• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[RPGs] Unsung Heroes.

Serideth

So we all know Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest, but a few years ago I found myself playing them for the bazzilianth time and wondering "what else is out there".

I played some great ones, and some horrible ones, but one RPG shone out above everything else out there -

Xenogears​

I still know very few people who know about this PS1 gem, less again who have played it. The story is amazing, gripping and emotional. The combat is fantastic and the character development it top class.

So does anyone else know of an underrated RPG that in your opinion is far better than the main stream RPGs?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I love XenoGears! Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks so. But I have another in the list I believe is one of the best (if not the best) RPGs of all time and few people know about it.

Chrono Cross

WTF I just noticed how old this thread is D: I just thought it'd make for good discussion.

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
nothing wrong with bumping an old thread :lol: i too love xenogears, however i am always disappointed after i finish the first disk. that just shows what can happen when a company is forced to make cuts :argh:

i came across a ps2 game a while back that is the spiritual successor to xenogears called xenosaga. its actually a trilogy of games, but ive only played the first one. it was a pretty good game, complete with a great story, good graphics, and of course you can fight with gears :D

here is the wikipedia article about the first game in the series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenosaga_Episode_I:_Der_Wille_zur_Macht

Bran

Yell
I love Chrono Cross. In fact, I love Chrono Cross FAR more than Chrono Trigger. Stick THAT in your nostalgia pipe and smoke it. Of course I also think Street Fighter 3 kicks the shit out of Street Fighter 2, so I consider myself a progressive thinker in that regard. Not that I don't have appreciation for old things, cause I also have that in spades.

As far as awesome RPG's I don't hear a lot about. SNES: Bahamut Lagoon. Damn fine SNES era RPG. Good graphics and cool story line. It's been a while since I played it so I can't remember the combat system exactly, but I do remember deriving much enjoyment from that game.

{Also who cares if the thread is old? Better than making a new one.}

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Vagrant Story was a pretty dam good RPG I thought. Also, Terranigma

This.