• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Post your Specs

explosions

And don't try to call me ignorant about technology, because that's a losing argument. As you can see by my specs I'm no amateur.

Don't look now, but your e-peen is showing.

ilyace

And don't try to call me ignorant about technology, because that's a losing argument. As you can see by my specs I'm no amateur.

The only thing that shows is that you have a credit card and access to the internet or someone who can tell you what components to buy.

LocutusEstBorg

Finally got my Sapphire 5850 today! Managed to OC to 925/1200 at stock volts, rock solid stable for a couple of hours in Furmark. Overvolting is only giving it another 10MHz of stability, so decided to settle for lower temps as its already running at 85C under load.

I've changed my GPU purchasing policy. Instead of buying high end every 2 years, I'm just gonna get whatever is sufficient to run most games at 60+ FPS. Then the moment it even remotely starts showing its age, get rid of it and buy the next one so I'll have an average 60 FPS for the rest of my life.

Unlike before when I got a 7800GTX 512 it was awesome for a year and once it was old I couldn't afford to upgrade for the next 2 years cos I broke my bank on it. Almost every game after that would barely give 30 FPS on it. Then I made the same mistake again and got a 9800GX2 when it was the fastest. Not to mention the additional SLi headaches. Could have gone through 4 or 5 midrange cards over the same period for the same total cost and had a consistent 60FPS instead of 200FPS at first and then 30FPS for 2 years.

Blackout

Then I made the same mistake again and got a 9800GX2 when it was the fastest.

At the time, you could have bought a GTX 260/280 for the same price as that GX2. Should keep up with nvidia's track record of GX2 cards, they're full of fail. Only card that somewhat keeups up to par on Quad-SLI is the 295, but even then it's worth an arm and a leg.

Anyways:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.4GHz 12MB Cache
Crucial BallistiX Tracer 2GB 850MHz @ 4-4-4-12-1T
Western Digital Black 500GB @ 72,000 RPM
2x nVidia GeForce GTX 275 896MB
Samsung 226BW 22'' Widescreen
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Logitech z-5500 Digital 5.1 THX Surround Sound
Razer Lycosa
Razer Copperhead
Razer eXact Mat Speed/Control Surface
Windows Seven Ultimate 32 Bit Edition
nVidia 750i SLI FTW Edition
X-Clio Wind Tunnel

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Finally got my Sapphire 5850 today! Managed to OC to 925/1200 at stock volts, rock solid stable for a couple of hours in Furmark. Overvolting is only giving it another 10MHz of stability, so decided to settle for lower temps as its already running at 85C under load.

I've changed my GPU purchasing policy. Instead of buying high end every 2 years, I'm just gonna get whatever is sufficient to run most games at 60+ FPS. Then the moment it even remotely starts showing its age, get rid of it and buy the next one so I'll have an average 60 FPS for the rest of my life.

Unlike before when I got a 7800GTX 512 it was awesome for a year and once it was old I couldn't afford to upgrade for the next 2 years cos I broke my bank on it. Almost every game after that would barely give 30 FPS on it. Then I made the same mistake again and got a 9800GX2 when it was the fastest. Not to mention the additional SLi headaches. Could have gone through 4 or 5 midrange cards over the same period for the same total cost and had a consistent 60FPS instead of 200FPS at first and then 30FPS for 2 years.

Nice, congrats on the purchase :) The 5850 is a great card. I had a 5870 before but sold it to step up to a 5970, mainly because of the massive res I run at. Game requirements don't seem to be going up too much these days so I have a feeling these cards will run everything at 60FPS for a good while (barring the odd CPU limited game).

Seth

MD Party Room
Wow I thought that 9800GX2 would be fine for running most games at 60 fps.. Still on a old 4850 here, dont do much pc gaming now that I got some many other games to play on ps3 and 360. Well just l4d2 lol but I got a feeling that would run on near anything

Dan

Contributor
I still don't get why people need 30+ fps. Doesn't the human eye work at 25fps? And is there that much of a difference between 30 & 30+?

Don't say it has more fps...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I still don't get why people need 30+ fps. Doesn't the human eye work at 25fps? And is there that much of a difference between 30 & 30+?

Have you ever experience a game at 60 FPS ? It's a night and day difference, especially in games that require precise movements... e.g. any FPS. I can easily see the difference between 30 and 60, there is no comparison. It's above 60 where diminishing returns kick in.

Certainly any game is playable at a solid 30 but the gameplay experience is miles better at 60.

The human eye isn't a camera. It doesn't have 'frames per second' or refresh rates.

The only thing is more frames equal more smoother animation, but diminishes. For example, the difference between 20 and 30 is night and day, but 30 to 60 is a bit better. At 60, its completely smooth, but at 30 you have a bit of noticeable stutter. But you are correct, 30 fps is considered acceptable for many people.

Multilayer games require much faster fps however. CS:S and TF2 are examples. Once I had a stable 60, I could finally play scout well. I have a friend who plays CSS with a high-fps config despite having an 8800 Ultra just so he can have the +100 fps and the 100 tick update rate. Also, by having a high number, when things get messy on screen, your fps drops to something like 40, which still isn't bad. However, if you're at 30, you may drop into the 10s, which puts you at a disadvantage.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Newer specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 @ 3.25GHz
6GB DDR2 @ 420 MHz
HD 5770 1GB @ 950/1300 MHz
500GB Samsung F3, 250GB Western Digital

LocutusEstBorg

There is a massive difference between 30 and 60FPS. 60FPS is smooth as butter for most FPSes. However some games like CS1.6 are unplayable at anything below 100FPS. If you can play CS1.6 at less than 100FPS then you suck at the game. I remember having to upgrade to a Geforce4 because I needed 100FPS in CS.

A common misconception is that FPS determines smoothness. Smoothness is actually the rate at which light from the moving object falls on the cells in your retina. Reality runs at infinite FPS therefore a stream of light continuously updates the position of the object while the objects displacement causes the light to sweep across the cells. Once the speed crosses a certain amounts of cells/second it results in motion blur.

In a recording, the moving object should emit light frequently enough such that it doesn't skip cells as its sweeping across. The rate of updates (FPS) required for smoothness is thus COMPLETELY dependent on the speed of the object AND it's distance from your eye. In FPSes you move the mouse causing the camera to pan IN ADDITION to the movement of the object. Thus the relative speed of the object may be greatly increased (or decreased) requiring more FPS.

If you didn't move the mouse in an FPS, it would look very smooth even at 30 FPS, since its unlikely that objects would move so fast as to require more than 30 FPS (If they did the developers usually use fake motion blur so you don't see it lagging). But when moving the mouse you need FPS to compensate for relative increase in speed. If the game (and monitor Hz) ran at a high enough FPS, there would be no need for motion blur effects. You would automatically see REAL motion blur when fast objects moved on screen.

Colm

If you can play CS1.6 at less than 100FPS then you suck at the game.

I'm just curious. You had a GeForce 4 and you could play CS1.6 @ 100fps. Did your monitor refresh at rates high enough for this to be noticeable, or were you doing this for the same reason that some audiophiles use gold-plated cables?

LocutusEstBorg

I'm just curious. You had a GeForce 4 and you could play CS1.6 @ 100fps. Did your monitor refresh at rates high enough for this to be noticeable, or were you doing this for the same reason that some audiophiles use gold-plated cables?

Monitor did 85Hz. The game engine is such that its not proper unless it runs at 99.9/100 FPS. The slight jerkiness is evident at lower FPS.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
System Model HP G60 Notebook PC
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Turion Dual-Core RM-70, 2000 Mhz
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8200M
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.54, 8/18/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB

Slasher

Suck It
I picked up a new laptop today, and so far I'm really impressed with the performance. I've never been a huge PC gamer or anything, but this laptop has really surprised me. I can now play Left4Dead 2 on maxed out settings whereas my old laptop could hardly even run it on a bearable speed at low settings. I've also been testing some other games I have such as CS Source, TF2, Portal, Half-life Episode 1&2 etc, and I can run all of these on maxed out settings as well which is honestly something I've never been able to do...ever. I've never had a PC capable of running something even remotely graphically demanding on maxed out settings. I also downloaded a demo of Crysis as well that apparently isn't optimized and I can run it without a hitch on Medium settings :)

Here she is
Buy the Asus K52Jr-X4 Laptop Computer w/ Blu-Ray at TigerDirect.ca

Windows 7 64-bit (Legit!)
Intel Core i5 2.26ghz
4GB DDR3 ram
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1GB
Blu-ray player/DVDRW
320GB HDD

SeanyP

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core 2 quad CPU 2.40ghz
4GB DDR2 ram
Nvidia PNY GT220 GPU
500GB HDD
80GB HDD

I would have thought with a quad cpu and 4gb of ram it'd be good for gaming, but Im struggling at getting good performance at higher resolutions, a few games i have tried are just cause 2, fallout 3, borderlands and battlfield 2 bad company, is it just my graphics card that is dragging my pc down or is there anything else i need to upgrade? (payed about