• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Random reset

Bran

Yell
My desktop (is a giant broken piece of shit) randomly resets itself for no reason. I does not give any errors, when windows restarts it does not say anything is wrong with the disk nor does it think it shutdown improperly. I thought it might have been the PSU but I bought a new one a while ago and it still does this.

It's random too. Some times it'll restart itself immediately after booting, some times it'll do it after week of running with no problem. It's a torrent box that does not even have a monitor so it's not that important, I'm just confused by it's behavior. I'm not going to buy any parts to repair it, I'm just musing over it and wondering if anyone knows anything.

Although I do plan on building a new machine when Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 come out or I get a job. Whichever comes first. Discussion could change to that if it's easier and less of a waste of a thread. I've always pondered the differences between intell and AMD/Nvidia and ATI and what the hell would make a better/cheaper rig.

Bran

Yell
the computer is missing it's door and the heat synk is fucking huge and works just fine.

The goo is old and shitty but the thing will run in bios just fine and the temp says it is normal.

I don't know though. It's fucking freezing outside I'll put the thing in the window and see if it makes a difference

Bran

Yell
I'm gonna go buy some new thermal paste and remount my processor. If it's overheating that should help. It's had the same old shit for like 4 years.

I always over look the simple solutions.

Bran

Yell
I have a feeling it's my RAM or the mobo itself at this point.

I realize after some trial and error debugging that one of my ram cards is completely dead. the comp still restarts constantly with the one that still "works" in it.

Also the comp restarts a helluva lot more often with the ram that works in the slot that the ram that didn't work was in. So maybe it's a mobo problem also...

I think this computer is just dead. Which is sad cause the processor is nice (3.2Ghz dual Pentium 4), if it still works still though I don't know.

Seth

MD Party Room
z357x said:
Although I do plan on building a new machine when Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 come out or I get a job. Whichever comes first. Discussion could change to that if it's easier and less of a waste of a thread. I've always pondered the differences between intell and AMD/Nvidia and ATI and what the hell would make a better/cheaper rig.
Now it not the time to be building a pc... Watting for windows 7 and intel i7 to come out then build it...

Intell and nvidia are the top dogs.... and AMD and ATI just cant keep up with them...

Tho I myself picked amd over intel...I do like them as a brand better...and it does a great job doing everything I ask for...

Also to me it just sounds like it over heating...

Bran

Yell
Vanden said:
Now it not the time to be building a pc... Watting for windows 7 and intel i7 to come out then build it...

Intell and nvidia are the top dogs.... and AMD and ATI just cant keep up with them...

Tho I myself picked amd over intel...I do like them as a brand better...and it does a great job doing everything I ask for...

Also to me it just sounds like it over heating...
I know for a fact that it's not over heating. The bios says the heat is fine and I got some programs to monitor the temp. There is no overheat issue.

I feel like it's the ram, mobo, or the actual HD. Or a combination of the three.

I'm not going to be using a legit copy of windows anyway probably. So what's the problem with making something sooner than later? I'm not going to make a shit kicker machine, I just want to be able to play Diablo 3/Starcraft 2 without any lag.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
z357x said:
wait what the hell is intel i7?
new series of intel processors that has 2 threads per core instead of one.
Not only are they 45nm, but they are also much cheaper than their core 2 brethren. There is also a speed increase.

depending on your budget, i don't know if your going to want to buy it. You will mostly like want to go with a core 2 duo/quad so it is cheaper.

I'm thinking about buying it and so far it's going to cost:

$300 for lowest core i7(920)
$300 for EVGA X58 motherboard
$125 for 4gb DDR3 RAM

Bran

Yell
Greyone said:
new series of intel processors that has 2 threads per core instead of one.
Not only are they 45nm, but they are also much cheaper than their core 2 brethren. There is also a speed increase.
sounds good to me.