• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Ps3 should i buy it.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Well I was wondering if people think its worth the money buying a ps3. I would most likely only do it if there was a way to put a free version of linux on it and run some emulators if this is possible please tell me if it is firmware specific and wether I'd need to look for a certain version firmware. Also and this is very important too what emulators work for the ps3 on.

bwalker

i dont know about emulators and stuff but i believe yellowdog linux is free for the ps3. Also i think its worth even without all that stuff hd video and some good games coming soon.

seann33uk

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
That's cool, guys, but he's lookin for an emu machine, clearly. Which I understand completely. If that's pretty much all you're lookin for about 1/6 the price I'd go for an original Xbox, that's what I use mine for, it's softmodded, which is super-easy to do, and it rocks hardcore.:w00t:

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
hmmmm by softmod you mean not voiding warranty and stuff. Well anyways which emulators will it run? and does it run off of an internal hardrive or what. Just a little more in depth details please?

Cheezeball99

By softmodding it DOES in fact void your warranty, the way I did it at least (which is the easiest way IMO, but there are ways to do it without voiding warranties), but warrantys are overrated.:biggrin: It has emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy/Color/Advance, PSX (not perfect), etc. Plus you can make backups and play the burnt games, put movies and stuff, put in bigger harddrives, surf the internet with it, and much more stuff I cannot think of ATM. Yes it is all ran off of the HD, and it's super-awesome.

I can give ya the links to the resources 'n' such, if you're genuinely interested.

Cheezeball99

There is an N64 emulator for it, but it's not really that great, at all. Like, the same as Daedalus r10 or something, but it does run some games.

Cheezeball99

Are ya talkin' hardware or software wise? Because for the hardware, all you need is an xbox and a computer with a CD burner. And, like, a screwdriver. As for software I can hook ya up, no prob, so you don't have to gather it yourself, cuz it's quite a bit of work.

You got MSN or Yahoo messenger? PM or post your addy if you do, I can talk to ya about it, I'm on right now.

Darkchild

The Doctor
Buy a Wii it's far more entertaining and fun :3

oh..and cheaper, and it has embedded emus! And you can legally buy the roms! :D

Shinbu-Otaku

see i was gonna buy a ps3 but then all my friends said no man it sucks...and now they got me thinking that its bad...im probably still gonna get one...but i aint getting my hopes up

im gonna take 1 guess tht all ur mates own xbox's, and they only claim its crap because the ps3 is what the 360 wants to be. Simple example of the xbox 360 elite comes to mind, ps3 blows the 360' straight out of the water with everything it has fitted in it (granted its more expensive, but its dirt cheap for what ur getting), so M$ finally bow down to the fact they are gonna get owned if they dont try to better sony, hence the addition of HDMI and a bigger hard disk, but it then comes at a price similar to the ps3.

the ps3 is much better, granted im a fanboy neway, but for the stuff u get with the money u spend its worth every penny. and on top of tht, linux can run a vast amount of emulators neway, and its perfectly withing ur warranty to put linux & emulators on it, thus saving face for when ur 360 gets the red ring of doom (and at about a 40% failure rate atm, which they deny, but as its M$ its gonna be true coz they cant make nething right) ur better in the long run buying a ps3. obviously its ur money, so i cant say 'buy a ps3 as ur life depends on it', but imho a ps3 would be worth it more than the xbox, both in the linux emulators, and tht sony dont have plans to upgrade it unlike M$ as the ps3 is future-proofed for at least 5years

Cheezeball99

the ps3 is much better, granted im a fanboy neway

when ur 360 gets the red ring of doom(and at about a 40% failure rate atm, which they deny, but as its M$ its gonna be true coz they cant make nething right)

I think the ridiculous claims nullify themselves with the previous comment.:mellow:

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Well I basically have around 700$ to spend what do you think would be a better idea it's between xbox360 and ps3. I kinda wanna run emus. I like the online for free with ps3 too which even though the initial price is more is leaning me to ps3 I also have a psp which is being more and more integrated with ps3 slowly sooooo. With all that in mind should I still egta n xbox 360 like I know they have awesome games but I don't think sony is gonna take it lying down and just give up. Any new insight?

J

Junit

It's your money but for your moneys worth and emulators , I'd soft mod an xbox , buy a 250gb harddrive and just run emulators through that and have some cash left over for yourself , or you could buy a ps3 and have enough for 1 game? but its your money ^^

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Its done you can close thread I'm buyying an xbox 360 :) Just might have to wait a while anyone know if any price cuts comming and can someone maybe recommend a game besides gears of war, and lost plant. O yea one more thing I've been told elite isn't much better that true?

Cheezeball99

Well, the elite has the 120GB HD, an actual HDMI port for HD, and quieter running, which is pretty much the most important feature, IMO. The 360, when it revs up, is pretty damn loud, but on the elite, apparently, that's changed.

For games I'd suggest Oblivion, Crackdown, FEAR, The Outfit, Enchanted Arms, Rainbow Six Vegas, Dead Rising, Call of Duty 3, Battlefield 2 and Ghost Recon: AW 2. But that's just me.:biggrin: You can probably pick up Battlefield 2 and The Outfit for less than 40 bucks altogether, which I would HIGHLY suggest both, they're VERY good values for the money.

Also, since you're goin' 360, you actually still have enough for an original Xbox to softmod too, considering they're only about 100 bucks, man!