• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

(Request) Combine duplicate games in different platforms

Jotadelgado

In the list of achievements, if you play on different platforms, you can have duplicate games. I propose that games that are called the same, can be combined in a single game on the list, and thus not have duplicates.

I show you an example image, with the design that would appear in the list, with the platforms and the achievements achieved in each one through a progress bar. Something similar to when several xbox, xbox one or w10 tags appear. I think that way we will have a much cleaner list.

Turn this :

Captura de pantalla 2022-08-27 103058.png

In this:
Capturasdasdasd3058.jpg

Last edited:

Retodon8

I should probably give this some more thought, but I think I like this idea. Your mock-up shows the "last played" for both versions, I specifically looked for that. 👍

Hmm, it doesn't show on your images, but achievements/trophies show below the game's image and title when available. If I own the game on multiple platforms, some/all of which support achievements, it would quite a tall entry in the list of games. Maybe it could/should only show the achievements for the most recent session's platform?

mcnichoj

It looks nice but could be a nightmare to code and might put extra stress on the servers when loading. Then factor in any given game can have like ten different versions, that would result in pretty big boxes. It looks clean with just a couple versions but once you start getting to those more crazy games if will look really messy.

Jotadelgado

I understand that it is normal for you to have the game with achievements, on 2 or 3 platforms at most. In addition, I have hidden the games that are without achievements, so everything is cleaner. This should be taken into account for the list. It's also optional.

About the stress on the server, I don't think so, precisely because of what was said before, only games with more than 1 achievements would be shown, the others would be left hidden. I don't see it necessary to show games that you don't have or that you have achievements, it's unnecessary.

Ideally, an average of 3 platforms per box would be, with that I think it would be enough, even the last 3 platforms played. I doubt that people play the same game on more than 3 platforms with achievements included.

YouGotHitByGunner

Enforcer
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I doubt that people play the same game on more than 3 platforms with achievements included.

You'd be surprised. XD When I love a game a lot, I want to complete it on as many platforms as possible and I guarantee you there are plenty of other people doing it.

Maybe it could/should only show the achievements for the most recent session's platform?

I don't like that idea personally, when I share my completions in communities or with friends, I like to take a screenshot of all the versions of the game I've completed. That won't be possible anymore if only the most recent one shows progress.

---

What I don't like about this suggestion is that I already see some issues with it. It will introduce lots of edge cases where different games under the same name (like you see with re-makes lately but not limited to those) will show progress together. One game I can think of is Tomb Raider (2013 re-remake) and the original Tomb Raider (PS1). I'd assume that if x3sphere implements this suggestion, it will go together with game relationships that is being used in the back-end. And game relationships automatically get built based on the game name. We can't change their names to something else (since those are their original ones) so how should we go about it?

Jotadelgado

I think what you mention can be fixed quickly:

- As I mentioned, this should be an optional feature to activate on each person's profile.
- You could put a maximum of 3 with an icon like 'see more' to show the rest
- In addition, you can use the filtering of games by platform to find the one you are looking for, example: Tomb Raider I + Google Play
- About the names, Tomb Raide 1996 is already called "Tomb Raider 1" and Tomb Raider 2013, only "Tomb Riader" that different one is already done on the site and in most game databases (IGDB, SteamGridDB, Steam, etc.) so that doesn't happen.
- If this happens in any game, it would be solved by putting the release year in the title, for example "Tomb Raider (2013)".

Captura de pantalla 2022-08-28 124338.png

Retodon8

I don't like that idea personally, when I share my completions in communities or with friends, I like to take a screenshot of all the versions of the game I've completed. That won't be possible anymore if only the most recent one shows progress.
Like I said, something like this deserves some careful consideration, something I didn't have time for yet. :) I was talking specifically about the main profile page that shows the most recent gaming sessions. I was going to say it could/would show achievements for all platforms on other pages, but now I realize those other pages are for specific platforms, so it would actually make less sense to show your achievements there than on the main profile, and I also realize you can sort by "recent" or by "title" on any page, so in short: I don't like my own idea anymore either.

I did already consider Game X being released on Platform A and B in 1990, then as a remake on Platform C in 2020, maybe with an identical title, maybe not, and figured this would take some manual actions no matter what. Is a remake the same as the original? Maybe it has a whole now level built in. It depends, and I'm sure people would disagree in some cases too. Some games with identical names have nothing to do with each other too.

Shop Titans was recently advertised as free on Epic, so I started playing there. The in-game account I made I could sync with iOS and Steam, so now I earn 3 sets of achievements simultaneously. (Actually I need to start the game on any platform for it to unlock to achievement there, and for some reasons the achievements are not quite the same everywhere.)

Mcdonald

I actually think the biggest weakness of exophase (its still an amazing website) is the way lists are displayed. You have compact and normal, and thats it.

Would be nice to be able to display things as lists (like steamhunters) and show stats like average time completion, last played etc.

mcnichoj

I understand that it is normal for you to have the game with achievements, on 2 or 3 platforms at most. In addition, I have hidden the games that are without achievements, so everything is cleaner. This should be taken into account for the list. It's also optional.

About the stress on the server, I don't think so, precisely because of what was said before, only games with more than 1 achievements would be shown, the others would be left hidden. I don't see it necessary to show games that you don't have or that you have achievements, it's unnecessary.

Ideally, an average of 3 platforms per box would be, with that I think it would be enough, even the last 3 platforms played. I doubt that people play the same game on more than 3 platforms with achievements included.
You keep mentioning multiple platforms so I guess you're unaware of the fact a single game can have multiple versions on a single platform. Go do a search for BioShock and tell me how many you see.
This is because some games such as BioShock you can re-play the game for a completely different but identical achievement/trophy list by just buying a disc (or swapping digital store front) from a different region. The original BioShock on the Xbox 360 you can play a version from the US (or most of Europe), Germany, Japan and Korea.
This doesn't happen that much on the Xbox side of things anymore but currently on the PlayStation side of things is RAMPANT. A lot of these crappy indie games will release with like eight versions if they launch on two different PlayStation consoles. Serious trophy hunters trying to get as many Platinum trophies as they can will get and play all of them. Also a lot of the niche Japanese RPG games will have multiple lists but the ones that release in the Asian regions will have their game names get scanned to these sites in their native character sets so the website devs will have to spend time identifying which games that have Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. language names are the same as their English counterparts so they all stack properly into your boxes.

Here are how the names scan for all the versions of Disgaea 4 JUST on the PS4 version:
Disgaea 4 Complete+
Disgaea 4 Complete+
魔界戦記ディスガイア4 Return
魔界戰記DISGAEA 4 Return
마계전기 디스가이아 4 리턴

I used to run a list of the multiple lists games on PlayStation and I fell so far behind very quickly. Guy after me gave up. The current guy is doing a crazy good job but he's really committed to it and that's because you have to be, otherwise you'll fall behind like I did. If he had to extend his efforts to other platforms, he'd probably get burnt out.

I admitted before, your template does look nice but it's not practical or at the very least I don't think it's worth the effort the devs would have to exert to implement it.

freeGidna

Did someone tell you that you have a beautiful blondie hairstyle? Anger from "Inside Out" is jealous of you.
Regarding the proposal - it's stupidity. I don't understand why to spend resources of the portal on certain series. Let's make "Tomb Raider" and "Super Mario" series, but keep 500+ games called "unknown_game" on Android etc. I am only a representative of Gpay but I consider this a waste of resources.

Last edited:
You keep mentioning multiple platforms so I guess you're unaware of the fact a single game can have multiple versions on a single platform. Go do a search for BioShock and tell me how many you see.
This is because some games such as BioShock you can re-play the game for a completely different but identical achievement/trophy list by just buying a disc (or swapping digital store front) from a different region. The original BioShock on the Xbox 360 you can play a version from the US (or most of Europe), Germany, Japan and Korea.
This doesn't happen that much on the Xbox side of things anymore but currently on the PlayStation side of things is RAMPANT. A lot of these crappy indie games will release with like eight versions if they launch on two different PlayStation consoles. Serious trophy hunters trying to get as many Platinum trophies as they can will get and play all of them. Also a lot of the niche Japanese RPG games will have multiple lists but the ones that release in the Asian regions will have their game names get scanned to these sites in their native character sets so the website devs will have to spend time identifying which games that have Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. language names are the same as their English counterparts so they all stack properly into your boxes.

Here are how the names scan for all the versions of Disgaea 4 JUST on the PS4 version:
Disgaea 4 Complete+
Disgaea 4 Complete+
魔界戦記ディスガイア4 Return
魔界戰記DISGAEA 4 Return
마계전기 디스가이아 4 리턴

I used to run a list of the multiple lists games on PlayStation and I fell so far behind very quickly. Guy after me gave up. The current guy is doing a crazy good job but he's really committed to it and that's because you have to be, otherwise you'll fall behind like I did. If he had to extend his efforts to other platforms, he'd probably get burnt out.

I admitted before, your template does look nice but it's not practical or at the very least I don't think it's worth the effort the devs would have to exert to implement it.
I hate to say it, this is one of the Major issues with some PSN trophies I have. Sony seems to just like to separate consoles for trophy listing the first few years of it's life.

Then there's cross save, which means for some PSN games, you can double or even triple your trophy count just by hitting load cloud save. There's Sound shapes which I got part of a Cross buy/PS+ on PSN. Look at Destiny 2, most of the PS5 Platnium owners did the whole game within a minute, due to Cross save.. I got most of my D2 Steam Achievements my first sitting. I could get the Xbox or PS5 version assuming I wanted/could to download it.

Going with Disgaea 4 again.. There's at least 4 PS3 versions and a PS Vita versions. Then there's the Windows 10 version, the Steam version, and finally the Nintendo Switch version! So that bring our total up to 12!