• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

ps3 exploits

nevster

hello all, hope everyones all good

i was sat in all day today googling ps3 homebrew and found out there were some tiff exploits and other exploits found in 2006/07, basicly showing that they had managed to get games booting on the xmb but not being playable, and making the xmb crash which could be a gateway to other possible exploits... i know this isn't any new news, but i was wondering if anyone knew anything more about them or had any updates on them as i havn't managed to find out anything on them since early june last year.

i was also thinking about installing linux onto my ps3, but not sure if its worth it at the min, is it any good?

thanks
nevster

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I think nearly all of the PS3 exploits that turned up within the last few months have been confirmed fake.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Most exploits have been proved fake as x3sphere has stated - there was a tiff exploit in the devkit PS3 however it was patched in the retail - no known exploits exist.

As far as putting Linux on your PS3 - it's pretty useless, not something you need (seeing how you're writing this post, you have access to a computer) - it's more of a luxury item, not exactly useful at the moment - fun to try out, but I don't think you'll find much use for it

nevster

how about the rfom exploit team ice have found, been keeping my eyes on it for a few days now. looks pretty interesting

nevster

what i dont get is how they manage to find all these "exploits" out, like how would they know rfom would do what it does with the patch, even with the gta used on the psp how do they know they can use a patch on them?

do you think the ps3 will ever be homebrew activated?

darkstone

The "exploit" from team ICE is pretty much next to useless imo.

Anyway, unless if I'm mistaken, you would need a way to exploit the hypervisor too :p

The PS3 is a tough machine, and it will probably be a loooooong time away from being hacked :/

nevster

loving the darkside lol....

well anyway it was confirmed yesterday that team ice are no more, so if its gonna happen, it's still gonna be a while yet :(

a new team called team hax are forming, lets hope something good will come of them.

psychosync

There are contests wich give money to someone who can hack into something, there should be something like that for the PS3: "2000$ to anyone who can hack the PS3 into running unsigned code!" That would speed things up!

MenaceInc

Staff Member
There are contests wich give money to someone who can hack into something, there should be something like that for the PS3: "2000$ to anyone who can hack the PS3 into running unsigned code!" That would speed things up!

i remember they did that for mac OS X before....think it was just a itunes thing since it was a exploit possible through the windows version as well

Alex

you can play homebrew for the ps3 through linux, u cant get any good graphics tho becaus eof sony's implented hypervisor

Chilly Willy

Contributor
you can play homebrew for the ps3 through linux, u cant get any good graphics tho becaus eof sony's implented hypervisor

I think you mean you don't get fast 3D with all the bells and whistles. So it's not (yet) ideal for conversions of Quake 3 or similar. Otherwise the graphics are fine.

And it's not the hypervisor that's the issue - it's the lack of documentation on how to use the hypervisor to access the 3D. Sony's patches for linux show how to use it to do 2D blits and the like, but not 3D. It would be nice if they would. :sad:

Publishing that info wouldn't do anything to promote piracy - you still need to use the hypervisor to do anything, and you don't have access to Game OS from Other OS.