• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Remove Nvidia Physx?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Is Physx just for gaming?

If so, since I don't game at all, would it be safe to remove?

I'd obviosly keep the main display drivers, but is physx needed?

elite

Oldie moldie
Now about physx being fake....there is no hardware in nvidia cards that gives them some magical exclusive ability to process physx.Physx was not even originally created by nvidia.They simply bought out a company that made cheap dedicated gpus just for that purpose.A ati card can run hardware physx by modding the physx drivers.(Tom's Hardware : Hardware News, Tests and Reviews is simply disabled for marketing purposes.As another stab in the back to its customers people who bought the dedicated physx cards before nvidia bought agea out had there cards disabled in a driver update from nvidia.Also people who paid for nvidia card to use as dedicated physx also had it disabled by driver updates (you would think nvidia would be grateful simply to get customers at this point.However luckily no thanks to nvidia it can be re-enabled using modded drivers.
Source

Cloudy

As for as I can see, that was never actually released. So that source is a bit lame, but oh well.

Anyway, yes you can disable Nvidia Physx - however, there isn't really any point - it only runs when it has to and wouldn't degrade system performance in the mean time.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Some games require it to be installed, even if it's not actually used, so I'd just leave it.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Is it autoinstalled every time i upgrade my nvidia drivers?