• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Router troubles

Sinfulfate

I just got a new router and after setting it up my internet is really slow and just hangs on most sites. Some pages like google/google searches load fine but other sites will take just hang(yahoo, ign, this site, etc). The router is an Airlink AR670w wireless n router. Internet works fine without the router and on my old router. The firmware is up to date and the problems happen on both wireless and wired connections. I have restarted the router/modem many times and have restored the defaults on the router and that didn't help. What could cause this?

Dan

Contributor
I don't know much about internet connection etc, but have you tried port forwarding?

Also, do you have anything that could interfere with your signal, such as a cordless phone?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've had similar issues in the past, with and without a router present. This problem is a tricky one, I myself don't recall how I fixed i when I had it. My suggestions would be to unplug your router, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in. If that doesn't have any affect try restarting your router to default settings (see the manual). If that doesn't work, try plugging your computer directly into the wall and see if that works <-- actually try that first

Make sure you don't have your wireless or wired network properties configured to a static IP or specific DNS server, sometimes that may cause problems as well

Sinfulfate

I don't know much about internet connection etc, but have you tried port forwarding?

Also, do you have anything that could interfere with your signal, such as a cordless phone?

I haven't tried port forwarding for this router but that site doesn't even list my routers model so not sure how I would go about doing that with this router. I do have a cordless phone in the next room but its a 5.8GHZ one which shouldn't effect my router right?

I've had similar issues in the past, with and without a router present. This problem is a tricky one, I myself don't recall how I fixed i when I had it. My suggestions would be to unplug your router, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in. If that doesn't have any affect try restarting your router to default settings (see the manual). If that doesn't work, try plugging your computer directly into the wall and see if that works <-- actually try that first
The wall? You mean directly into the modem? If so ya I've done that and the internet works fine that way. I have resetted, unplugged, and restored factory settings many times on the router and it didn't help.

Make sure you don't have your wireless or wired network properties configured to a static IP or specific DNS server, sometimes that may cause problems as well
I have both connections set to obtain IP/DNS automatically. I did configure a static IP for my wireless connection on my previous router so I could port forward for utorrent but now I have it set to obtain IP/DNS automatically(my wireless wouldn't work when the static IP was still set). Would that cause a conflict? I know when I had setup the router first with just a wired connection it was fine(I loaded yahoo to test I was online and it loaded fast now yahoo wont load at all) but once I got my wireless computer on the network it started going slow and not loading some pages.

I have done some more tests and my netflix streaming is working fine on xbox live with the router but the internet browser on my PS3 has the same problems as my PCs so maybe its an internet browser issue or something is configured wrong on my routers settings. Next time I try to fix it ill post how the router is configured. Also it turns out my router works with the dd-wrt open source router firmware so if all else fails ill just flash that firmware to my router and see if that helps.

LocutusEstBorg

If it works fine using just the modem, then just plug everything into the LAN ports on the router. Plug even the modem into a LAN port so the modem runs in gateway mode. Just use the router as a dumb switch/access point. Its pointless to have an extra hop on a home network, and an unstable one at that. Make sure DHCP is enabled only on the modem and not on the router. The modem's and router's IPs might be the same (192.168.1.1) by default, so change the router's IP to something else first and then plug in the modem.