• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 and Media Streaming via Ad Hoc Network?

TotalRocker

Think this is more suited in this section personally. So here goes...

Has anyone had any experiance streaming media, mainly movies. From a wireless computer/laptop/mac to a PS3 using an Ad Hoc connection?

Reason being, hopefully going to University in September and planning on taking PS3, Laptop and TV. Currently got my PC streaming via TVersity all my movies etc through my router. Which, touch wood. Has not failed me yet.

However, in halls. It seems I'd only be getting one ethernet port and use of routers/switches are banned.

Would ad hoc be the best way to get around this? or would i just be better buying an usb ethernet adapter and bridging the connections?

Sorry if any terms or spellings are incorrect. I don't really know a great deal about networking.

Any help would be welcomed.

Thanks, :)

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I tried this awhile ago when all I had was internet from my from phone. Unfortunately I couldn't get the PS3 connected to PSN, even though xbox Live worked fine. i'm pretty sure I got TVersity running using that setup though so you just won't have access to the internet.

Even though they say no routers, bring one anyways and just turn off the wifi. No one noticed (or just didn't care) when I did it on my campus.

TotalRocker

Ahh, thanks. Interesting to know it worked at least for Live.

I think i might just take router, adapters etc with me and just have a play around while there.
It's not realy essential but just wanted a good idea if it was worth trying.
Cheers :)