• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Post your 3DMark scores

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Just tried and got 9282 in 3Dmark06
Rather surprising, guessing it's my my CPU since looking up other 4850 users, there's results out there for 12k+

Well, not really.

3DMark06 heavily weighs the video card. Your processor really doesn't factor into it as much.

The way you calculate your 3DMark06 score is by adding up your SM and your HDR scores and dividing by 2. This is your GS score.

You get your CPU score by adding the two frame rates of your CPU tests, square rooting that and multiplying it by 250.

After this, you can calculate your 3DMark score using this equation

3DMark Score = 2.5 x {1/[[(1.7/GS) + (.3/CPU Score)]/2]}

As you see, the CPU is a much smaller weight than the video card score. Although your CPU may assist or decrease your score, it won't affect it dramatically. It's only 3/20 of the overall score.

The only way that it can is if it sucks so much that the frame rates start to decrease dramatically because of it. Other than that, it's not a huge issue.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Well, not really.

3DMark06 heavily weighs the video card. Your processor really doesn't factor into it as much.

The way you calculate your 3DMark06 score is by adding up your SM and your HDR scores and dividing by 2. This is your GS score.

You get your CPU score by adding the two frame rates of your CPU tests, square rooting that and multiplying it by 250.

After this, you can calculate your 3DMark score using this equation

3DMark Score = 2.5 x {1/[[(1.7/GS) + (.3/CPU Score)]/2]}

As you see, the CPU is a much smaller weight than the video card score. Although your CPU may assist or decrease your score, it won't affect it dramatically. It's only 3/20 of the overall score.

The only way that it can is if it sucks so much that the frame rates start to decrease dramatically because of it. Other than that, it's not a huge issue.

/me facepalms

As I said, there's people out there with the exact same graphics card that have 12k+ which makes me think that it is my CPU being the bottleneck. I guess my CPU really does suck D:

inb4 well, it's AMD, hurrdurr

-chw42-

Like a Boss
* MenaceInc;102183 facepalms

As I said, there's people out there with the exact same graphics card that have 12k+ which makes me think that it is my CPU being the bottleneck. I guess my CPU really does suck D:

There's always the option of overclocking. If you overclock it to about 3 GHz, the bottleneck may start disappearing. After all, it's still a Dual Core and it's also a black edition, so you can raise the multiplier.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
There's always the option of overclocking. If you overclock it to about 3 GHz, the bottleneck may start disappearing.

Already tried in the past but I get capacitor squeal from the motherboard so that's not really useful although I could potentially get the chip up to 3.5GHz but that's a bestcase scenario with a AMD 790GX chipset while my motherboard has a 760G chipset. Should look at getting a new motherboard I guess.

Or an even better idea, saving up and building an i7 rig xD Especially as then I'd have SSSE3 and SSE4 extensions making PS2 emulation useful.

---------- Post added 12-25-2009 at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-24-2009 at 03:58 PM ----------

Alright, so got a good overclock going and tried 3Dmark 06 with my 4850 underclocked to 500/993 and I got a score of 9870 (It was clocked at 625/993 when I got 9282).

My setup before the OC

I would of tried to push the memory more but when I up the voltage for the RAM at all, I start getting capacitor squeal. Also, I think I got a bad 7750 BE compared to others since I can't seem to get it to run stable above 3.1GHz while others seem to be getting 3.6GHz out there. Maybe it's related to my chipset too (although I was able to get a 285Mhz system bus outta the motherboard o.0)

Gunna try and push my GPU and see how far it goes. Raw CPU performance seems to have gotten a 17% boost so far though.

Alright, 3DMark06 is, 13979. Round about where I should be for a 9800. Seems moreso CPU-Reliant than expected, seeing as dropping the CPU clock to 3.00 GHz (From 3.4GHz), I lose about 500 points. I may experiment with GPU clocks a little later on, see the impact of that.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
* MenaceInc;102183 facepalms

Did this experiment myself.

I got a quad the other day, and the 3DMark scores were much higher pretty much everywhere, and I'm running a 9800 GTX+ GPU.

EDIT: I had maybe a score of 7000 with a dual core pentium. When I upgraded it, I got this (Score of 12514).

Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 gh/s no OC
3GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked

Hardrive

Contributor
The 3DMark06 scores are VERY CPU dependent. Going from 3.2 ghz to 3.6 ghz on my Q6600 raised my score about 3000 points.

NGP2

I would be ashamed of posting mine since they are really low, mostly because the only PC games I play are old Command & Conquer games :)

El Diablo

I got a 13490 with my new 6950 in 3DMark06 but I feel like that's low and my CPU is killing me and my bottleneck. I lag in CSS sometimes with this card which is just stupid and my CPU blew in this. My FPS on the graphics stuff was fine but on the 2 CPU tests...
CPU1 - Red Valley
1.15 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley
1.66 FPS
Fail.

Going to run 3DMark11 and see how that one goes.

NGP2

I don't even come close to that, I got a 473 with an old NVidia, it's time to upgrade my PC :)

El Diablo

I got a 3600 something in 3DMark 11 >.>.

El Diablo

I have a Phenom 9850 Black Edition.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Maybe it's time to upgrade the CPU/Mobo, or just stick with it I guess.

Have you overclocked your 6950? that could help

my brother's Athlon II X2 240 + GTS 450 gets a slightly better score than that.(Like 15k I think)

does your motherboard support pcie2.0?

El Diablo

So, got my new processor and motherboard set up. Got a 4732 on 3dmark 11 and a 22240 on 3dmark 06. Much better than my old scores. Loving my new set up.

Trigun

Nice, Still running an AMD and a 6950?

I think i've also discovered that the HyperTransport Speed on AMD boards affects overall system performance considering it's the equivalent of QPI/FSB.
I didn't realize this when I built my brother's AM3 Athlon II X2 PC.

I bought a cheap Foxconn Mobo that only had 1000mt/s HTransport speed.

And It has to do something with it because it has been upgraded since (the GPU) to a GTS 450 which only gets 15k 3DM06. When it should very much get more than that.
I got that much with an archaic 8800GTS 640 on my PC (used it from his PC after I put in the 450)

I don't know this for certain, but shouldn't a 6950 outperform a GTX 460?
Because I get 23676 in 06

El Diablo

It says on the site that with my specs it expects me to be around 23000-24000. I ran the test while I was torrenting and running a lot of other programs so that might have affected it, and I was using old drivers. Not sure if my stuff just isn't running well, or if I have to run it again under better conditions. Either way it's a significant jump from my old stuff so I can't complain. Also I haven't started to OC my processor yet so that could be why my scores are a little lower than others who have.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Yes, a 6950 should be out performing a 460, but I think your processor might be what's boosting your overall score to higher than mine. Mine is still stock at 3.30ghz and you have yours OC'd to almost 4 so I think that's what's putting you ahead.

Reran both just now without a bunch of crap open and got 23243 and 4824. in 3dmark 11 it looks like my physics score is what's holding me back. It's almost 1000 below what the PC health check thing says my score should be. In 3dmark 06 my CPU score is below the target too at 6000 vs 6400. Not sure if my CPU is necessarily under performing, but I think more that the majority of people with results on there are OCing so it puts the average and target a little higher than normal. Either way eventually down the line I will start looking into OCing and I think everything will even out then. I can't complain, it's a huge increase to what I had before heh.

Trigun

Ah, that could make sense I suppose!

I'm really just going on Reviews and benchmarks i've seen of it and stuff so *shrug*

And yeah, my CPU is actually OC'd from 3.0ghz to 4.18ghz now (stable too :p), so I suppose that could be an influencing factor.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
3DMark06 is very CPU limited on current cards, just upping the CPU clock by 100 MHZ can raise your score a few hundred points if not more.