• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Play Backups off External HD

eighty4

16fb418c290a02b4a09d68f947767835.png

[FIELDSET="Why this?"]I choose this method to play backups over my Wii for ease of use. I have a small 250GB WD MyPassport. Most of the smaller sized externals power by USB, so it makes things organized, uncluttered, and keeps it nice and fit for when I want to unplug it to add a new game on to my external. This methods also means I paid 60 bucks for a drive, instead of 10 bucks for 5 discs that I will end up losing or end up misplacing anyways.[/FIELDSET]

Materials:

• Nintendo Wii
  • External HardDrive
  • SD Card
  • Homebrew Enabled Wii (if not, you can follow this guide)
  • Basic Knowledge
  • WiFi (maybe)

Guide:

1) Plug your external into your computer.
2) Depending on the size of the drive, you will want to partition it and make it for Wii games. I have mine set to 50GB with 12 games and about 17GB left.
3) You will need to get WBFS Manager and open it.
4) Once you see the drive detected in Windows, make sure it's the correct one. WBFS manager will show a drop down for you to choose, choose the drive you set for Wii games and hit "Format". You now have a WBFS formatted partition on your external. Note: You will not be able to access this in any OS, unless you are in a WBFS Manager.
5) Plug in your SD card.
6) In this guide, we will use USB Loader GX. It looks nicer, and comes with a forwarder (has a Wii channel). Download it here.
7) Now, run the installer and choose the option "USB Loader GX Channel" and "Cheats" if you want to use cheats and/or game mods. It's recommended.
8) Here is where you need to make sure your SD card is displayed and says, for example, X:/apps/
9) That will finish installing on your SD card, and make USB Loader GX bootable.
10) Now install the USB Loader GX-UNEO Forwarder.wad with Wad Manager in HBC, which you should already have installed.
11) Now you *have the ability* to boot games by USB

Now that's that done, let's show how to get games on that WBFS partition you have, k?

1) Download an .iso or a .ciso. .ciso Stands for compressed ISO. It is have the size, but if you add an .iso to a Wii, on the Wii it will be the same size as the .ciso. The only thing a .ciso has is a lesser size WHEN DOWNLOADED.
2) Get this.
3) You will notice the drop down on the right where you can find your WBFS drive, then refresh the list.
4) It might be in Spanish, but the top on the left says "Explore Archives", and you will find your .ciso or .iso in explorer.
5) Simply hit the >> button to put it on the drive, and now you can run it in USB Loader!

Mac:

Everything else here requires Windows, here you can use a Mac to add games.

1) Get this.
2) Pretty straight forward there. Be noted, that you can NOT add .cisos in the Mac WBFS Manager. Again, no .cisos, only .iso.

So now you have that, but who really wants to boot that up, find the game and do all that hoopla? Let me show you how to make game channels out of them.

1) Get any one of these downloads. Note: The most recent does not work for me, I used to second to most recent.
2) Click "Find in WBFS" or the like, and then find the game on your drive.
3) Hit Run!
4) Now find your .wad wherever you chose to output it, and put it on your SD card in /wad
5) Install it with WAD Manager and restart your Wii.
6) Take a bow.

Also, please, for the love of God, do not AIM me asking me a question about this when the answer is in this thread. I will honestly find you and rip you liver out and then feed it to your mother.

m3xic4ndiy3i

WBFS Manager is good ...but wbfs backup manager visually is more simple but is many times more stable to work on your wii isos.......
one more recomendation......NTFS with a wbfs folder inside is the best option to save isos for use with USB loaders......u can defragment ur isos from time on time......in WBFS partition thats imposible and after a time the load of games is fullfiled with errors......

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
WBFS Manager is good ...but wbfs backup manager visually is more simple but is many times more stable to work on your wii isos.......
one more recomendation......NTFS with a wbfs folder inside is the best option to save isos for use with USB loaders......u can defragment ur isos from time on time......in WBFS partition thats imposible and after a time the load of games is fullfiled with errors......

Old thread is old.
Also, banned eighty4 is banned.