• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Port Forwarding on a Netgear DG834GT

Moose

Meta Moose
Hey,

I'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to port forward using my router. I know I'm doing it correctly because I have read what must be over 10 guides now (in fact, I did it first without a guide which was correct anyway). However, whenever I attempt to check the port on canyouseeme.org, it either says "connection refused" or "connection timed out".

I've even tried enabling my routers DMZ, which should work for sure... but doesn't. I've also allowed the ports in Windows Firewall.

Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong or have any advice? I realise my post is quite vague but there isn't much information I can give, I'm just trying to do a simple port forward.

Thanks.

EDIT: I don't think it makes a difference, but I'm using a VPN. I've tried all of the above without being connected to the VPN also.

LocutusEstBorg

Give your PC a static LAN IP outside the router's DHCP address pool. You must have a static LAN IP for port forwards. For testing, configure DMZ for that address. Disable all firewalls and antivirus; Windows, Kaspersky, whatever. Test it without the VPN.

On a VPN by default it uses the remote gateway on the VPN which means any online port scans will scan the VPN gateway not your local one.

Port forwards will override DMZ, so delete all the forwards for now. Also disable any port scan/DOS protection on the router.

What server are you running to test the port?

Moose

Meta Moose
Forgot to mention I have a static LAN IP. I think you were right though with the VPN being scanned and not my local ports. I tried portforward.com's port checker software tool and it reports all ports that I want open to be open, so problem fixed!

Thanks very much, Torch. =)

LocutusEstBorg

Unless you disable the use of the remote gateway on the VPN, your servers will not be able to reply. They also may not be able to reply if the VPN and local subnets overlap since there will be a routing table entry in Windows directing all the VPN subnet traffic to the VPN interface.