• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Question about Quad cores

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
If I were to get a new mobo with a quad core CPU.

Would using programs that are optimized for a dual core have any performance issues?

Basically for example if I wanted to Run PCSX2. Which is optimized atm for only up to dual cores.

Would It only use 2 of the cores and get the same performance as a setup with just a dual core?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I've been playing catchup with computer technology lately. I'm out of date

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
No, it just wouldn't be using your quad core to its full potential. The only thing to note is usually dual cores are clocked higher than quads, so in order to get the same performance you may need to overclock to compensate for the clock speed difference. Depends on what chip you buy of course, as some like the i5 and i7 do more work per MHz. A 2.66 GHz (stock) i7 is probably equivalent in clock to an E8500 at 3.2GHz when using only two cores.

Essentially, applications optimised for dual cores will only make use of those two cores, and leave the others free. And like x3sphere said, later generation quads will do more more clock-for-clock. For Core 2, the Q6x00 series is older than the Q8x00 & Q9x00 series, and as such will do less for each clock. What CPU are you looking at?

maryjohn

Banned
Hey dear..

yup it will give u better performance compare to c2d.. because it has twice cycle (that means 4 cycles)
that is also depend your GHz of your cpu if c2d is 3.8Ghz and Quard cores is 1.8 then its all work like qual..