• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Ram

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
I don't know exactly how much ram 2038mb translates to GB; if it even does.

At any rate, the only reason why I'm asking about this is because

A) L4D lags, horribly.

and

B) I was wondering if there were any other ways to get more, other than buying some cards and putting them on the Motherboard. But, the issue with that, is: I'm on a laptop.

Joey

2048 is 2 GB's...

It might not be the RAM. In fact, it's probably not. Your laptop probably has a shitty graphics card, if it doesn't have integrated graphics.

eighty4

I don't know exactly how much ram 2038mb translates to GB; if it even does.

At any rate, the only reason why I'm asking about this is because

A) L4D lags, horribly.

and

B) I was wondering if there were any other ways to get more, other than buying some cards and putting them on the Motherboard. But, the issue with that, is: I'm on a laptop.

You can download more RAM if you need to. It's all over the internet. [BLACKOUT]</sarcasm>[/BLACKOUT]

Laptops aren't great for gaming, even with dedicated graphics. Could you post some specs and how you're trying to run L4D?

However, I doubt RAM is an issue here. 2GB is plenty for Left 4 Dead, it's most likely your other components.

Dan

Contributor
It will be your graphics card most likely. Post your specs.

But yeah, download some RAMS anyway, like eighty4 said. /eyeroll

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Well, I'm running Vista Home Basic. 2038mb of Memory, 32-bit OS.

Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz Processor.

Anything else?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM EST ----------

Oh, graphics area says: Desktop Performance for Windows Aero.

Yet, I can run... Wait... Lightwave 3D is totally different, correct?

=======
Ok, eighty4; enough with the sarcasm, please?

EDIT 2: Can a mod delete this thread if possible? :D

Judging by the age of your CPU, I would assume your graphics to be somewhat sub-par. Anyway, try this:
  • Turn down the settings, lowest res possible with lowest detail. Try grabbing an FPS config as well (Like this one).
  • Grab Game Booster. It will toggle those Aero effects and optimize Vista for gaming.
  • Play plugged in. Your CPU & GPU systems will throttle themselves to save power when unplugged.
  • Are you playing over WiFi? Try stopping the Zero Configuration service, this will stop lag spikes every 60 seconds.
  • If you do have an Intel GMA as your graphics system, you may want to try GMABooster as well. It advertises a 2.4 performance boost by clocking GPU speeds higher without affecting voltages (arguably safe).

This may get you to a playable framerate, but I would recommend playing this on a better equipped PC to enjoy L4D fully.

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Well. I'm going to be switching to either XP or Ubuntu, since they seem to have a lot less problems; that I've noticed.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Ubuntu would be a poor choice for playing Left 4 Dead, seeing as it can't, even with WINE...

Wine-Doors can.

I played TF2 with Wine. Didn't even lag.

But yes, it requires a great amount of crap and it'd be easier just to use another partition for Windows. Plus, Wine itself is a security risk.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Huh, I know TF2 works, but I was under the impression L4D was still incompatible, menu's wouldn't load and crashes on loading a map.

AFAIK they all use the same engine(Source, right?), and it's the engine that works.

None of those games work by default, Wine-Doors installs and modifies certain things to make said games work.

Hardrive

Contributor
Wine-Doors can.

I played TF2 with Wine. Didn't even lag.

But yes, it requires a great amount of crap and it'd be easier just to use another partition for Windows. Plus, Wine itself is a security risk.
You can't play at native resolution with vsync and AA/AF. I've tried, and certainly have the hardware to do it. I'm sorry, but Windows games in Linux just isn't quite there yet.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
You can't play at native resolution with vsync and AA/AF. I've tried, and certainly have the hardware to do it. I'm sorry, but Windows games in Linux just isn't quite there yet.

I'm telling you, it ran perfectly. It required lots and lots of tweaks, but it worked and it worked fine, eventually.

It's just annoying, difficult, long, and varies from hardware, along with even wine version.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Running games under Wine generally cuts performance in half because the drivers are lacking lots of optimizations. If he's barely able to run it on Windows it'd be a slideshow in Linux.

Your problem is not RAM, L4D can run comfortably on 1GB, it's the graphics card.