• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Possible Upgrade Path for PC Graphics?

Hey guys, I'm looking at possibly updating the graphics card in my PC. I'm looking for something that will show notable improvements over my current model.

I'm tossing up between something like the 5850 (6850 at a stretch) or the GTX 460, going for $250 & $185 AUD respectively. What I'd like to know is how do these cards fare against my current, a 9800GTX+ (also re-branded as the 250 GTS).

I'm also concerned about how these parts will bode with my current components, I have a cheap 550 watt PSU that came with the case, will I have to update this as well to use these cards? A review taken from a magazine states that the 460 peaks at 295W, the 5850 at 284W and the 6850 at 248W. Is there a tool I can use to benchmark my own PSU and it's components?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
550w should be big enough to accommodate the GTX 460. You won't be able to determine the power usage of your computer unless you plug a device (forgot what it is called - wattage meter?) in between your computer and the wall outlet to determine how much it's using (remember, uses more while under load).

I would recommend the GTX 460, it's great bang for buck. If you can, try to get a 1gb factory overclocked one

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Check the amperage rating of your PSU and make sure it meets the recommended GTX460 specs. As for wattage, a general rule of thumb is to factor in 100w for overhead, since PSUs wear out over time. I'd say you're fine as long as the amperage requirement is met.

Adiuvo

Even if your PSU is 'strong' enough to run a 460 or equivalent, depending on the brand you should still buy another one. PSUs are the one part of a computer you should never skimp money on because if it dies a cheap one can take the whole computer with it.

Also, are you planning on keeping your 9800GTX as a dedicated PhysX card? If you are your current PSU definitely won't be enough.

No, my Mobo doesen't have enough slots for that for sure :p.

I was eyeing the 6850, but seeing as it's rated to compete with the 5830, decided against it seeing as the 460s cheaper.

The PSU's rather healthy in the amperage department; can't remember the exact numbers but it was higher than what I needed at the time. Reading around, the 460 needs two 6-pin connectors, and some have suggested using a Molex adapter. Your suggestions?