• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSU making weird ass noise, Borked?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Okay, so a few days ago my brother's custom mini-ATX rig I built about 3 months ago started making this weird ass noise.

At first I thought it was the CPU fan , so I stopped the fan with my finger and that wasn't it.

I then pinpointed the sound to the PSU
which is linked below
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W ...
(was 40$ when I bought it)

Just my bad luck or what? It's worked perfectly fine until a few days ago it's still practically brand new.

Computer performance hasn't been affected AFIK but the noise is Really fucking loud as linked below looped twice (Note however it sounds a bit distorted due to increasing the volume of the recording by 150%)
WTF.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

so do you guys think it's borked and I should try to RMA it?

Adiuvo

A lot of the reviews complain about the PSU fan noise, so you should probably RMA it. Personally I'd just get a better PSU from a better brand like Corsair or Antec, but it sounds like your brother's rig is a budget one so that might not be an option.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Yeah, Total cost for everything was under 4/500$ it does everything it needs to very well.

I'll probably RMA , but the problem is I'm moving to another state soon and the box to the PSU is packed somewhere >.> gotta find it