• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Pre-orders Open for Windows 7

twelve

I'm not dead
I don't understand why people are saying they'll buy it once the RC ends. Once the RC ends it will cost MORE than if you preorder it and get it the day it comes out.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
In my case I have a student MSDN account (or what-it-is-called, can't remember), so I can get 7 for free after the RC ends.

Hellcat

Contributor
If they don't sell it on USB drives, one can easiely make an own Win7-Installation-USB-Drive out of a random USB drive and the original install DVD :)

Maybe I'll try it with the RC DVD already to have a guide ready when the final hits the streets :) - however, maybe I'll fail or not find the time :(

Cryox

Bro.

twelve

I'm not dead
That's around 80 dollars right? What happened to MS charging ~$200 for their OS's? Did they feel bad about Vista or what?
Preorder price for the US is $50. They've slashed the preorder price to be competitive to OSX Snow Leopard which is due around the same time.

Cryox

Bro.
Preorder price for the US is $50. They've slashed the preorder price to be competitive to OSX Snow Leopard which is due around the same time.

Okay. I will definitely look into getting this, the whole $200+ thing with Vista was ridiculous imo

Colm

[STRIKE]What's the price for Ultimate?[/STRIKE] (nvm, read article) And then, what's the difference in features between Ultimate and Professional?

Seth

MD Party Room
Not much but Ultimate does have support for BitLocker and 35 languages.

Bill

This is NOT pre-ordering retail Windows 7, just upgrades from XP/Vista. All versions will be supported by both upgrades. There is currently NO PRE-ORDER for a clean install of Windows 7. Anyone not currently using XP/Vista will not be able to use the Pre-order upgrades.

Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer

This is the reason the Pre-Order is only $50.

Bill

This is the real thing.

I don't mean it's not the real thing, just that it's upgrades only, which have always been cheaper than retail. Upgrades cost ~$120, rather than the $2XX prices for a retail copy.

Bill

You will get a disc that allows you to do a clean install if need be.

I've never used upgrades before, so I'll take your word for it. I would think that you wouldn't be able to use the disc other than for upgrading from a previous OS though. If this is the case, why sell retail versions of it?

Bill

Read the faq, it's upgrades. It also says to be eligible, you must be running a genuine copy of Windows XP/Vista.

Quotes from faq:
1. You can pre-order a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for ERP $49 or a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for ERP $99. The offer is available at participating retailers and through the Microsoft Store. Each participating retailer will tell you how to get your copy when Windows 7 is released. Retailer prices may vary.

2. To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

Vista:
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 - Windows
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade with Service Pack 1 - Windows