• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS Plus Extra could introduce trophies for the ps1, ps2 and psp classics?

Gabrieludens

The new PlayStation Plus membership levels will include hundreds of classic games for PS1, PS2 and PSP.

It would be great to have trophies for these titles as well. Jim Ryan has confirmed that the PS1, PS2 and PSP classics in question will receive several improvements (such as better graphics and extra features), but the entity of these improvements will be evaluated "on a case-by-case basis, for each individual game".

Is it possible to think that all of these classics will have trophies? Maybe just the most iconic games?

It's hard to think that the trophies will be implemented "ad hoc" for each individual game. Unless you think of some intelligent system capable of automating the trophy implementation process ... something that would have already leaked from an alleged patent filed by Sony.

What do you think and what do you expect?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
I was going to say don't get your hopes up, but I'd forgotten about that "trophies for older games" patent that specifically mentions emulation.

Is it possible we'll see trophies for these games? Absolutely. The way that patent describes the process sounds exactly like how they add achievements to emulated games over at RetroAchievements - the question is whether Sony was willing to put together teams of people to put the work in for each game, and how that would even work. Can they just add trophies to any game they like? Do the original devs or publisher need to sign off on it or be involved in the process themselves? It's hard to say. Adding achievements to old emulated games can be a buggy mess of a process too. Also consider that Xbox is the platform where achievements were born, and even they didn't add achievements to the OG Xbox games they added to backwards compatibility, even though they put a lot of work into their back compat releases.

On the other hand, the PS2 Classics on PS4 have trophies right? That sets a precedent at least. Those games are available for sale individually though and it sounds like these new ones will be exclusive to PS Plus, so they might not be handled the same way.

I'll go in expecting nothing and be very pleasantly surprised if we get anything. Given the large numbers of classic games they're advertising I suppose it would be more likely to be a select few with trophy support rather than all of the games. We'll see.

We'll get PS2 support on RetroAchievements sooner or later and they already have PS1 and PSP support, so while it would be nice to have "official" PS1/PS2/PSP trophies, it's not that big of a deal.

The new PlayStation Plus membership levels will include hundreds of classic games for PS1, PS2 and PSP.

It would be great to have trophies for these titles as well. Jim Ryan has confirmed that the PS1, PS2 and PSP classics in question will receive several improvements (such as better graphics and extra features), but the entity of these improvements will be evaluated "on a case-by-case basis, for each individual game".

Is it possible to think that all of these classics will have trophies? Maybe just the most iconic games?

It's hard to think that the trophies will be implemented "ad hoc" for each individual game. Unless you think of some intelligent system capable of automating the trophy implementation process ... something that would have already leaked from an alleged patent filed by Sony.

What do you think and what do you expect?
Really hope we get this also, would be great to have all playstation games on the ps5 together from different eras, trophies support I'm 50/50 if we get it or not, I really hope so and I think it would attract alot of new players as well as veterans, but as mentioned in previous posts if not we always have Retroachivements, which has an awesome group of people working on the service.