• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Questions about iPhone4 and jailbreaks.

Spiros

Maiki
So, I'm quite new to the world of iOS and Jailbreaks; I got my first iPhone, the iPhone4 like a month ago, and I would like to jailbreak it eventually but I have questions that google isn't being all that helpful with.

First, I remember reading awhile ago that if your iDevice is jailbroken that you won't be able to sync with iTunes any longer, is this really a big deal as I use the App store on the iPhone and only copy content over to the iPhone manually through iTunes?

And so now, I've been reading about the new greenpois0n jailbreak that uses SHAtter, which supposedly permanently jailbreaks your iPhone, I'm just curious what this means for me, the more I google I still can't seem to find any more info on it, every page has the same information, just re-worded.

So any information would be great on this new jailbreak and what SHAtter is, and if there are any downsides to jailbreaking.

Thanks.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
So, I'm quite new to the world of iOS and Jailbreaks; I got my first iPhone, the iPhone4 like a month ago, and I would like to jailbreak it eventually but I have questions that google isn't being all that helpful with.

First, I remember reading awhile ago that if your iDevice is jailbroken that you won't be able to sync with iTunes any longer, is this really a big deal as I use the App store on the iPhone and only copy content over to the iPhone manually through iTunes?

And so now, I've been reading about the new greenpois0n jailbreak that uses SHAtter, which supposedly permanently jailbreaks your iPhone, I'm just curious what this means for me, the more I google I still can't seem to find any more info on it, every page has the same information, just re-worded.

So any information would be great on this new jailbreak and what SHAtter is, and if there are any downsides to jailbreaking.

Thanks.

Jailbreaking your phone does NOT break your ability to sync via iTunes. Wouldn't worry about that.

SHAtter, as far as I am aware, does NOT jailbreak your iPhone 'for life'. If you update to 4.2 or whatever in the future then you'll still lose it. However, from what I can tell it means that any currently manufactored iOS device can be jailbroken and will be able to jailbreak in the future.

So, everytime you upgrade the OS, you'll lose it but you'll be able to reapply it. If that makes sense...

As for downsides...I haven't really come across any as such. Personally, I wasn't interested in anything except custom SMS tones but there are other uses that other users have for their jailbreaks here.

Before anyone says ANYTHING, I do not mean piracy. I don't condone piracy and feel that it is up to the user if they want to do it or not....*sigh* I shouldn't have to add that disclaimer :S

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
Jailbreaking your phone does NOT break your ability to sync via iTunes. Wouldn't worry about that.

SHAtter, as far as I am aware, does NOT jailbreak your iPhone 'for life'. If you update to 4.2 or whatever in the future then you'll still lose it. However, from what I can tell it means that any currently manufactored iOS device can be jailbroken and will be able to jailbreak in the future.

So, everytime you upgrade the OS, you'll lose it but you'll be able to reapply it. If that makes sense...

As for downsides...I haven't really come across any as such. Personally, I wasn't interested in anything except custom SMS tones but there are other uses that other users have for their jailbreaks here.

Before anyone says ANYTHING, I do not mean piracy. I don't condone piracy and feel that it is up to the user if they want to do it or not....*sigh* I shouldn't have to add that disclaimer :S

I also jail-broke for custom SMS tones. Every time I jailbreak it's for something small that I feel the phone should be able to do already.

@Spiros I've notice that my iphones becomes slightly less responsive and glitchy after I jailbreak. not so much with the IP4 as it was with the 3G and 3GS.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Everything MenaceInc said is correct.

With the SHAtter jailbreak, since it is a bootrom exploit, the iOS device will always be capable of a jailbreak, but you still need to wait for someone to implement it for every new firmware version. Currently the 2G and 3G have bootrom exploits which is why they can be jailbroken at 4.1 where the latest firmware for the 3GS and 4 is still at 4.0.2

When they say Jailbreakable for life, they mean software updates cannot block the jailbreak.

The opposite of what the PSGroove exploit is, so to say.

A Restore will "re-virginize" your iPhone, most (if not all) of the jailbreak is erased.

Spiros

Maiki
Thanks guys, just wanted to be prepared for when greenpois0n is released.

So just so I got this right, SHAtter is basically a kernel exploit that cannot be fixed by apple without a hardware revision, so each new firmware will only require a user-level(?) exploit for the jailbreak to "re-un-virginize"(lol) my iPhone?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Thanks guys, just wanted to be prepared for when greenpois0n is released.

So just so I got this right, SHAtter is basically a kernel exploit that cannot be fixed by apple without a hardware revision, so each new firmware will only require a user-level(?) exploit for the jailbreak to "re-un-virginize"(lol) my iPhone?

Without getting into pedantics, yes that's how it works.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
@Spiros I've notice that my iphones becomes slightly less responsive and glitchy after I jailbreak. not so much with the IP4 as it was with the 3G and 3GS.

ah, so i'm not the only one to have suffered from the responsive/glitchyness, i just figured i messed sometin up, but it didn't happen often enough for me to worry about fixing it.