• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Problems with multiple programs, please help!

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Ok, so starting this morning, programs are crashing on me like crazy. I have Win7 64bit.

If I run guitar pro and audacity at the same time, audacity crashes, every single time. MSN Messenger immediately tells me that it cannot sign me in, and it works fine on my laptop.
As soon as I start my PC, an error pops up saying ATI Catalyst COntrol Centre: Host application has stopped working, it does this twice.
Norton also immediately pops two errors and then says this program has encountered an error: close now or look for solution online.
Every time I start google chrome, it says that it did not shut down properly, restore tabs?
When I hit the start menu, normally when you hover over an icon such as MS word, a list will appear of recent files with it, this no longer happens as well.

All of this has started to happen within the past day or two. I have tried system restoring to the two different points I have available, and neither does anyhting.

I have ran some virus scans, and it said I had a trojan, but it is gone now after scanning a few more times.

I have no idea what to do, is there any way I can fix these things or find out what is wrong? It all seems to have started after installing the new iTunes. I installed it so that I could update my Dad's ipad, and when i tried to update it, it kept giving me errors so I ended up doing it on my laptop. SO could iTunes be the root of all this? I find it hard to believe but hell i have no idea what's going on and I dont want to lose all my files!

Please help

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Wth? o_O I'd suggest back up your important stuff and format.

What it seems like is that most the executables in your computer have been compromised, I don't if it might have been the trojan though. Personally I would scan the computer with NOD32 or Kaspersky.

Last time something that crazy happened to me I had over 1000 viruses on my computer.

Hellcat

Contributor
Boot from a clean CD (some live system) and do a scan from there!
Anything else is usless.

If that doesn't show up anything, consider a HW defect, sounds like a memory issue.
You got multiple RAM bars installed or just a single one?
If you got multiple, take them all out and run the comp. with only one.
Cycle the RAMs till everyone is confirmed worky/nonworky.

Might want to do same with other components.

Wow, that is a doozy. To be honest, I wouldn't know where to start, those symptoms don't seem something that malware would cause.

How old is your install, and what version is it? In my personal experience, Windows installs (notably the older editions) tend to degrade over time.

Deathrow

The problem is clearly NTFS. I ran into similar symptoms and I can confirm the file system can easily be targeted and is possible it can deteriorate over time. Only option is do a system restore or clean disk install like Zero and Hellcat suggested.

This is why Microsoft operating systems are inferior in Apple's unix in terms of organizing data safely and correctly.

Hellcat

Contributor
Depends on the files.
I'd suggest (again ;)) the boot off a live-CD and run a virus scanner from there over your (data) files.

Did you do the hardware compenents checks? There's (slim?) chance you might not need to reinstall....

Though, I have to agree with Deathrow, the NTFS filesystem is not the most stable one.... AND gives many options to "infiltrate", mostly based on not telling the enduser about FS features (i.e. no GUI options to see/check them).

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Thanks, I will try this out!

I made the USB and everything, with the 32bit 9.10 as they say, and when I start it, it says

"Unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

Why the LiveCD again? The OS is still working isn't it?

I'd just move all the files I want to keep to an external HDD in the current install. In the case they are infected with malware, I'd run a scan in your new install from your AV of choice. If it's a filesystem problem, then that won't carry over either.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Yeah the OS. Still works fine.

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Ok well I am dumb, because I just put in my restore discs that I made when I bought the computer, and it gave me an option to backup all my files under C:/Backup, and reinstall the OS and default programs that it came with. So I am doing that now. I'll still have to reinstall all of my programs but whatever as long as this works and my files are not filled with viruses I should be fine hopefully.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Yeah the OS. Still works fine.

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Ok well I am dumb, because I just put in my restore discs that I made when I bought the computer, and it gave me an option to backup all my files under C:/Backup, and reinstall the OS and default programs that it came with. So I am doing that now. I'll still have to reinstall all of my programs but whatever as long as this works and my files are not filled with viruses I should be fine hopefully.

install an AV program ASAP and scan that backup folder