• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Pre-orders Open for Windows 7

twelve

I'm not dead
This is NOT pre-ordering retail Windows 7, just upgrades from XP/Vista. All versions will be supported by both upgrades. There is currently NO PRE-ORDER for a clean install of Windows 7. Anyone not currently using XP/Vista will not be able to use the Pre-order upgrades.

Windows: Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer

This is the reason the Pre-Order is only $50.
Except in Europe where they're not going to be doing upgrade discs at all.

eldiablov

Contributor
Well Microsoft have said it will support upgrading from RC.

And then in the exact same document said it will not support it. It was somewhat a mindfuck.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Microsoft can be like that sometimes... I guess we can only wait and see.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well Microsoft have said it will support upgrading from RC.

And then in the exact same document said it will not support it. It was somewhat a mindfuck.

Umm Windows 7 gold will require a "clean install" if you have Windows 7 RC1 installed.

Vee

I bought a laptop from Dell a week ago, the guy guarenteed me that when Windows 7 comes out, they would send me the disk free of charge. He told me its a policy that Dell have always had. I read an article a few days ago, saying that Europe wont be getting upgrades.

Does that mean that Dell wont be upgrading people who just bought a laptop with vista, to windows 7?

Anyone?

Seth

MD Party Room
What not talk to dell and ask them.

Bill

Dell probably has access to upgrades for the UK. They just won't sell them individualy.

Offtopic: Just installed the RC on a seperate harddrive, and there's no way I can fully love Vista ever again.

twelve

I'm not dead
Dell probably has access to upgrades for the UK. They just won't sell them individualy.
I highly doubt that. Dell have likely lost a lot of pull from Microsoft ever since they started offering Ubuntu as an option on their systems (I don't know whether they still do this though). Plus if MS aren't doing upgrade discs at all then why would a PC manufacturer be able to get them.

If they've promised Windows 7 when it comes out then they will provide Windows 7 when it comes out. Regardless of what form it comes in.

Bill

I highly doubt that. Dell have likely lost a lot of pull from Microsoft ever since they started offering Ubuntu as an option on their systems (I don't know whether they still do this though). Plus if MS aren't doing upgrade discs at all then why would a PC manufacturer be able to get them.

If they've promised Windows 7 when it comes out then they will provide Windows 7 when it comes out. Regardless of what form it comes in.

Didn't know they were offering Ubuntu. And even if they give you retail discs, you can still use these to upgrade rather than clean install, can't you?

twelve

I'm not dead
Didn't know they were offering Ubuntu. And even if they give you retail discs, you can still use these to upgrade rather than clean install, can't you?
Yeah I think so. Can't do it the other way around obviously.

Bill

Yeah I think so. Can't do it the other way around obviously.

Well you "can", you just have to work around the fact that you can't boot from the disc. You "could" just get a vista install disc (which don't require a product key at install) then use the upgrade disc to do a clean install of Windows 7. (You can do this with the Vista Anytime Upgrade discs, so I would imagine the same could be done with these new discs.)

twelve

I'm not dead
Well you "can", you just have to work around the fact that you can't boot from the disc. You "could" just get a vista install disc (which don't require a product key at install) then use the upgrade disc to do a clean install of Windows 7. (You can do this with the Vista Anytime Upgrade discs, so I would imagine the same could be done with these new discs.)
I've got a Vista upgrade version and it's always been pretty much a clean install anyway regardless of whether you upgrade or not. Only difference I've seen is that with an upgrade you end up with a Second Windows folder on your C drive containing your old installation.

twelve

I'm not dead
Yep, I meant to post here earlier. I got an email this morning.

Apparently the preorder discount only runs until 9th August (not even a full month :eek:).

Didn't realise we were getting a different version over here as well. We're getting Windows 7 E. I can only assume E stands for Europe, and the only difference is that it doesn't come with Internet Explorer
rave.gif

Hellcat

Contributor
If we get the stripped E version in Germany as well I will buy it, but use a downloaded US version for install (with my legit key) :p

twelve

I'm not dead
Why would you do that? If you buy 7 E then why not just install it and then download IE8 afterwards if you really need it. IE8 is the only difference, nothing else is missing. Personally I definitely won't be installing IE8 until I find something that absolutely must have it.

xploren

Contributor
Why would you do that? If you buy 7 E then why not just install it and then download IE8 afterwards if you really need it. IE8 is the only difference, nothing else is missing. Personally I definitely won't be installing IE8 until I find something that absolutely must have it.

Steam? :mellow:

twelve

I'm not dead
Just in case anyone in Europe was wanting to Pre-order at the reduced price, you're too late. All pre-orders have been taken, in two days!