• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 PS3 On A PC Monitor?

Riorio99

I'm moving to Uni in a few months, and I don't want to have a TV License to pay because I never watch TV, but that means I can't legally own a television. This obviously creates a problem with playing my PS3.

Is there a way I can play my PS3 on a PC Monitor? It's a crappy LCD thing, and the PS3 is a 40gb Fat. I obviously want to spend as little money as possible, and VGA converters are fairly expensive, from what I've seen.

In short, what do I need to do to get a PS3 to run on a PC Monitor?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
a Tv license??? What is this you speak of?

As for hooking it up, if your monitor has a HDMI in port then it's possible.

Or if it has a DVI port*Not an attached cord, a port that you would put a dual ended DVI cable on* You can get a HDMI to DVI adapter and plug it in from HDMI(ps3)>DVI Adapter>Monitor

Amazon.com: Cables To Go - 40320 - 2M (6.6ft) Velocity HDMI to DVI ...

Brad

Yoshimi
Doing the above works good but you'll lose sound (HDMI->DVI, in most cases). The cheap way to get around this is use the SCART cable supplied with the PS3 and get a Red/White to Stereo adapter. Then you can just use some normal cheap PC speakers.

sspx0205.jpg
-That smaller thing is a coupler changing the thing from male to female. Radio shack has both those for around a dollar each.

On the PS3 tell it to output audio through SCART instead of HDMI

Or if you got a pretty phat audio system run through optical if it supports it.

Brad

Yoshimi
You can still set the output of audio to not HDMI though. So you really wouldn't lose it , you'd just need a seperate output

I think you read the post incorrectly. I'm saying do HDMI to DVI but to still have sound you will ALSO need the SCART cable for audio. You lose audio once your HDMI cable hits DVI (In most cases)

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I think you read the post incorrectly. I'm saying do HDMI to DVI but to still have sound you will ALSO need the SCART cable for audio. You lose audio once your HDMI cable hits DVI (In most cases)

Oh , yeah that is right. I wasn't even really thinking of HDMI as a carrier for Audio anyway. I tend to forget it carries both.

Seth

MD Party Room

eldiablov

Contributor
If you are going to university most will insist you pay your TV license if you have a TV, regardless of your intentions.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
That's really ridiculous. I don't think I would own a TV if I had to follow that law. I'd just watch the movies on my computer.