping a game to you????????? lolz lolz lolz

---------- Post added at 04:39 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM EST ----------

If Europeans are being ripped off for years than they should do something about it, and not just sit and accept it...... by the way i dont really need to justify to anyone cause it doesnt make a diff to me what others feel, cause thats not going to get me anything,

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 AM EST ----------

talking about prices, back here we have something called as mrp's thats short for maximum retail price, if single product has a mrp sticker on it, if anybody charges moer than that, we can take them to consumer court, even the psp that i bought has a mrp, but still i according to you i should pay more for games, you see the logic is actaully flawed,,,,,,

rileysnotz

rill3y heck, am sure you would not have bought all your text books while studing for exams , you most probably would have borrowed them friends and seniors, well i think that is also a kind of piracy, because if you dont buy the publishers make a loss on you, and since its you have a need and still dont buy can i consider it stealing information a publisher, i cant,,,,,, the only time we all buy books is only in school.... and dont tell me you use college library since most dont use it,,,, this is thinking you are a clg student.

If Europeans are being ripped off for years than they should do something about it, and not just sit and accept it...... by the way i dont really need to justify to anyone cause it doesnt make a diff to me what others feel, cause thats not going to get me anything

Sorry to burst your bubble but no I did not borrow books in school or college! Didn't need to :p
I've been working for 10 years now and no one knows better how much it hurts to pay exorbitant amounts for a damn game. As for your argument YOU KNEW when you were buying the system that its hard as hell here to find games and so on. YOU KNEW games would be expensive. You had a choice. You made the choice. And if Europeans are getting ripped off, so is everyone else but that still doesn't justify PIRACY. If everyone wants to make a difference piracy isn't the answer. DON'T BUY THE GAME! DON'T BUY THE SYSTEM! DON'T USE IT IF YOU THINK IT'S UNFAIR. If you lived for so long without it you don't really need it! :D

Robby

Los Doyers!
I download PSP games and Xbox360 games. I only bought maybe 2 or 3 PSP games but I bought about 80% of my Xbox360 games.

I know its bad to pirate games and all, but I still do it.

silkthreads

alright

alright i dont have a console and i am not buying games sounds good to you,,,,,,, so technically no company is making any profit, and it still remains the same if i go ahead and pirate because i wasnt going to buy th game and i dont have the console, anyways i see not buying or pirating a game makes a loss for dev and companies :p

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM EST ----------

where am i making any difference, i was not going to buy the games anyways,,,,,

rileysnotz

alright i dont have a console and i am not buying games sounds good to you,,,,,,, so technically no company is making any profit, and it still remains the same if i go ahead and pirate because i wasnt going to buy th game and i dont have the console, anyways i see not buying or pirating a game makes a loss for dev and companies :p

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM EST ----------

I'm no saint :p. The point is Piracy IS Wrong! The question is not whether you pirate or not. It's 'you shouldn't'. And you are making a difference when out of 10 people 2 people buy the game and the rest pirate! As an individual, you may think it doesn't matter, but there's still a shitload of other people who pirate and you add to them! Now think of the losses! Thats scary! :scared: And while I believe that you pirate because you cannot find the game here or it is too expensive or whatever there's still those "other" pirates who do it simply because they can. And it's still Wrong :D

Adiuvo

If you weren't going to, then why do you even want the games, or deserve them?

Robby

Los Doyers!
Maybe he was bored and needed something to play with for a while.

I pirate some xbox360 games, but lately not so much as there arent any games that interest me. I got burnout paradise, but I only play it for maybe 20-30mins every couple of days.

Adiuvo

That's the thing, pirating a game makes it not really have much value anymore. Paradise is a pretty good game, and if you bought it you probably would be playing it a lot more.

Robby

Los Doyers!
No not really, games I buy have no more value then games I pirate.
In the end, its still a game.

LocutusEstBorg

Most people where I'm from own a console solely for the reason that the games are "free". Theres no friggin way in hell that with our salary structure that anyone can afford to blow thousands on a single game. You can rent a one bedroom place for a month for the price of 2 games.

Its really a non-debatable issue in my case. Original games, or any software for that matter, is exclusively for the uber uber elite people. As for the rest of us they should be thankful that we invested in the console. The probably make a profit on the console sale here unlike in other countries because it costs twice as much here.