• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Question about homebrew

El Diablo

Okay, so I'm a complete noob and know nothing about homebrew and what not on NDS, but my brother has a DS and I was looking at trying to do stuff on it because using an emulator on my PC isn't the same.

My question is what do you need exactly to be able to get started and do shit? I was doing a little reading and people kept talking about flashcarts and all different types of them. Is that bassically like a fake game cartridge you have to buy and kind of run your stuff through there? If you do need one, how much do they normally cost and is there a "best one"?

I think my brother has the original DS or a lite if that makes a difference.

I'm a complete noob and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Spiros

Maiki
Flash carts are just game carts that allow the execution of homebrew and roms. There are loads to choose from, some are better than others but all do the same thing. I got the M3 DS Real just because it handled GBA roms easily. But there are loads to choose from, you can get an R4 which is probably the most well known flash cart available, there's DSTT which I bought for my cousins DS, it was cheap, and worked fine(just lacked some of the extra multimedia features you never end up using).

It's up to you which one you get, google them, read the pros and cons, and decide which ones for you.

Also, pretty much all flash carts require the use of a Micro SD card to store your data.

One more note: if the name of a flash cart ends with an "i"(ie: DSTTi, R4i), that means it's for the DSi.

explosions

I recently got a M3i zero and would fully recommend it. It's not the easiest flashcart to setup, but once you get it working it is pretty amazing. The M3 Sakura software is great, and the firmware on the card is upgradeable.

Seth

MD Party Room
Flash carts are just game carts that allow the execution of homebrew and roms. There are loads to choose from, some are better than others but all do the same thing. I got the M3 DS Real just because it handled GBA roms easily. But there are loads to choose from, you can get an R4 which is probably the most well known flash cart available, there's DSTT which I bought for my cousins DS, it was cheap, and worked fine(just lacked some of the extra multimedia features you never end up using).

It's up to you which one you get, google them, read the pros and cons, and decide which ones for you.

Also, pretty much all flash carts require the use of a Micro SD card to store your data.

[HIGHLIGHT]One more note: if the name of a flash cart ends with an "i"(ie: DSTTi, R4i), that means it's for the DSi.[/HIGHLIGHT]

They also work just fine on the dsl,

El Diablo

Hey bumping this up for one last question because I'm going to order one. I now know my brother has a DS lite, is there a specific card for the lite or are DS and DS lite ones the same?

Also I want to be able to play my GBA back ups as well as DS ones, is there a specific type I need to order for that or anything special? In the link Spiros posted it talks about a GBA expansion pack or something so is that something else I would have to order for GBA games to work?

When I was looking on google this came up M3 Perfect Lite microSD for Nintendo DS ROMs so I'm confused by what exactly I need to be able to play both DS and GBA games, so if anyone could specify and correct me I would love you forever.