• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Region Free Wii

o2byzst

Is there such a thing as a Region Free Wii? I know the GameCube had the Panasonic Q which was a serious upgrade to the actual GameCube and was of course "region free". I was curious if there was anything like this or maybe a boot disc or trick to allow me to play import games on the Wii.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Is there such a thing as a Region Free Wii? I know the GameCube had the Panasonic Q which was a serious upgrade to the actual GameCube and was of course "region free". I was curious if there was anything like this or maybe a boot disc or trick to allow me to play import games on the Wii.

The only way to bypass region protection on the Wii at the moment is by getting a hardware based mod-chip solution (such as the WiiKey).

There's been some interesting developments in the Wii scene as of late though (see here) so that could change soon.