• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Piracy

If it costs so much more there then it's either costing them more to get it into the country or the government will be enforcing some form of tax on it. Especially in the case of the PS3 they won't be making much profit (if any).

Bill

I asked myself a question...
Why do I pirate?

The answer?
I'm lazy.

Justification? Not at all.
But to tell the truth, I really don't give a shit about your silly justification.
I smoke cigarettes; those are bad for me. Why do I smoke them? They taste good and make me feel good. Is that justification? No. ;)

Pspunk

Star power and butt plugs
I pirate because its easier than going to the store, and I don't like spending my money on things that I can get for free.

Dan

Contributor
I pirate because its easier than going to the store, and I don't like spending my money on things that I can get for free.

Same here. Why can't i download something which i probably wouldn't buy in the first place? Companies won't loose anything.

Colm

the thing is this, without the means to pirate, you probably WOULD consider buying something. So the existance of piracy tools means they've already lost.
Here's a quick example, my cousin buys music CDs, but she'd stop if she had broadband internet.

If piracy wasn't so easy, if we didn't have RS, BitTorrent etc., then the things that you say you wouldn't buy anyway, you actually might have.

Dan

Contributor
I mean expensive programmes like photoshop, when i could just be easier off using something like GIMP. I don't NEED photoshop, but the free option is there, so why not?

EDIT: I buy all of my music anyway :)

silkthreads

Same here. Why can't i download something which i probably wouldn't buy in the first place? Companies won't loose anything

that's exactly what i've been saying,,,,,,,,:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Moose

Meta Moose
Same here. Why can't i download something which i probably wouldn't buy in the first place? Companies won't loose anything

that's exactly what i've been saying,,,,,,,,:w00t::w00t::w00t:

What? You are downloading something rather than buying it, which means they lose a sale. Of course they lose money.

I don't think that you can genuinely say that you wouldn't have bought it as you have no proof of it.

Ultimately piracy affects everyone through market devaluation. It may only be a minuscule amount but when it's done many times that is quite a large amount of profit lost for the companies.

And saying "I pirate because I don't like spending my money on things that I can get for free" is a bold claim. I can get anything for free, doesn't make it right.

robertfisk

Musicmaker
ooooo .. the big piracy thread :)

My 2 cents :

Lets say you wake up 5 years from now with a rightwinged\leftwinged,controlling government who suddenly claim that everyone have to install a little electronic device at home . They claim it helps the climate ,but what it really does is to monitor your every step at home to keep an eye on everyone

yellowdrops

I Think that every software should have a version for domestic use (not the 30 days long trial version, but a domestic version, with less features, like Sony's Soundfoge, that have a trial that never expires, but you can only edit 2 minutes or something. Or some software like Finale [a partiture editor] where you can only select 3 or 4 instruments...) which you can download from the devs website and register need to use, so you give feedback in return of the "free use". The same for games... They should use demo versions of the games, without expire, like GOW, where you can download and play half of 1 stage...

If you RLY like it, save some bucks and buy it since it gives you real fun time or are rly useful in your job/hobby...

Full versions would be bought by enterprises who rly need fully softs, professionals who need then too and, in the case of the games, who rly like it.

When talking about songs, I think the artists are not damaged by the downloads as long as they get their money (big deal) from shows and publicity... Radiohead is an example... Have a successful tour with a downloadable album.

In other material's case, like books, magazines and stuff, they have their public... I don't think that an addict to books of Douglas Adams would be satisfied with a digital copy... I'm not...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That is no surprise eldiablov... Sims is one of the most popular franchises on the market after WoW, and since the pirated version came out before retail, it's only natural... A little like RB: Unplugged. The more popular, the highly pirated you will be.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
What? You are downloading something rather than buying it, which means they lose a sale. Of course they lose money.

I don't think that you can genuinely say that you wouldn't have bought it as you have no proof of it.

Ultimately piracy affects everyone through market devaluation. It may only be a minuscule amount but when it's done many times that is quite a large amount of profit lost for the companies.

And saying "I pirate because I don't like spending my money on things that I can get for free" is a bold claim. I can get anything for free, doesn't make it right.

This assumes the flawed premise that every pirated download is a lost sale. It isn't. Do you think all the thirteen-year-old kids who pirate Photoshop were really ever going to buy it in the first place? Would you even want to play certain games if you couldn't get them free? I'm not saying tat piracy is justifiable, but it doesn't necessarily mean lost sales.

And with things like P2P technology, individuals are choosing to share their purchased product with others, just as you might share something physical with a friend. I know the law doesn't allow it, but the concept is better than necessarily just stealing something. Another person is choosing to give you that file.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That flawed premise might apply to professional software but when it comes to gaming it's a whole different story.

I can tell you with 99,5% certainty that if a kid didn't know he could get a certain game pirated, he would have to buy it at least to try it - he could second-hand sell it after, doesn't matter - so yes a downloaded game is a lost sale.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
That flawed premise might apply to professional software but when it comes to gaming it's a whole different story.

I can tell you with 99,5% certainty that if a kid didn't know he could get a certain game pirated, he would have to buy it at least to try it - he could second-hand sell it after, doesn't matter - so yes a downloaded game is a lost sale.

No it isn't. For example, I don't play games at all, but I pirated Left 4 Dead because everyone said it was so good. If it wasn't free, I wouldn't have gone out and bought it. A lost sale? Nope.

And the people who pirate games DO know that things can be pirated, so who knows if they would be willing to pay for a game anyway? I don't think you can say with any amount of certainty that they would have spent the money to go out and buy the game. In fact, I would lean towards the other assumption, that they wouldn't.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I used pirate stuff too but I always buy a game when it is good but I haven't pirated anything in years curiously - due to the decline in quality of games I'd say (only platform I don't pirate is the PSP - and I actually buy my games - only one I own besides the PC).

Just because you wouldn't, don't assume other wouldn't also. My idea was an hypothesis and just that. Each individual has his own mind and conscience and you can never generalize when it comes to piracy, no matter how good your arguments might be.

I said 99.5% but I was talking out of the side of my arse. Obviously you cannot tell what other people will/won't do...

Robby

Los Doyers!
I used pirate stuff too but I always buy a game when it is good but I haven't pirated anything in years curiously - due to the decline in quality of games I'd say (only platform I don't pirate is the PSP - and I actually buy my games - only one I own besides the PC).

Just because you wouldn't, don't assume other wouldn't also. My idea was an hypothesis and just that. Each individual has his own mind and conscience and you can never generalize when it comes to piracy, no matter how good your arguments might be.

I said 99.5% but I was talking out of the side of my arse. Obviously you cannot tell what other people will/won't do...
So you can't say that people will buy the game in the first place.
Each individual has his own mind, so maybe they were or weren't going to buy the game.

So only if you were going to buy the game in the first place, then it would be a lost sale.

But by saying that you have to agree that it can mean a loss of sales as people may act differently if they didn't know they could pirate.