• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS2 - Hacking / Flashing / Chipping. Is it worth it?

TotalRocker

Hey, been reading through these forums for a few weeks and have found some useful info on here, with it being my first post as well would like to say Hello :)

I just sent my 360 off for repairs, for the second time, with RRoD. =[

Got a bit bored and went looking under my bed and pulled out my PS2, got me thinking, warranty is long gone on that thing and wondered if it's possible to hack/flash/chip it, to run copied games, homebrew or anything like that?

Just wondering if anyone has any info on where to start looking, if it's worth doing, are there many games available to *cough* download, any homebrews available for it?

Any help or advice would be appriciated :)

Rock,

Hello and welcome to the forums. :D

I think if you want help with PS2 modding, go to *

I have no help to offer.

xist

Yes it's more than worth it...if you set up Free McBoot you'll have access to a whole new world of fun. For starters ESR will let you run patched backups and if you have a fat PS2, and a Network Adapter then you can stick an IDE HDD inside the console and use HDLoader to run ISO's directly.

For more info there are some guides here.

Maattt

I just sent my 360 off for repairs, for the second time, with RRoD. =[

Got a bit bored and went looking under my bed and pulled out my PS2, got me thinking, warranty is long gone on that thing and wondered if it's possible to hack/flash/chip it, to run copied games, homebrew or anything like that?

I did the same thing with my Original Xbox when my 360 got RROD.

I flashed it.. and got a few homebrew on it was quite good but got my 360 back now so don't use it :p

pcstalljr

teen! hide your daughters
well i just used a simple MEM card exploit to hack it. simply to play that some of my backed up Kingdom Hearts games that my little brother scratched to all hell. but it was easy. and i dont regret it at all.

but whats weird. is i got the 360 when it came out. i have never gotten RRoD. ever...:bored:(is fearing its creeping up on me :p)