• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Religious advertisments

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
lately i've noticed that religious television advertisement's have become much more prominent, commercials promoting Christianity, or Scientology have been the most prominent that i've noticed, however it's mostly the Christianity one's that i don't see eye to eye with, their using alot of "i know you did bad stuff, so join us" type of advertising

it's beginning to feel like this is their new way of spreading their messages to get people to join their religion, and while you can change the channel, imo it's a bit intrusive to be pushing faith onto people through this approach, any other thoughts?

january39

eXo Staff
Never happens in the UK, i have seen zero religious advertising in the UK - We get 'Songs of praise' on a Sunday, and that's about it.

I would not be happy if they started either.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
My sister's 4 months pregnant and we're were discussing religion the other day. She said that she's having the child baptised as soon as possible and in the same breath admitted that she doesn't hold any faith but is doing it to fit in. That's one of the main ways that the Roman Catholic church has roped people in it seems, by peer pressure and 'tradition'.

Also, I doubt that the ASA would explicitly allow religious advertising based on that it might offend someone somewhere and they may get all of 3 complaints.

Serideth

I'm sure this is more of an American thing than it is a Christian thing to be honest, never seen anything like that in Europe.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It's a relative new thing from what I've seen. My church did a commercial and it really surprised me (first time I've ever seen a commercial for a church...). I'm definitely not a fan of churches whoring themselves out like that

Adiuvo

Yeah it's a big part of the Christian doctrine, original sin and part of the reason why I despise Christianity.

Catholic doctrine, actually. So despise Catholicism ;)

I've never seen an ad for a church before over here in California, short of those megachurches and I don't consider those real churches. They're more of a business than a church. Anyways, if a normal church ran an ad I'd consider that abuse of the donations. Those donations are supposed to go to the upkeep of the church and for donations; not to run ads to get more people to join.

Adiuvo

Pretty much every church is a business.
Also original sin (or any form of Adamic guilt) comes from Genesis so should be in all major forms of Christianity even if it's never referred to by name.
Romans 5:12-21

That verse is often referenced to argue in favor of original sin, but it's usually taken out of context. Here's a fantastic explanation highlighting that.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Religion needs to advertise? That just means nobody believes in such theories any more.

This is just a sign of how society has changed and doesn't need certain things to keep living normal lives. Im glad they are advertising more, like all dynasties, they fall.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I have yet to see a commercial for a church.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
hmm, it can't be my area, i've seen the advertisment's on networks like G4, and ABC/FOX which are both through DISH

angelsniper45

Surprisingly I live in a suburb west of Dallas and we get this a lot, but in my neighboorhood it's always for the Korean churches that are in the area, it's subtle but gets annoying. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this against any form of Christianity?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Surprisingly I live in a suburb west of Dallas and we get this a lot, but in my neighboorhood it's always for the Korean churches that are in the area, it's subtle but gets annoying. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this against any form of Christianity?

Free speech.
I'm fairly sure Jesus didn't have 21st century television media in mind when he told his followers to go out and spread his word.